Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  May 25, 2017, 10:04 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #26

YEAH WELL MAYBE YOURE TOO TIGHT **shakes fist**

I really want to know what Bies used for t-track
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  May 25, 2017, 10:05 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #27

thd9791 said: View Post
    definitely different but probably from the same conversion, I'd agree. The one at EMP and the PIH also, coincidentally, have a lever that isnt down. Sometimes this can mean the clamp is too tight.
    i always have a hard time tightening the lever to hold a clamp card in it.. i get too afraid of snapping it. when finally done i just dab a micro dab of e6000 in the track of the clamp (1 little dot) on one side and then clamp the card in.

levers scare me

- - - Updated - - -

SethS said: View Post

PM in bound
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    4 Weeks Ago  May 25, 2017, 10:12 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #28

seth can you clear out ur pm's for me
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  May 25, 2017, 11:13 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #29

Oh i guess
    4 Weeks Ago  May 27, 2017, 11:00 AM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #30

PM artoo77, that's Don Bies.
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 12:22 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #31

So I recently joined a Facebook group for people who collect screen used props. They've been posting links to this thing and most people just assume it's legit. And these are people in the hobby. A signed COA is all some people need to be convinced. Unbelievable.
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 2:05 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #32

The Gizmodo network​ is pushing this thing too and of course people are taking it at face value. There's a few people there calling it out and trying to educate folks, but it's all buried at the bottom where nobody is paying any attention.

It's so stupid. This is the umpteenth time the ONE REAL LIGHTSABER HONEST used for filming has gone up for auction. Fans have the memories of goldfish.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 2:31 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #33

Shouldn't this be illegal? Then again if your foolish enough to spend that much money with out any research, shame on you I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Member Since
    May 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 3:08 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #34

And it doesn't have the correct screws in the bottom plus the screws at the top of the grips
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 3:36 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #35

A fool & his money are soon parted
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84099df31be4ff46fd2b1977dead4743.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	735328
    I want to make these vending machines
    From
    UK / Japan
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #36

Isn't there a trading standards thing it can be reported to? I'm not in the US so no idea.

It's a serious amount of money and it will probably keep going up in value due to a fake provenance.

If it isn't stopped, who knows? In 50 years this could be sat in a museum as the "genuine artefact".
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 11:10 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #37

mortifactor said: View Post
    Isn't there a trading standards thing it can be reported to? I'm not in the US so no idea.

It's a serious amount of money and it will probably keep going up in value due to a fake provenance.

If it isn't stopped, who knows? In 50 years this could be sat in a museum as the "genuine artefact".
    i have no doubt this will eventually happen, even faster then 50 years from now. i can't knock Gary too hard, i mean maybe it is all true that it is a left over flash from a box of parts. (though i seriously and honestly doubt it...) but with it changing multiple hands/auction sites. its like the game of telephone in kindergarten. the first child said it was green, and by the time it gets to the last kid the colors changed...

just like these auctions posing this as a "real left over lightsaber.."

id love to know the source of the grips though..... probably fabricated from scratch

- - - Updated - - -

if i could get the source of the grips, i'd do a fake kurtz tribute saber... and thats for real lol
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 11, 2017, 3:36 AM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #38

matty matt said: View Post
    So I recently joined a Facebook group for people who collect screen used props. They've been posting links to this thing and most people just assume it's legit. And these are people in the hobby. A signed COA is all some people need to be convinced. Unbelievable.
    Unlike most of the members here, many of the collectors of screen used props are not truly that dedicated in finding the small details that can prove a prop is real/screen used or not. I would trust the experts here more than COAs
  14. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 11, 2017, 12:23 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #39

jkno said: View Post
    Unlike most of the members here, many of the collectors of screen used props are not truly that dedicated in finding the small details that can prove a prop is real/screen used or not. I would trust the experts here more than COAs
    SOOOO True... they take word of mouth stories as gospel, and letters, not considering photographic and physical evidence. More like "he said this, so it must be true". When we have on record people involved in certain films contradicting themselves and the facts that you can see plain as day numerous times.
  15. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 11, 2017, 2:07 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #40

tubachris85x said: View Post
    Yea these are the same pieces. No way you can precisely match these details as close as these two appear.

Attachment 731283
    I agree, these are too similar to be different
    top left to right - 1.......2 Red scratch marks on the T track
    2.......large scratch mark on the clip holder
    3.......elongated scratch mark to the right hand side of the clip holder
    4.......inside the right hand elongated scratch mark another little mark

Name:	IMG_0563.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	906.6 KB 
ID:	735583
    Now look at the same markings on the other ( so called different saber )

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	735584
    Check out the mark on the bunny ears

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	796.4 KB 
ID:	735587
    Now a close up on the other saber

Name:	IMG_0570.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	735588
    Now look at the switch
    4 marks on the switch to the top right
    1 mark to the lower part of the switch with a lighter mark in the middle of it
    check the mark on the tube lower down than the switch

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	735590
    Now check the other marks on the other saber

