Captain America Heater Shield paint help!!

crank

Hello all,
I am wondering if I can get a little help from you talented folks.
I am working on the Cap heater shield repaint using the common yellow shield most have used.
I kinda followed BD Jones example, right down to the same paints.
I sanded down almost to metal, then used Rustoleum Filler Primer to clean up some small nicks & dents. I then used 600 grit & wet sanded then repeated.
I then used Rustoleum Painters Touch Gloss White for a base, but it turned out really patchy & had a little of the orange peel going on.
Not glossy whatsoever. I only did light coats, a day apart over 3 days, & humidity was 50-60%
Is this just a case of bad paint? I did leave in in the garage to dry, & it might be a little more damp in there over night but this seems weird.
If anyone could help, that would be fantastic!!
Thanks!!

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 186878175_rust-oleum-painters-touch-2x-12-oz-gloss-white-general-.jpg
    186878175_rust-oleum-painters-touch-2x-12-oz-gloss-white-general-.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 73
I'm not sure about what you're painting specifically, BUT I have painted lots of props, so I'll try to help. That filler primer, set it aside for now and buy a normal non-filler primer. The filler ones have caused me a lot of problems. I have the best luck with a light coat of normal primer. So, I would try that. Make sure to give the primer plenty of time to cure,

Thanks for the reply!
Turns out I was too light with the paint. After I restripped it, I went a little heavy on the paint. Nice & glossy now!!

Hey all!
I'm having some trouble with the finishing step on my shield. I have it all painted, looks nice & glossy! But I used a 2000 grit wetsandpaper, & now it looks very "orange peely". I then followed with some Meguiars Ultimate compound, hoping it would polish out. Now I have some blue streaking into the white stars, & the pitting effect still remains. What did I mess up? Should I have done a clear coat after wetsanding, then gone with the rubbing compound?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back