Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 26, 2017, 7:14 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #176

Bengrim09 said: View Post
    ... you must have enough spares to make at least 4 or 5 sabres maybe not all vintage !!! but sabers
    4 and indeed not all vintage parts ... yet all part of my pension plan

Cha´m
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 28, 2017, 6:25 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #177

Next up is my ANM2 Booster . . . already received a long time ago . . . thanks again to rpf member Tim Jester a.k.a. Franz Bolo :

. . . mine came with a booster bearing, which as some of us think could also have been
    used for the cone attached in the emitter :

Here's how it is attached inside a ANM2 Booster . . . with some cotter pins which may
    have been used to attach the booster to the G R A F L E X clamp lateron :

For that reason I managed to grab a box full of vintage cotter pins made in the UK, which I had to bend and reshape as seen above, though I'm not quite certain how to properly attach them inside the G R A F L E X clamp . . . so I haven't . . . yet :

It's quite possible the propmakers had access to many ANM2 machine guns thus plenty of booster
    bearings to use one inside the emitter, that said if the ANM2 Boosters were rented than they would
    have to be returned to Bapty's and put back on the real guns ... so they could not be altered for use
    inside the emitter

Here I attached the booster to a vintage G R A F L E X clamp from one of my Luke ANH sabers ... and with the
    booster bearing inside holding it's own behind the inside tabs :

Next up the Exactra 20* as seen on the left, which I'll probably use for my all vintage parts OB1 with the all round bubblestrip ... here are some pictures :

To be continued . . . any comments or replies very much appreciated ... also still waiting for some known members to show up with their OB1 ANH All Vintage Parts lightsabers ... please?

Cha´m
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM.
  3. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    Apr 28, 2017, 7:56 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #178

Your a monster Chaim but in a good way
  4. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 28, 2017, 1:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #179

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    @userd1402 ... you're very welcome to join us ... who knows you might even get the vintage parts you seek sooner by posting your pictures here because you'll be on our radar
    Cha´m
    OK then. Here are my real parts so far; Hales grenade, Graflex clamp, Exactra bubbles, transistors, AS handwheel.
    I have Roman's replica booster and emitter standing in until the real-deal turns up and the excellent booster-bearing replica by teecrooz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-28 18.18.50.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	725014
    Last edited by userd1402; May 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 28, 2017, 3:06 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #180

Thanks userd1402 ... welcome and you're of to a great start ... there's hardly a slope in the first ring on your grenade ... it's quite unique ... lovely natural weathering on the pommel cubes also

Cha´m
    From
    Florida
    Apr 28, 2017, 3:45 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #181

userd1402 said: View Post
    OK then. Here are my real parts so far; Hales grenade, Graflex clamp, Exactra bubbles, transistors, AS handwheel.
    I have Roman's replica booster and emitter standing in until the real-deal turns up and the excellent booster-bearing replica by teecrooz.

Name:	2017-04-28 18.18.50.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	725014
    Nice! Is that handwheel metal or chromed plastic? Love the weathering on it. Looking for a beat up one now...
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 28, 2017, 7:44 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #182

ataru72ita said: View Post
    Subscribed, I'll post some images of my real parts, but still need a real booster!
    Regards,
    Alberto
    @ataru72ita ... hi Alberto ... sorry mate I totally overlooked your post ... please do post some pictures of your OB1 saber, please

Cha´m
    From
    Washington DC
    Apr 29, 2017, 1:04 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #183

Cha´m has convinced me to come out of the closet, as it were. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is rather terrible pair of pictures showing what I have embezzled the kids college fund on thus far. All vintage.

Name:	IMG_2672.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	725142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2673.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	725143

As you can see, there is a part missing. And I'm not talking about a transistor, either.

I imagine that the clear bubble strip would probably be better saved for the Vader I will never build. That is one reason it is still in the calculator that someone who shall not be named confiscated the scews from before I got it. But, that is mere trifle. :-)
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 29, 2017, 6:50 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #184

That looks absolutely fabulous Fusion, welcome aboard and thanks
    for posting here ... so let's get him some transistors guys ... anyone
    have a close enough pair in a spare parts box?
    So it seems like the ANM2 booster is the hardest part to track down
    lately . . . anyhow now that it has been well established that anyone
    working or collecting vintage parts for an OB1 ANH always can and
    may join here ... I'm going to up the ante ... just a little to encourage
    even more OB1 ANH vintage parts lightsabers to be posted, coming
    out of the woodworks, here's a small hint to what I'd like you to do :

'Oh, Cha´m, do tell us ... what might that be?' Take a good guess guys

To be continued . . .

