Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

The movie started to lose credibility early on; for example, when a whole bunch of key personnel went to explore an unknown planet, then on top of that silliness they went without a protection suit and helmet. That was really DUMB and STUPID. What an insult to the scientific and space exploration community and to any reasonably sensible and intelligent person who watched the movie. Allowing the actors to do such silly nonsense such as that just so the movie producers satisfy their narrative is really obvious and cringe worthy.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

OK, what's the big deal? they don't have helmets on? this is the future/alternate universe where humans have got space travel sorted, they have humanoid androids, med pods and painkiller injectiony things Shaw uses that let a woman who's just had a Caesarean run around, so there have obviously been advances in space travel and medicine.

Therefore, what is the risk? alien virus? who's to say that they haven't all had their space shots and are resistant to all foreign bacteria? it's not really much of a stretch at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Additional flippant point

Aliens RUINED Alien!!!!!!!!11!!!

It was better when there was a mystery about where the eggs came from. why did thwey have to show a queen laying the eggs, it took the mysetery out of where eggs came from1!!

Alien3 RUINED Aliens!"!!!!

it was better when we didnt know where the queen came from, why did they have to show a queen facehuger?! "11£!£

I'm getting more and more convinced that the underlying theme for the Aliens movies is this...

Humans have not perfected long term space hibernation and the crews who wake from hibernation are affected by some sort of disorder which causes them to make incredibly stupid decisions. Perhaps its something like the bends for deep sea divers.

I'm just sayin... :)

I'm getting more and more convinced that the underlying theme for the Aliens movies is this...

Humans have not perfected long term space hibernation and the crews who wake from hibernation are affected by some sort of disorder which causes them to make incredibly stupid decisions. Perhaps its something like the bends for deep sea divers.

I'm just sayin... :)

Exactly, imagine spending 7 years asleep in a tube, then cooped up on a space ship. then people have a go at you because you want to take your helmet off and get some fresh air.

ALL of them after Alien ruined Alien :D

Aliens RUINED Alien!!!!!!!!11!!!

It was better when there was a mystery about where the eggs came from. why did thwey have to show a queen laying the eggs, it took the mysetery out of where eggs came from1!!

Alien3 RUINED Aliens!"!!!!

it was better when we didnt know where the queen came from, why did they have to show a queen facehuger?! "11£!£

no tension at all for the final xenomorph scenes, which is weird.

That was because that scene was set in broad daylight and in a vast open area. A major part of any scary and tense xenomorph action involves tight, claustrophobic spaces and the DARK. A xenomorph outside your windscreen in daylight isn't scary.

By the way, did David play the theme from Prometheus on his flute?? Was that supposed to be a meta/breaking the fourth wall moment??

OK, what's the big deal? they don't have helmets on? this is the future/alternate universe where humans have got space travel sorted, they have humanoid androids, med pods and painkiller injectiony things Shaw uses that let a woman who's just had a Caesarean run around, so there have obviously been advances in space travel and medicine.

Therefore, what is the risk? alien virus? who's to say that they haven't all had their space shots and are resistant to all foreign bacteria? it's not really much of a stretch at all.

In the novel they do check out the atmosphere/environment and determine it is safe before sending people out, hence no environment suits. The novel is based on the script, so perhaps that was shot did not make the cut because Ridley assumed the audience was smart enough to know they would have addressed this, so no screen time needs to be wasted on it.

I assumed they already did this, so that was not an issue with me, but as I was watching the film I thought it odd that they did not send Walter out alone to investigate the environment first hand, be sure there were no predatory species that could be dangerous, take samples, et cetera - before anyone else left the ship.

There were a few buggy things like that, as there have been with all of the Alien movies, but overall I still really liked this one.

Last edited:
Just saw the film. It was okay. Not at great as Alien, Aliens and Prometheus, but certainly not as horrible as AvP: Requiem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I pointed out a while back, the leaving of the ship without EVA suits is no more ridiculous than in countless other movies and shows where the exact same thing happens. No-one bitches about that, because in those shows alien pathogens aren't part of the plot

Yeah playing the Prometheus theme was mental, has David seen prometheus?

That was because that scene was set in broad daylight and in a vast open area. A major part of any scary and tense xenomorph action involves tight, claustrophobic spaces and the DARK. A xenomorph outside your windscreen in daylight isn't scary.

By the way, did David play the theme from Prometheus on his flute?? Was that supposed to be a meta/breaking the fourth wall moment??

- - - Updated - - -

One can only assume that to Weyland a replicant costs a lot more than humans. crew expendable.

In the novel they do check out the atmosphere/environment and determine it is safe before sending people out, hence no environment suits. The novel is based on the script, so perhaps that was shot did not make the cut because Ridley assumed the audience was smart enough to know they would have addressed this, so no screen time needs to be wasted on it.

I assumed they already did this, so that was not an issue with me, but as I was watching the film I thought it odd that they did not send Walter out alone to investigate the environment first hand, be sure there were no predatory species that could be dangerous, take samples, et cetera - before anyone else left the ship.

