Blaster concepts brought to life: DF1 Bryar, Custom Rogue One, 1313 original blaster

Re: Accurate Modified Bryar Pistol (Dark Forces 1) Blueprints

Im in the last part of the build now, and I gotta say it feels amazing to finally be able to hold this little *****r ;) The wierd thing is by how much I misjudged the grip. It is actually highly usable!

Looks great!!! I thought the same thing until my nephew got a Nerf gun with a similar grip. It feels like an extension of your arm.

Thanks! Yeah it fits surpricingly well in the hand (even though I have quite small hands)! It isn't the best design, but if one wants to stay true to the DF1 Bryar you have to make sacrifices, and this was a very small one in the end. But if it had the correct weight I imagine it would be near impossible to make a straight shot with a one hand grip.

In many ways it is indeed very similar to a nerf-gun! It really has the same bulk to it.

20170321_163033.jpg

A minor update:

The plates for the flash hider was made from masonite and the E11-inspired muzzle was a donation from an old broomstick. I've CADed the cooling cylinder as well as the main body of the flash hider, but I don't know if I'll have time to pick them up until next week.

The front mp40-sight was made from ordinary mdf-board.

The top-piece on the mag is a thin aluminium sheet (I needed a very small lip and wasn't in the mood to burn my fingers while trying to heatbend plastic). The main part of the mag is made of 2 layers of masonite and one layer of mdf.

A tip is not to choose a size on the D-ring that is impossible to aquire without ebay, and then proceed to build your own from iron-wire and aluminium... so much time wasted haha ��

Last edited:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Now I've gotten as far as I ever will without 3d-printed parts! It's been an amazing process to go from a standpoint that everything that could, should be printed and then molded, to the now almost finished blaster. Made from cardboard, mdf and wood in all its glory.

I will order the parts this week and the blaster will hopefully be finished really soon! After that, all that is left to be done is to build something of a stand, display or mean of transportarion.

20170327_213753.jpg20170327_214211.jpg20170327_215454.jpg20170327_215538.jpg20170327_215418.jpg

It's been quite a ride... but it is pretty much done. It has its problems and imperfections, but this is as close I will ever get without 3d-printing the whole thing (which I am actually considering haha). I REALLY like the design and I feel like I've stayed true to the original DF1, but that I still have made it my own.

The biggest ******* problem I have had is the damn coil/barrel. Even though fighting it to the bitter end, it still isn't completely lined up with the handle, which by the way has pretty much driven me insane the last couple of days. The same lining up-problem applies to the front "grip". Those two parts have caused me more problems than anything else in this build.

Right now it needs to stay put on a shelf for a week or two while the oil-paint used to weather it hardens. After that I will apply a final coat of varnish to seal everything up, and THEN I will take some final pictures of it in daylight with a reasonable background to show off the detail (I just couldn't keep myself from posting some pics tonight).

I got sidetracked and never took the final pics of the project haha... but I have made some stuff I wanted to share with you guys, and figured I might as well use the same thread:

20170512_211345.jpg20170512_211403.jpg

I was inspired by Rogue One to make my own original blaster. 20 pieces 3d-printed plastic and A LOT of cleanup later and here we are! If anyone wants the .stl-files, just send me a PM :thumbsup

My current blaster project is to make the 1313 blaster (before it was Boba Fett'ed and the game scrapped...). There is only one piece of artwork in existence (even though it's damn good.. quite a bit better than the Bryar-screencaps haha) and some blurry shots could be extracted from the gameplay. I added some of my own details where I felt there needed to be some more detail and had to freestyle the left side of the gun, this because it is virtually impossible to get more than 3 details while the shots are so dark and blurry.

Mando1313_1.pngMando1313_2.pngMando1313_3.png

Last edited:
Re: Blaster concepts brought to life: DF1 Bryar, Custom Rogue One, 1313 original blas

Update on the 1313 CAD:

As per usual i descided to scrap my original design and rework everything. If you have the time, this is a great process! This while the first run is hard enough to get kinda right, without worrying too much about the exact size of things.

For the second run I managed to get some reasonably good spatial and topological reference. I noticed that the handle is the same as the one used in the t-21 light repeating blaster, aka the ww2 Lewis machine gun. When you have identified the correct gun, it is fairly simple to get hold of the original blueprints (I love you, google.) and to get a size reference from that. But there is a big but in this case: The handle cant be seen in the best reference picture.

I noticed that the small "selected gun" icon ingame isn't very correct regarding the handle... it's off by quite a bit, but after mapping out the original I fully understand the sloppy work.. fairly illogical shape on that one to say the least.