Cha´m
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM.
  10. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Apr 29, 2017, 11:38 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #185

I might have an extra pair of MA205s left... I'll check and see...
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 29, 2017, 8:55 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #186

OB1 : - You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. -

Cha´m
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM.
  12. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Apr 29, 2017, 9:33 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #187

Fusion said: View Post
    Cha´m has convinced me to come out of the closet, as it were. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is rather terrible pair of pictures showing what I have embezzled the kids college fund on thus far. All vintage.

Name:	IMG_2672.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	725142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2673.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	725143

As you can see, there is a part missing. And I'm not talking about a transistor, either.

I imagine that the clear bubble strip would probably be better saved for the Vader I will never build. That is one reason it is still in the calculator that someone who shall not be named confiscated the scews from before I got it. But, that is mere trifle. :-)
    In case you didn't know, your grenade and balance pipe were both in my collection and marvs at some point. Grenade went from me to marv to mugatu to you. Balance pipe went from marv, to me, to Roman for conversion, to neorutty to veektor to you! Your saber parts are well traveled and well placed finally in your hands,
    From
    Washington DC
    Apr 29, 2017, 11:25 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #188

Last edited by Fusion; Apr 29, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
  14. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Apr 30, 2017, 12:00 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #189

teecrooz said: View Post
    In case you didn't know, your grenade and balance pipe were both in my collection and marvs at some point. Grenade went from me to marv to mugatu to you. Balance pipe went from marv, to me, to Roman for conversion, to neorutty to veektor to you! Your saber parts are well traveled and well placed finally in your hands,
    Slightly wrong Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @veektohr, to now who knows
    Last edited by Edraven99; Apr 30, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
  15. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Apr 30, 2017, 12:31 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #190

Edraven99 said: View Post
    Slightly wrong Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @veektohr, to now who knows
    I still need to do a family tree of my parts before I forget where they came from. I have pics of every version/trade, but don't wanna forget lineage.
    From
    Washington DC
    Apr 30, 2017, 1:11 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #191

Slightly wrong Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @Veektor, to now who knows
    Okay, slowly figuring out how to work these forums...

Yes, the BP came to me through edraven. Credit where credit is due for getting me started starting on this crazy quest. Thought I had lucked out with my first and only real junkyard score. I had to go for it now! That part from a properly moded surplus warbird jet engine HAD to be the long pole in the tent, right? How hard could it be at this point? LoL! :-)

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give it up for the world.

And I would still love to trace the deep history of these parts. What were they doing all those years between manufacture and finding their way to us. On what aircraft, in what unit stores, on what battlefields (or training grounds) did they serve. When were they surplused? And from whence were they rediscovered by the prop making community? Because that is part of the magic, I think. These vintage saber reconstructions each have unique, rich, and complex histories based on the REAL parts from which they are built.

Anyway, I'm doing my small part by having the tan/yellow paint on the frag body of this one analyzed to see just what that stuff is. I'm actually hoping it's from sometime well after 1916 or so. Because it will be easier if I convince myself I'm not messing with an original period finish. Lest, I'm forced to construct some justification for the existence of a tan version of the ObiWan saber. :-)
  17. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Apr 30, 2017, 7:34 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #192

That's right! I had forgotten about the swap.
    Last edited by teecrooz; Apr 30, 2017 at 7:43 AM.
  18. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Apr 30, 2017, 10:54 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #193

NeoRutty said: View Post
    I still need to do a family tree of my parts before I forget where they came from. I have pics of every version/trade, but don't wanna forget lineage.
    Mine is fairly straightforward:

Balance Pipe - RPF engine #2 (direct from dealer)
    Grenade - direct from dealer
    Clamp - @iicarrus (JY) from complete Graflex 3-cell flashgun
    Bubbles - @SaberFreak (JY)
    Transistors - direct from dealer
    Booster - @KhalDrogo (JY)
    Booster Bearing - @teecrooz
    Hand Wheel - @kurtyboy (JY)

