Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 8:18 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #26

    You wouldn't see them due to the angle in your pic. Darth Sabers design shows the placement of the top screws. The clamp screw painted black still makes since. I am going to paint mine and will post a pic when I do. I will try and match the angle of your pics to see what it would look like.
  2. BaronPapanoida is offline BaronPapanoida
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 10:34 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #27

    Wasn't there a little motor in the grip that connected to a thin dowel to spin it for the effects crew or was that just the ANH version?
  3. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,336
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 10:51 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #28

    The motor was never added to an actual Graflex. It was in the ANH stunt which was scratch built. The ESB stunts didn't make use of it.
  4. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,336
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 3:41 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #29

    Sorry-- just saw the request for this:

  5. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:02 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #30

    SethS said: View Post
    Sorry-- just saw the request for this:

    http://sethmsherwood.com//pretty/bump.jpg
    OK one down top grip screws to go lol. I have painted my clamp screw and will post a pic to compare but to me that's it! Just awesome!!!!!!
  6. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,465
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:13 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #31

    SethS said: View Post
    Sorry-- just saw the request for this:

    http://sethmsherwood.com//pretty/bump.jpg
    i still can't see them.. i feel like the guy from mall rats and that damn sailboat
  7. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:18 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #32

    He is showing the clamp screw. Still got to prove the top grip screws lol
  8. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,336
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:54 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #33

    Yeah-- top screws I don't know. I'm pointing out a black clamp screw (which I put on my ESB).

  9. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,465
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:55 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #34

    Sorry I was confused Seth, I thought u had a pic of the small black screws in the grips


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 4:59 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #35

    They are there lol
  11. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,659
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 6:33 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #36

    I love discussions like this - it's good to also use information that's already been hashed out as a base too.

    That mark may be evidence for a top grip screw, none of our resources has shown those on set yet. In fact, the Vader saber from ESB definitely did not have them, so we have assumed for now they were a post production, or at least post ESB addition.

    I've always seen a dark screw in the clamp too, glad that's being discussed

    The grip history is pretty well known now. We have pictures of the grips with no screws from early filming. Then some with no grips, around the same time. (Norway) and then some from later filming with grip screws. This works out with the story that they fell off from cold, and had to be quickly re-attached. The date of the picture is important here.

    Also call me brash, but the only real evidence of rivets in the grips was on a replica, which was made with very poor reference. So far we have, on film, silver/black blurry dots on the grips which could be taken either way. In that R2D2 shot someone blew up a great screencap and you could see an "x" on the closest two grips. I wish I'd saved that image. The only surviving complete graflex in the archives has phillips pan-head screws, which are rusty now. Anyway, the rivets are an open minded alternative, and I enjoy the discussion on the board, but I just want to re-state what evidence we've gathered, as opposed to the fact we have little leading to the idea it could be anything.

    Edit: I DID save the picture. Not sure who did it, but I see at least one phillips socket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESBScrewsproof.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	734441  
  12. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #37

    I agree with you totally. To me it makes since that the original clamp screw was left on. Why replace a perfectly good part that is already thete. As for the grip screws at the top of the t track. To me it just makes since that they are there. On my replica you can't even tell there there. I'm going to post some pics of my clamp screw I just painted black here shortly.
  13. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 8:30 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #38

    Here is my ESB Luke with the original clamp screw painted black. To me it's spot on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170606_182714.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	734484  
  14. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    3,659
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 6, 2017, 9:35 PM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #39

    Dang, that does look spot on. When it came to the real prop, I was always under the impression the screw tarnished. I doubt they'd go get paint and paint that screw for any reason - but the dark spot really brings out the "ESB" feel
  15. mortifactor's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2015
    From
    UK / Japan
    Messages
    402
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 2:17 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #40

    REVANSSkywalker said: View Post
    Here is my ESB Luke with the original clamp screw painted black. To me it's spot on.
    I tried this, but the screw overlaps the silver tape - which it does not in any of the available images.

    IMG_7205 by HRE838, on Flickr

    I don't think my way is likely right, as it is just too hard to tell. But I think it approximates the reference better than the original screw. What do you think?
  16. mortifactor's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2015
    From
    UK / Japan
    Messages
    402
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 2:22 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #41

    thd9791 said: View Post
    I love discussions like this - it's good to also use information that's already been hashed out as a base too.