The best way to map out the size of a gun is by looking at the trigger and trigger guard, which was what I proceeded to do.. and I was glad to notice that I made very many correct assumptions regarding the barrel in the original design. The bigger problem was the height and thickness of the "magazine/box" part. The height I could get a fairly god reading on by looking at the ingame-icon. The thickness could be calculated with the help of the Lewis-blueprints. The gas cylinder and greeblys were WAY off in the original, but the basic shape was easy to rework. All the displayed pieces are hollowed out to save material and have a reasonably good potential for assembly.. the gun I designed from scratch was easier to design with assembly in mind. I will also leave the hinges and all possible tubing out... it is A LOT easier to buy and cut down those parts, the same applies to all the screws and random hardware.

33.png1313 topoligical spatial.png
The new correctly sized one (in progress)
1313New.png
The old one
old1313.png
My plan is to make the handle out of wood (all the way through). This is mainly to make the handle easier to print and to save printing material (wood is dirt cheap). I'm not sure if I'm going to use my own greeblys to the same extent in the final one, while the correct sizes eleminates a lot of dead space on the gun... and I have to bear in mind that it actually isn't the size of a cannon (I tend to overestimate the size of things that I CAD because I get carried away and therethrough forget that I have to be able to both print and finish the piece irl with a PLA-printer (100microns))

I actually managed to find another demo where you can see the left side of the gun! After looking through every frame (took forever) i managed to grab some blurry, but still reference regarding the rough detail!! I will post the screencaps and possibly some progress this evening.

Last edited:
Re: Blaster concepts brought to life: DF1 Bryar, Custom Rogue One, 1313 original blas

Absolutely gorgeous! Love me a well done scratch build. And the model? :D:thumbsup

:D if you are referring to the 1313 Mandalorian, it is still a work in progress, but I will release my files as soon they are done and I've made sure that they dont pose too much of a problem regarding assembly (dont want to release my little laserblasting-baby into the world not working properly ;) )

If you are referring to my own design: If i remember correctly it composes of 20 pieces and doesn't require very much material (2mm walls minimum). The only bad thing with it is the support for the trigger... (1mm sheets wasn't an experiment with a successfull outcome haha)

Btw I think it would be quite easy to use the "body" to make Jyns blaster! Those parts are not fused to the rest of the gun off the printbed.

It was 22 parts: 1 of each part except the "wheel" and the "button lower barrel" (which i didn't use in the final build), of which you need 2 of each. Just a heads up: the knurling doesn't print too well.. it's not bad though, and given a few tries it shouldn't pose a problem (I'm actually REALLY pleased with the results on those parts), but I'm ordering my prints via 3dhubs and therefore chose to not use the knurled pieces. I used 100 micron layersize PLA, works like a dream :thumbsup

If you have any trouble with the "which part goes where in which order" just send me a message! I can send you some screencaps of the 3d-assemblyfile, the only thing you need to be aware of is that the barrel is kind of locked by the part underneath it and a bit fiddly to remove if you testfit it before painting. Other than that it is quite self explanatory.

(The weathering was achieved by spraying on about 5 layers of gunmetal-colored paint, left to harden for a couple of days, and then I sprayed it with a black semi-matte tire-rim-paint. And I'm talking about the thinnest layer possible! Then you have a couple of hours before it hardens to attack it with fine steel wool to achieve the finish! I finished it all off by dirtying it up with burnt umber and black waterbased oilpaints (check out Punished Props on youtube for more instructions))

Last edited:

I have made some progress this evening... but it's slow. Very slow.

Below you can see what I have got to work with regarding the left side, it's as far from a perfect reference as you could get, but at least it is something haha.. now I know how people felt when the VHS ruled the world and they tried to build stuff off the still images!
vänster referens high exp.png

Below you can see I made some minor changes to the right side, but I managed to add most of the left in one go. I think the big chunk missing on the top at the left side is supposed to accomodate some sort of mounting solution for the scope... maybee it will be clearer to me as I go along (I tend to figure out how to backward-engineer illogical stuff as I go along).

Im slowly geting there, the scope will be a dream to CAD compared to this hit-and-miss kind of work!
1313 prog2.png1313 prog1.png

Todays update:

I'm pretty much done with the body of the blaster. I might change the backplate on the right side somewhat, and maybe add some minor details or tweak stuff somewhat. The last bits are the plates that cover the center of the lights on the sides (I will pretty much copy the ones on the mockup, while the only problem was the size and not the shape).

I think the more accurate version looks a bit... naked... in comparison to my mockup. Something bugs me about the big empty spaces... but this might actually look better when bringing it into the real world. The blaster isn't that big, nowhere near the length of an E11, wich means that the shear amount of details would probably just be overwhelming in the end. Most old guns are pretty simple in their design, and I wanted to recreate the 1313 Mandalorian Heavy Blaster, not make another custom build, but it takes some time to change mindset between designing something and recreating something.