There were a few buggy things like that, as there have been with all of the Alien movies, but overall I still really liked this one.

Y

One can only assume that to Weyland a replicant costs a lot more than humans. crew expendable.

Weyland had been missing 10 years and was not really running the company he founded at the time he left on the secret Prometheus expedition anyway, so I doubt there were any nefarious directives regarding sythetics in place from him. The novel states Walter was "the most expendable member of the team" and that synthetics were a standard crew compliment aboard ships at this time.

In the novel, Walter was sent out first to sample the atmosphere when the ship landed. He can analyze the atmosphere internally simply by inhaling it. The book states he found no evidence of pathogens, even down to the molecular level. The crew cheered when he told them there was no need to wear full EVAC suits.

This wasn't shown so completely in the film, but they *did* mention having scanned the planet and found it safe.

I think those who make this objection either are looking for something to gripe about or just plain didn't listen to the dialogue.

It still makes zero sense. We live in a world where I see people walking the streets every day with surgical masks on for fear of God knows what, and people who lapse into fits of rage and want to jump into a positive pressure suit if they're exposed to second hand smoke. But, a group of supposedly smart interstellar explorers will set foot on a new world sans minimum protection. Nope. Virtually every review has been pissed by the stupidity of that, particularly because it was a sore point in Prometheus. Scanning the surface is great. Good. No overt threats. You would STILL wear a protective suit for the same reason they have weapons...just in case.

I think those who make this objection either are looking for something to gripe about or just plain didn't listen to the dialogue.
Unfortunately, that's never going to change.

Even if they left the full line in the movie about sampling for pathogens/allergens down to the molecular level, someone would miss it and complain anyway. There were countless examples of this when Prometheus came out.

Last edited:
This wasn't shown so completely in the film, but they *did* mention having scanned the planet and found it safe.

I just see it as hack writing. There are places on Earth, like other people mentioned, that are safe/habitable but you would still wear some sort of protection. Its in the same vein as the stupid crap that happened in Prometheus. There is suspension of disbelief, but then there is also blind stupidity. Ill give the guy that stepped on the plants a pass, the one that smoked a cigarette. Fine. But the guy that was all up in the damn things face when it sprayed the spores? Cmon. Thats asinine. I would like to think that people in the future had some semblance of common sense. It would have been great if there was at least one crew member that was like "screw you guys Im putting a helmet on anyway".

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly another thing that seems to never change is bad writing
My man. :cool

"Bad Writing"

"Hack Writing"

Ok you scripting geniuses... maybe you can tell me how--if we do it your way and have the crew do the uber smart thing and protect themselves with enviro suits--we can then still have them become infected with the spores which ultimately lead to the creatures that we get to see ripping everyone apart?

Put another way, if we do it your "non-hack" "non-bad" writing way, we have no story.

Despite the fact this has been pointed out again and again, I guess it's more fashionable to just call something "bad writing", or call someone who does something that you don't do for a living a "hack" and ignore the fact that it's a plot device designed to facilitate the story we're telling.

"Bad Writing"

"Hack Writing"

Ok you scripting geniuses... maybe you can tell me how--if we do it your way and have the crew do the uber smart thing and protect themselves with enviro suits--we can then still have them become infected with the spores which ultimately lead to the creatures that we get to see ripping everyone apart?

Put another way, if we do it your "non-hack" "non-bad" writing way, we have no story.

Despite the fact this has been pointed out again and again, I guess it's more fashionable to just call something "bad writing", or call someone who does something that you don't do for a living a "hack" and ignore the fact that it's a plot device designed to facilitate the story we're telling.
If you go to a restaurant and you get a steak and you order it medium rare, and they give it to you well done, what would you do? You would send it back, or eat it and not be happy. Except in this we dont have a choice but to eat what we dont want. And yes, youre right, Im not a screenwriter, but I think they could come up with some other way to circumvent the suits in a way that isnt dumb. The aliens have acid blood for gods sakes, why couldnt the spores burn through his shoe/suit when he stepped on it? Something. Anything was better than the guy shoving his face into a spore on an uncharted planet. Would you go grab some poison ivy and rub it all over yourself? Of course you wouldnt. Im not saying to not have things happen to the crew members, but dont make it so its ridiculously improbable. Why is that so hard to understand?

If its not bad writing, whats the damn explanation? Lazy writing? Youre splitting hairs here. Being ridiculously stupid shouldnt be a plot device.

"Bad Writing"

"Hack Writing"

Would it really take a writing genius to come up with them wearing their protective suits, and having one malfunction? How easy would it have been to have random crewman number one's oxygen level go down from being hit by a falling branch walking through the forrest, or falling down a hill and damaging his suit allowing a point of entry for the virus? The script writing on this film was downright insulting. I get the suspension of disbelief and turn off your brain jive that everyone always argues on these so called works of art/ great films (lol)....but come on! Maybe, just maybe we all expected just a little bit better from Ridley?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back