    That mark may be evidence for a top grip screw, none of our resources has shown those on set yet. In fact, the Vader saber from ESB definitely did not have them, so we have assumed for now they were a post production, or at least post ESB addition.

    I've always seen a dark screw in the clamp too, glad that's being discussed

    The grip history is pretty well known now. We have pictures of the grips with no screws from early filming. Then some with no grips, around the same time. (Norway) and then some from later filming with grip screws. This works out with the story that they fell off from cold, and had to be quickly re-attached. The date of the picture is important here.

    Also call me brash, but the only real evidence of rivets in the grips was on a replica, which was made with very poor reference. So far we have, on film, silver/black blurry dots on the grips which could be taken either way. In that R2D2 shot someone blew up a great screencap and you could see an "x" on the closest two grips. I wish I'd saved that image. The only surviving complete graflex in the archives has phillips pan-head screws, which are rusty now. Anyway, the rivets are an open minded alternative, and I enjoy the discussion on the board, but I just want to re-state what evidence we've gathered, as opposed to the fact we have little leading to the idea it could be anything.

    Edit: I DID save the picture. Not sure who did it, but I see at least one phillips socket
    That pic looks great, is there an uncropped version?
  17. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Messages
    4,123
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 5:24 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #42

    I have always assumed that the "clamp screw" was corrosion lining up with the gap right under that slot. A real vintage clamp I have has quite a lot of dark rust, especially around that spot.

    Anyway, I would try Gun Blue on the screw head before paint.
  18. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,465
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 7:21 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #43

    I am doing a ESB build for my friend right now. My plan is to soda blast the screw. If the screw is brass, then using brass black to turn it black. If it is steel then gun blue


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Messages
    1,843
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 8:57 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #44

    Darth Lars said: View Post
    I have always assumed that the "clamp screw" was corrosion lining up with the gap right under that slot. A real vintage clamp I have has quite a lot of dark rust, especially around that spot.

    Anyway, I would try Gun Blue on the screw head before paint.

    ding ding ding... winner winner chicken dinner. ^_^ This is what I believe I see in my reference pics. there's no screw, but the corrosion from the same spot as the screw... probably FROM the screw at some point.

    As for the T track top screws... I don't think the Bespin shots have it at all. In fact the only way it MIGHT be on screen is in Dagobah... MAYBE. The reference I can find sucks.
  20. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 9:16 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #45

    halliwax said: View Post
    I am doing a ESB build for my friend right now. My plan is to soda blast the screw. If the screw is brass, then using brass black to turn it black. If it is steel then gun blue


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is plated brass my friend.
  21. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    6,465
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 9:20 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #46

    REVANSSkywalker said: View Post
    It is plated brass my friend.
    I don't know if the replica he supplied me will be that...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  22. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 9:39 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #47

    If its a romans it should be. Take it out and scratch the square nut should be brass.

    - - - Updated - - -

    That screw and nut is unique to the graflex. I cannot find a suitable replacement anywhere. I wonder if Roy at wannawanga.com could make some?
  23. matty matt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2014
    Messages
    1,136
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 9:44 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #48

    I'm still not convinced there's a screw in the clamp. I'm inclined to think it's a spot of corrosion like Scott said.
  24. Member Since
    May 2017
    Messages
    56
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 10:01 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #49

    I can see where that could be corrosion but it's in the exact same place and shape of the original clamp screw would be. Also my graflex top section is really loose in the clamp with out the screw. Maybe that's why they kept it.
  25. Lichtbringer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    2,761
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 7, 2017, 10:36 AM - Re: A theory on the ESB hero graflex pics intensive #50

    If the clamp is adjusted correctly, no screw is needed.

Similar Threads

  1. Graflex Inc. or Folmer Graflex for Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber?
    kingpiranha, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Oct 1, 2016, 12:16 AM
  2. Replies: 54
    Last Post: Apr 14, 2016, 9:06 PM
  3. DV ESB Hero nice new pics (old news?)
    Banquo Fett, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 11, 2015, 4:25 PM
  4. ESB Vader Glove theory
    runnriottt, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: Oct 28, 2009, 3:28 AM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: Jul 26, 2008, 11:20 PM