The changes I made:

Added the backplate on the right side.

Added the trigger (it will not be a moving piece, even though I considered it. PLA is quite brittle and I actually accidentally broke it off on my custom, which is the reason it will be fused to the bottom of the trigger guard this time).

Removed the hatch on the left side, this because I noticed that the surface is entirely flat on the screencaps.

Added holes for screws and rivets here and there.

Redesigned the non visual parts on the left backplate. There needed to be some fine and more gunlike feature to balance the large flat spaces.

Changed the shape and depth of the small box in the top corner on the left side. This will have a screw with knurling on top of it, and that is the closest I will get to the reference photos regarding that piece.

Added entrypoints for the tubing.

Removed the big chunk taken out on the left side. It was the reflections that played tricks on me. If you look really closely you can make out the shape I added this time around! I dont know if the screw-holes are really supposed to be there, but it looks a lot better with them there. You can see the difference between the sides clearly; one was made by and artist, and the other by a game developer. The latter lacks some of the complexity the other side, at least in my opinon.

The white lines show where 5mm tubing will go in the build face, or where the hinge is supposed to be!

Now I just need to tweak the sides somewhat before i hollow out the main body and slice it into two parts for printing (most of the right side is one piece that fits on top of the body of the gun. The prints have a tendency to be quite rough on top of large flat surfaces and I need to take cleaning and sanding into account.). The last part will be the scope, but that part is mosty made up of cylinders, which makes it quite easy. The main problem will again be the sizing, which is really crucial to the final look of the piece, while the relative sizes of the gun and scope are easily distinguishable. But it will be less off a pain than the detail on the body, which gives problems later on it they are incorrect. This is a problem in my process, because I work from one end to the other and one scaling problem early on ripples to all later parts. Thankfully I deem the model to be past that stage haha!
1313 v3.png1313 v3pt2.png

At this pace I will problably finish the CAD in a week, which means that I can leave it and then return with fresh eyes a few days later, make some minor adjustments, and still have the whole thing printed just in time for my vacation. My girlfriends vacation doesn't overlap mine completely, so I will pretty much have one full week to myself in the appartment when it comes to finishing the piece :D

And here we are! It is pretty much done, but I think I will make some minor adjustment after letting it sit for a couple of days! (The reason that the grooves of the front part of the scope are missing is due to printing-problems and I'm not sure if I am going to add them manually after is has been printed, I will probalby add the ones on the sides, while these aren't the ones causing problems)

All the files should be optimized for printing, even though it would probably help to split it up forther to help with the sanding. The problem is that some parts are so small that 1mm extra height from the printbed would screw things up badly if to many occured.

I'm really pleased with the result. The small things that bug me are related to the original design, but I think i will really fall in love with the piece in the build process... it is a great design by deafualt, but all SW-blasters have their shortcomings, what makes them great is the sum of all their parts.

Comments on the result are appreciated!

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png8.png

The mockup vs. the correct/final design:

old1313.png1.png

Had to post a comparison photo, and found a few flaws which I adjusted!

comp.png

I couldn't sleep so here I am 02:00 in the morning haha. I fixed the front part of the scope, it is now a separate piece and has it's grooves, I also added the mount for the screw on the same part. The final adjustment was rotating the cylinder between the barrel and the body 60 degrees.

The gas cylinder looks too small for two reasons: The concept art is kind of bent and the angles are all over the place, as you can see, and the light makes the small 1mm lid on top look more prominent, which means that the cylinder looks to be 18mm, not the correct 20. (double checked my size-mapping 3 times, beacause it seemed really strange).

There is a big risk that this gets sent to the printer really soon. The comparison photo did the trick regarding really loving the achieved look!

Last edited:

Very cool! I'd love to try this out with my printer when it comes and I've got it all set up!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I will share everything as soon as I have tested them :D The way I'm constructing the files means that they should be optimal for easy printing, without the need of extensive printing experience, supports everywhere and so forth.. should be quite straightforward!

.... aaand it is away! Just going to have to wait for feedback from a lokal printing-hub, but I don't think there will be any problems. If this new guy has any problems with printing it, I'm off to my old reliable hub (he's great and I really like the guy, but this print would have cost me a little more than a 100 bucks.. the other guy charges one third of that!)

Made some small changes in the internal structures.. it is real easy to mess things upp when you add this much material-saving features and then add new stuff on top of that haha. I also had to separate the scope from the body, the parts got to large to be printable on smaller machines, but this will mean that more people could potentially try it out! I also adjusted the notches on the part between the barrel and body.. they were too small in the earlier versions.