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	672.7 KB 
ID:	735591
    Now check the marks on the tube near the end

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	966.1 KB 
ID:	735592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	735593
    I'm sorry but there to to many similarities to say the are different just 6 years apart and different pictures but to me the same
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 1:16 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #41

Wow, I had no idea people who collect real props hate our hobby. Did you guys know this? This is coming from that Facebook group I joined, which I'm about to unjoin. It's pretty ridiculous actually.
  17. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 1:40 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #42

Wow, I had no idea people who collect real props hate our hobby. Did you guys know this? This is coming from that Facebook group I joined, which I'm about to unjoin. It's pretty ridiculous actually.
    I didn't know! Because they find us know-it-all? Which FB group do you mean?
    From
    Los Angeles
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:02 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #43

How dare we know enough not to be ripped off.
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:06 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #44

roygilsing said: View Post
    I didn't know! Because they find us know-it-all? Which FB group do you mean?
    No, they equate replicas with fakes. Not everyone feels that way, but the general consensus is very anti-replica. I just wasn't aware that this was even a thing.

This is the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/movieprops/
    From
    Colorado Spgs, Colorado
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:21 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #45

I'm pretty sure I'm also a member of that FB group. I find that opinion is pretty common across the board. I am a member on forums dedicated to collecting vintage Star Wars figures as well as WWII memorabilia and disgust and loathing for replicas is pretty typical in both locations. The main objection, which I can sympathize with, is that reproductions are becoming so good that it damages the historical (and let's be honest the monetary value) of authentic pieces. I agree with this to an extent because the situation makes it easier for people to get ripped off and we want to limit that as much as possible. There is also of course an elitist attitude that goes hand in hand with it that I find distasteful.

Heck, when it comes down to it, there are elitist attitudes on this forum (of which I am undoubtedly guilty), using authentic vintage parts vs replica parts, how accurate is your replica i.e. rivet counting, screen accurate vs prop accurate, things like that.
    Last edited by dcarty; 2 Weeks Ago at 2:36 PM.
  21. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:40 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #46

dcarty said: View Post
    Heck, when it comes down to it, there are elitist attitudes on this forum (of which I am undoubtedly guilty), using authentic vintage parts vs replica parts, how accurate is your replica i.e. rivet counting, screen accurate vs prop accurate, things like that.
    SCREWS dagnabbit!!! Oh wait... maybe rivets?
    From
    Colorado Spgs, Colorado
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:43 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #47

Edraven99 said: View Post
    SCREWS dagnabbit!!! Oh wait... maybe rivets?
    ROTFLOL
  23. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 2:57 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #48

There is a difference between replicas meant to be a reasonably priced product people can buy and replicas meant to fool people into thinking it is a real authentic/rare item.

Some people only want original paintings. Others are fine with prints. There is nothing wrong with either. However there is something wrong with a forgery being passed off as the original.

I don't know enough about the claims of this lightsaber to have a feeling either way.

With props it isn't unusual to have several of the same prop made, so claiming one to be the exact one from a particular scene can be difficult unless there is something unique about one of the props that is noticable. Even then it's possible several were used in a sequence on film.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  24. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 3:11 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #49

Different strokes for different folks.
    Live and let live, etc.
    In the end it's apples and oranges...

Forgeries have been around a long time and should be prosecuted case by case to protect those willing to pay a premium for the real deal. I respect and appreciate that hobby.

However,
    If replicas are worthy of disgust and loathing then perhaps the haters should recalibrate their sights on the biggest replicators of all, the companies offering officially licensed replicas- Disney, MR and Anovos come to mind.

This hobby is about the enjoyment of building these treasures, not bilking anybody out of their money.
    From
    Turkey
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 4:36 PM - Re: Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction #50

dcarty said: View Post
    I am a member on forums dedicated to collecting vintage Star Wars figures as well as WWII memorabilia and disgust and loathing for replicas is pretty typical in both locations. The main objection, which I can sympathize with, is that reproductions are becoming so good that it damages the historical (and let's be honest the monetary value) of authentic pieces. I agree with this to an extent because the situation makes it easier for people to get ripped off and we want to limit that as much as possible.
    I can understand the concern with figures or WWII memorabilia as it's easier to make replicas and pass off a replica as an original. There is a relatively greater availability of figures and memorabilia, and replicas may not necessarily have to be take account of as many subtle details like wear and tear that a screen used prop may have in order to get away with fraud.

However in the case of props, I'd argue that it's a somewhat unnecessary concern considering the extremely limited availability of screen used props, which makes it far easier to keep track of the originals and spot a fake if all the minute scratches and history don't match up. There may only be a small handful available of a particular prop (like a stormtrooper helmet) or maybe even just one (like the ANH Vader helmet), which makes it easy to document and keep track of them so it'd be extremely difficult for someone to pass off a replica as an original.

I think the hatred of prop replicas might be coming more from elitism than concern of fraud. When there is only one particular version of a screen used prop in existence, the only option for everyone else is a replica.