Display Pieces:

Balance Pipe - trade with @mugatu via @Marv
    Grenade - @teecrooz
    Graflex 2-cell - eBay
    Exactra - eBay
    Transistors - direct from dealer
    Booster with Flash Hider - direct from dealer
    Hand Wheel 1 - JY
    Hand Wheel 2 - trade with @teecrooz

So for all you guys thinking about finishing or starting your real parts Obi journey, as you can see it really is a matter of luck and a lot of collaboration with the fine folks on this forum.
    Last edited by Edraven99; May 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Remembered where the clamp came from!
  19. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 30, 2017, 12:01 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #194

@Edraven99 that corrected pipe is now with an old friend of mine (who I believe lurks here).

I love this family-tree stuff! My breakdown is:

1st grenade (now display), the one that got this whole thing started - @parfaitelumiere
    2nd grenade (on saber) - direct from dealer
    Clamp - direct from dealer (my friend - who now owns the corrected BP - found a guy who'd bought a bunch of stock when Graflex closed in Rochester)
    Bubbles - eBay (from one of the many calcs I've bought over the years)
    Transistors - eBays
    Washers & BP adapter - @Romans Empire
    Hand Wheel (on saber) - @_Lee_ in the JY
    Hand Wheel 2 (on display) - @kurtyboy in the JY
    Booster - @mugatu
    Booster Bearing (screwed into my Roman's Booster, for display) - direct from dealer
    Balance Pipe - Engine #4, direct from dealer
    Last edited by veektohr; Apr 30, 2017 at 12:07 PM.
    From
    Brussels
    Apr 30, 2017, 1:20 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #195

Hey, your little family tree thing is nice guys, it's actually quite nice for someone willing to start the quest in fact.
    I finally started myself last week, it didn't take long since my first post to inquire about the parts in this thread on April the 16th. So, I started by ordering the weathered replica kit from Romans and actually also bought an original handwheel from him too at the same time. I'm looking forward to receive that as it should arrive in the next few days.
    I then grabed a nicelly naturaly weathered vintage graflex clamp on ebay and will buy the transistors soon too.
    This is just a small start as those are all the easy parts and I don't even know if I'll go further than that but I'll already try to do a really nice looking replica with all that.
    thanks guys (I guess) for motivating me on that path!
    cheers
  21. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Apr 30, 2017, 3:03 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #196

Family Tree:

BP- Teecrooz- 3rd engine find.
    Grenade- Mugatu
    Clamp-3cell
    Exactra harvested Bubble Strip- EBay
    Transistors- Peace frog
    Booster-Teecrooz
    AS Handwheel- Mugatu

Quite the village of friends to make my grail a reality and a big thanks to you guys and more who provided help and info along the way.

One of my favorites for part history would be the grenade.
    Mugatu told me that it was dug up from the French soil not long ago, so it sat and aged for 100 years before I got ahold of it.
    Last edited by Panaflex; Apr 30, 2017 at 8:31 PM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 30, 2017, 4:51 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #197

All Vintage Parts OB1 collected over 35 years by Sym-Cha :

Converted Male BP + AS Handwheel : Zombie Killer ... with thanks to morgan63
    No.3MkI Grenade : teecrooz
    ANM2 Booster + Bearing : Franz Bolo
    Exactra 20* : ebay
    Transistors NEC : Renze Dijkema @ fotoacademie
    G R A F L E X Clamp : 3cell or ebay (?)
    Magnetic 'Cone greeblie' : Dad's toolbox (soon to be revealed)
    Brass screws : Dad's old stock found in the shed (plenty left-over)
    UK Cotter Pins : ebay (plenty left-over)
    G R A F L E X Case D-ring : ebay

Cha´m
  23. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    May 1, 2017, 5:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #198

my next obi will be a half-half, half genuine vintage stuff and half self made stuff.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 1, 2017, 6:26 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #199

@parfaitelumiere ... well I know you did have an all real parts OB1 lightsaber long before me ... so welcome to post old pictures of it, as well as your current progress

Cha´m
    May 1, 2017, 8:02 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #200

I have a real G R A F L E X clamp and vintage transistors. Can I be in the club too? Lol.