Below is the link to the files on the drive, if something isn't working properly, just comment and I will try to fix it when I can (this is kind of a prerelease as I haven't tested them myself yet haha):

(The inside of the scope isn't circular due to me caring more about the outer look than the scopes ability to function. I will add lenses to my piece.. but i will paint the backing of these black or add aluminum tape to add a convincing illusion of a working scope.. it would be like looking through a reversed spyglass anyway ;) )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7fySuxLgRv5MW1Qd01xY1FRaG8/view?usp=sharing

ready to print.png

Last edited:

NOTE:

I changed two of the files, because I made a mistake and removed some supports in the earlier version, which would cause complications when printing. It's the same link, but the files have entered 2.0-state.

The new hub I'm trying out is slow... so slow I'm almost tempted to cancel the order if he hasn't already started printing by tomorrow. He said he would have the pieces done by monday... which turned into thuesday. I still haven't recieved them, but I can deal with a one week delay to that price if the prints are ok.

So bored to hell and back I started to get some of the hardware. A good thing to try are dollar stores, they have a great supply of random stuff which can be used! I found the saddest attempt to produce finger skateboards I've ever seen, but there is nothing better than some looting off otherwise worthless toys:

4 x 10mm m1 philip screws
8 x 3mm m1 philip screws
2 x m1 nuts

I also found two bicycle-lamps and decided: I'm going to build some lights into this blaster and take it to the next level.

3x 3 Volt 420mA lithium batteries
2x circuitboards with a manual connectivity trigger, battery holder and a control-chip (you can just put your finger on the connector-plates and it turnes on the powermodes permanently. The three different modes of blinking is something I'm prepared to live with, a tripple tap to get to the normal "on" setting poses no problem. I might even use the blinking for the single green led).

First I'm going to remove the material on the left grip-piece to make room for the hardware. Then I'm going to solder wires to the circuitboards, pull everything to the right side of the blaster and use some aluminium tape to create invisible activators underneath the horizontal tube on the gas chamber. I've bought some LEDs that has somewhat stronger light than the original ones (three red to light up each side cylinder (6 total) on one board and one green to the other board. This is to prevent them from fading due to too high resistance in the circuit). It's a really wierd solution, but taking the space I have to work with into account, it is the best solution I could come up with without having a visible button on the blaster haha

I will assemble the left cylinder with screws to enable access to the circuitboards and batteries in the future. I demolished a ballpoint pen to get some good tubing to use on the top right side, and I've also bought some metal rod with 90 degree turns to use for the 5mm tubing on both sides. My girlfriend will make a worthy sacrifice in the form of a red transparent lid from one of her schampoo-flasks, which I will use as red lenses in the small cylinders (the LEDs will fit behind these, I may need to figure out a way to diffuse the light to make it even over the lenses)!

19621747_10203060730716296_543295068_n.jpg19691157_10203060730916301_10382068_n.jpgSchemata.png19578215_10203056403808126_1687126692_n.jpg

I changed my mind regarding the 6 LEDs.. after successfully mounting 4 i screwed up and had to buy a new board.. 3 will be sufficient, and they will operate at optimal power, when I had 6 i lost too much light from each one for it to be worth it. I didn't need the large original LED, it is a bit on the weak side, but I needed something to up the circuits resistance to not burn the two small ones out in a couple of minutes use haha. I have a potentially great idea regarding the activation... but that will be part of a later update when I know if it is doable ;)

(The print is almost done, hopefully I will have it in my possession on saturday or sunday!)

Last edited:

Picked the print up a couple of hours ago..

Last edited:

19692406_10203069475054899_1290292536_n.jpg
Finally. One week to get hold of the parts, but I think it forced me to make better electronics for the project in order to keep busy. One thing that kind of pisses me off somewhat is that he printed 2 of the same file to make it easy for himself.. which means that I only have one half of the pin, instead of one right and one left side. I wont be ordering from him again, even though the prints are quite ok.. it took too long, 6 days for a 2-3day print and he failed to deliver one part. I prefer the printing quality of my go-to guy and he is the fastest in the Gothenburg-area, even though he is a lot more expensive. This means he will get a wierd order of one half of the pin, at least my girlfriend will be happy about this, because I promised to CAD and print some spareparts for a couple of our blinders. This will cover the startup cost and save me 6$ in the long run.

Fighting a bad hangover means that I probably wont do any great feats of progress today.. I will maybe sand and assemble the front parts, but in this state I'm far to likely to mess something up haha

The bubbles on top of the stuff really confuses me... how... why... but... I really dont get it, I haven't seen any prints behave like that before, has to be some error in his printersettings. What is bad is that they will make the sanding process more complex as well as more time consuming..

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back