Page 1 of 83 1234561151 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 24, 2017, 5:37 AM - Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread #1

This thread is for the sole purpose of discussing, posting photos and videos of the replica NIKE MAG V3. Please DO NOT post about other versions of this shoe – V3 ONLY!

The NIKE MAG is a futuristic shoe designed by NIKE designer Tinker Hatfield for the 1989 movie BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II.

In the film, the shoes have both illumination and “power laces” but also a sleek design that has minimal, visible seams and stitching. Like many, I’ve always wanted a pair MAGs since seeing them on screen.

Replica MAG History

1. Mark Poons MAG 2008. [TOP LEFT]

In 2008, RPF Member Mark Poon (@markpoon) teamed up with a professional shoe maker to create the first replica of the NIKE MAG shoe. These shoes came out in one size that was said to be US9. The pet name for these shoes is the MP MAG.

2. Official Nike MAG replicas 2011 [Not Shown]

Only 1500 pairs of these shoes were made. They were sold at an auction via eBay in September of 2011. The auction ran for 10 days and each pair of shoes were listed at just 99 cents. The average price paid for these limited shoes was 4 figures. The money raised from the sale of these shoes was donated to the Michael J Fox Foundation for finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease.

3. Chinese made replica MAG Version 1, 2011. [TOP RIGHT]

In late 2011, the Chinese ripped off the MP MAG and gave us a cheap (but very comfortable) PVC version of the MAG that we dubbed the K (knock off) MAG and later, the V1 MAG. It was wrong in so many ways, but it was all we had available at the time. It was the first time this shoe was available in varying sizes as many of us could not wear the MP MAG’s "one size fits most".

4. Chinese Replicas Version 2, 2012. [BOTTOM LEFT]

The following year, the Chinese released version 2 of the replica MAG. These were much closer to the shoe we all had wanted for so many years.

Once modified, the V2 does look pretty close and for many of us, would be as close to the real shoe as many of us would get. You can find many YouTube videos with a simple search.

5. Halloween Costume (HC) and SPORTS versions [Not Shown]
    These get a mention here but are not considered part of the MAG legacy because they came out unbranded. The HCs could be upgraded by a decal kit made my Mark Poon.

6. Official “power laced” NIKE MAG, 2015 [Not Shown]
    In the film BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II we were given the date October 21, 2015 that these power laced shoes would be available. As that future date became closer to the present date, we all watched in anticipation to see if Power Laces would actually happen. NIKE kept their promise and unveiled the first pair of power laced MAGs. The first pair was given to Michael J Fox.
    89 pairs were made available via a lottery where each ticket was just $10USD. The lottery was held in mid 2016.

7. Chinese Replica Version 3, 2016 [BOTTOM RIGHT]
    The V3 is the shoe many of us thought would never happen. This replica is so close, many people can not tell the difference between them and the official 2011 NIKE MAG they are copies of. The list price is $499USD / pair. The forum thanks @davidjones888 and his company sneakerahead for giving us all the opportunity to own our very own replica of the NIKE MAG.

To order your own pair of the V3 MAGs, go to

www.sneakerahead.ru

and use the discount code

sneakerahead-dis.

These shoes do not require any modifying. The only mods that can make an improvement are tinting the soles and applying a clear coat on the bubble. See my video in Post #2.

WARNINGS:

1. These shoes are extremely well made, however the electronics are fragile and care must be taken or the system will fail.
    Charging these shoes is via the 0.7mm plug on the back of the shoe. You can charge both shoes at the same time. The batteries do have an overload protection circuit on them, so you must make sure that you never overdraw them or you MAY NOT be able to charge them again. You should be OK charging for up to 6 hours. The centre pin is just 0.7mm, so very fragile. Bend the uppers when inserting the plug and DO NOT ever force the plug in.
    There have been several videos made on repairing these shoes. Search YouTube for videos by @Jedifyfe on repairs. These videos are also in Post #2.

2. When ordering your shoes, there is a delay of at least 3 (working) days from the time you pay to the time you get QC photos. Please be mindful that they may not actually have your shoes in stock, and that they must travel to the factories to buy your shoes with the money you have sent.

