Ghostbusters Reboot (2016) Proton Pack - Simplified

cpbdogs

I'm currently working on a new cosplay from the Ghostbusters Reboot (Holtzmann, because let's face it, she's great). I might post a separate thread for my actual jumpsuit costume, but in here I'm going to be posting updates on my Proton Pack build progress.

The new pack is quite unique, making some of the pieces hard to find. Over on gbfans, people make these really elaborate and expensive reboot packs. I don't have the money for that so I decided I'd simplify it, but still make it look professional and accurate to the film pack.

I started with a wooden pegboard. I then cut it down into two 11 7/8" x 19 3/4" pieces. I then glued them together for added strength. This piece is called the "motherboard". The film motherboard (and many replicas) is made out of metal. That's both expensive and heavy. I found that the pegboard would work nicely because it had pre-existing holes in it for the screws I'd use to attach other parts.
20160803_120541.jpg

After the glue had dried (thank goodness that it's a hot and sunny August day...) I painted the pegboard with silver spray paint. I wanted to get the metal effect without actually using metal.
20160803_132336.jpg

While the glue was drying, I got to work on the tackle box. Technically it was an "electrical parts box" that I grabbed from the home improvement section at Walmart. The entire box was black except for the handle and clasp. I spray painted those with matte/flat black spray paint. The film pack has raised circles on it, while mine had raised squares. I took advantage of those and painted some "battle scratches" around them with silver gilding paint. The film version has similar paint around the circles. I suppose that it gives the box the effect of scratched, painted metal.
20160803_124146.jpg

After everything had dried, I drilled holes in the back of the tackle box and put four 3/4 inch machine screws through the box and the pegboard. I secured them with washers and bolts.
20160803_134937.jpg
20160803_134930.jpg

So this is my current progress. Sorry for the pictures turned, I couldn't figure out how to fix them. If you know how to rotate them, could you please let me know? Thanks guys!

Progress: 1/?

Wow that looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing! What did you use to replicate the top black part of the mesh cage?
This pack is treated as a joke by our franchise because we made it over two weeks. But to answer your question, we used a stainless steel kitchen strainer from Home Goods.

more pics:
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

That motherboard is the only part that's struggling me. But I'm sure after I get that piece, cutting the Hammond boxes will be a challenge. I have no tools!

That motherboard is the only part that's struggling me. But I'm sure after I get that piece, cutting the Hammond boxes will be a challenge. I have no tools!
Cut the mother board out of wood. Paint it silver. Draw the "holes" with a Sharpie Marker. Or use a peg board.

Yeah, that was my struggle too! The pegboard is working wonderfully for me right now. It's really versatile! I was messing around with it, and I can move my tackle box to whatever side I want without worrying about drilling any new holes.

The top part was cut out of foam board and painted black.

More build pics. The measurements are true to size.
On the third picture, what did you use for the meter on the particle thrower? I think in the picture it says "moisture detector" but it was a bit difficult to read.

On the third picture, what did you use for the meter on the particle thrower? I think in the picture it says "moisture detector" but it was a bit difficult to read.
You are correct. The gauge came from an old, busted up moisture meter sitting in a to be trashed pile at work.

UPDATE:

I picked up some items today to continue my progress on my Proton Pack.

I grabbed a 1/2" dowel rod and printed caution tape onto sticker paper. I painted the tips of the rod black and applied the sticker. This goes on top of the tackle box as shown below.

20160806_165541.jpg20160806_173014.jpg

(Not pictured) I found a mesh colander at a local kitchen store with wire accents similar to the film pack. This becomes the pack's "Faraday cage".

Next, I took some foam-core posterboard and cut out three rings. Those rings were then painted black. I cut six small diameter dowel rods for the decoration on top of the cage (colander). Those dowels were painted with the silver gild paint. I arranged the three rings from biggest (on the outside) to smallest (on the inside). I placed the dowels on top of the rings and hot-glued them into place. I then hot-glued this arrangement on top of the cage.
20160806_210417.jpg20160806_212908.jpg20160806_212927.jpg

I ordered some lights from Ebay. I have no idea how to program lights and things, so I figured it'd be safer and easier for me to just order some simple switch-on battery powered lights. The one I ended up ordering is called "EL Wire". Its basically a single coated wire that has continuous red light through it. It has three modes; on, flashing, and strobe. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it's very cool. It's not super bright in daylight, but still looks good. Here's a picture of it lit up in low light:
20160806_225852.jpg

I have yet to get the washers I need to attach the cage to the motherboard (pegboard) but I'll get them soon. I also need to figure out what I want to put on the inside of the cage, so I'll update soon with what I decide to use. Here's the cage on top of the motherboard in it's position. The first picture is without the EL Wire on, and the second one is with it on.
20160806_225841.jpg20160806_225845.jpg

-Also, I still don't know how to turn pictures? If you know how to do that, please help me out..​

Progress: 2/?​

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back