3. Once you have QC photos, you have the choice to accept of reject. If you choose to reject these shoes, know that they will be offered to the next buyer and that you will experience further delay to your order. If you are more than 90% happy with the shoes, perhaps negotiate a lower price and arrange a refund on the balance. Remember, these shoes are replicas, so they are NOT perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170322_221555-1.jpg 
Views:	8191 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	716856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170315_211624_281.jpg 
Views:	7902 
Size:	726.6 KB 
ID:	716857  
    Last edited by cavx; Aug 8, 2017 at 4:37 AM.
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 24, 2017, 5:48 AM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #2

If you have Modding or Repair Videos, send me the link and I will embed them into this post. I can embed a maximum of 5 video.

The only mods you might consider if you are new to this is defrosting the bubble on the heel cup and tinting the soles.
    I have used clear nail polish on the bubble and RIT dye on the soles.
    This is how they look under fluorescent lighting.

And when lit up.

If you are keen and know something about electronics, you can add a resisters into the circuit to dim the LEDs. The newer version already has this done.

RPF member @WizardBTTF has created replacement bubbles and clear soles for those that are OK with truly modding these shoes.

For those using Sea Glow to remove yellow from your V3 Soles, please read the following.

From member @Mikey McFly:

Attached are the directions I received with my sea glow from Island Girl Products. I would recommend also combining these methods with others not shown in the instructions.

· Make sure to cover the rest of the shoes to protect them from excess product;
    · Use sparingly, do not overdo it;
    · Once sea glow is applied to the soles wrap the soles in cling wrap to help prevent the product drying out;
    · Try repeated sessions of no more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours each time. Recommended no more than 2 or 3 sessions a day;
    · Wipe excess off straight away with a clean, damp cloth; and
    · If you get any on other parts/materials of the shoe wipe off instantly with a clean, damp cloth. If necessary use a sneaker cleaner such as gel cleaner to remove the product to prevent stains.

It should be noted this method is used to clear up the soles only. If dye is also going to be applied there a slightly different methods to achieve required results using this product.

YouTube is your friend when it comes to seeking out the best methods to use these products.

LINK TO PDF
    Last edited by cavx; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:18 AM.
    Mar 24, 2017, 9:58 AM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #3

Glad to see you made this thread! As in the previous thread I am marking my spot on page 1 for the rest of eternity!
  4. RPF Premium Member MattgomeryBurns's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 24, 2017, 1:02 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #4

Thanks for setting this up @cavx, it was much needed. Now if we can get people to only post here!
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Mar 24, 2017, 2:45 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #5

I guess I should have posted the QC pics I got sent of the lights. This is what I was sent and they are the same shoes I received. I think my phone just had a hard time picking it up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	716534
    From
    London, England, UK
    Mar 24, 2017, 3:15 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #6

Krateness said: View Post
    I guess I should have posted the QC pics I got sent of the lights. This is what I was sent and they are the same shoes I received. I think my phone just had a hard time picking it up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	716534
    Very nice. Looks good.
  7. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 24, 2017, 3:46 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #7

Good work Cavx. The other thread was WAY too convoluted.
    From
    Southeast USA
    Mar 24, 2017, 5:29 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #8

IxMAGICx1 said: View Post
    Glad to see you made this thread! As in the previous thread I am marking my spot on page 1 for the rest of eternity!
    Ahahahaha! Ok, I'm doing the same! We've been talking about these shoes since 2011, and it's been a hell of a ride.
  9. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Mar 24, 2017, 6:32 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #9

IxMAGICx1 said: View Post
    Ditto. Now to add something of substance...I got nothing. Welp, guess that's what gets immortalized for eternity!

-Nick
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 24, 2017, 7:30 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #10

DL4567 said: View Post
    Ahahahaha! Ok, I'm doing the same! We've been talking about these shoes since 2011, and it's been a hell of a ride.
    2008 for some. Me, personally, 2010 was when I got my MP MAGs.
    From
    Aurora, Colorado
    Mar 24, 2017, 7:35 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #11

This new thread was definitely needed Thanks Cavx
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 24, 2017, 7:50 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #12

So lets hope we see QC pics and other good photos of people in their MAGs.
    From
    Hollywood, CA
    Mar 24, 2017, 9:43 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #13

Thanks Cavx I think adding pics of all the versions would be a great idea.
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 24, 2017, 10:13 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #14

jdraimer said: View Post
    I've added pics to the first post.
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mar 25, 2017, 1:55 AM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #15

cavx said: View Post
    So lets hope we see QC pics and other good photos of people in their MAGs.
    I'll put up some when I get my updated version V3's.
    Mar 25, 2017, 6:27 AM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #16

New thread Good to see...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mags.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	716740
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 25, 2017, 8:27 AM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #17

WOW. The pair at the front is real. How many pair of V3s, 3 pair?
    Last edited by cavx; Mar 25, 2017 at 10:17 AM.
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Mar 25, 2017, 1:39 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #18

Are the el panels still weak on these or did David upgrade them at all. Also are they still a hair dinner than the real deal mags
  19. Member Since
    May 2015
    Mar 25, 2017, 3:18 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #19

I just made the jump and bought a pair of v3s! Very excited to have these! Will keep everyone informed and see if I have one of the newer batches with all the improvements! Can't wait to get these guys!
    From
    Southeast USA
    Mar 25, 2017, 5:41 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #20

I've added pics to the first post.
    No pictures show on my screen in the first post.
    Mar 25, 2017, 6:43 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #21

Thanks @cavx all the right information in one place
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mar 25, 2017, 7:21 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #22

Sugar779 said: View Post
    I just made the jump and bought a pair of v3s! Very excited to have these! Will keep everyone informed and see if I have one of the newer batches with all the improvements! Can't wait to get these guys!
    You'll love them. They start off a little stiff in the uppers, particularly in the toe box. But after you've worn them a few times they become more comfortable. I haven't worn my V2's for ages now because the V3's are so good. Both in looks and comfort.
  23. Member Since
    May 2015
    Mar 25, 2017, 7:26 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #23

I actually recently sold my V2's to able to afford the V3's didn't seem any point in having a half modded pair when I'd have the better detailed V3... I will wearing these for my wedding in May! They literally match the suit and nothing could be more perfect for it!

I did have some trouble to start with, while ordering... After a fair few few "transaction failure" messages I received an email saying that order confirmation had been received, but I return to the website to look at "My Account" and it's still showing up as "Failed" but I have had email confirmation and the money has left my account... Anybody shed any light on this? I've left a message but I doubt they'll see it over the weekend, and I'm waiting for somebody to come online on their end so I can open up a live chat...
    Mar 25, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #24

WOW. The pair at the front is real. How many pair of V3s, 3 pair?
    Exactly
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mar 25, 2017, 8:02 PM - Re: Official v3 nike mag replica thread - v3 discussion thread #25

jdraimer said: View Post
    For some reason, the pics were visible in the thread on my PC, but not on my phone. I can see them both now.

DragonGalvy said: View Post
    I'll put up some when I get my updated version V3's.
    Do that

Tsak123 said: View Post
    Are the el panels still weak on these or did David upgrade them at all. Also are they still a hair dinner than the real deal mags
    He did show images of what looked like tape holding the wires to the back. That may help the actual wires breaking off the back (as appears to have happened with mine), but does not solve the issue of the weak spot in between the two domes. So sort of fixed at this stage.

Sugar779 said: View Post
    Post your QC pics and we will let you know what you have.

DL4567 said: View Post
    No pictures show on my screen in the first post.
    Yeah, there was an issue on my phone as well. They both show up now.

Spiderstella said: View Post
    Thanks @cavx all the right information in one place
    That is the plan. An because I am an active member here, I want to be able to update both the first two posts with relevant info or images when they come about. That V2 mod thread has us diving through literally hundreds of pages just to find a parts list that could have been copied and pasted into post #1 by the OP. Unless there is a time limit on editing posts, I want to keep it all up to date with an easy to find post.