Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Did you guys notice the bottom hull dish is molded with the two front quarters (where the lower equipment bays are located) as separate pieces? That is pretty strong evidence that Bandai may be planning ahead so they can release an TESB/ROTJ version with the additional front landing gear boxes. Since the top dish is molded as one piece (the engine deck being a snap on), it's hard to imagine another reason they'd do this.

Did you guys notice the bottom hull dish is molded with the two front quarters (where the lower equipment bays are located) as separate pieces? That is pretty strong evidence that Bandai may be planning ahead so they can release an TESB/ROTJ version with the additional front landing gear boxes. Since the top dish is molded as one piece (the engine deck being a snap on), it's hard to imagine another reason they'd do this.

Seems a pretty reasonable assumption to me. Let's hope.

- - - Updated - - -

At least one of these beasts is out in the wild already: https://instagram.com/p/BYW0lEPlQrK/

Hmm. Didn't see the lighting system for it.

The lighting kit is likely sealed in a separate bubble pouch or box. It could be hiding under that pile of sprues.

Man, this seeing this kit makes the 11-year-old me very happy.

The money shot?

img_3.jpg

Was thinking the same thing about eBay for my FineMolds... who's going to buy them now. Sort of a bummer. I guess there's still some folks who may want it.
Wow - huge difference. Gotta post my Fine Molds on Ebay soon.

Four hundred bucks and it's only 19 inches?

It's a lot of money, yes, but you have to consider some things:

-It is in 1/72 scale so it can be displayed with all the other 1/72 Bandai kits
-It comes with a lighting kit
-It is the first accurate representation of the 5 ft studio model that most people have been wanting (reason enough to justify the price)
-It is cheaper than the best falcons out there (MR, DeAgo) yet better than the more affordable ones (Fine Molds-- now Revell)
-And lastly, it will never go down in price. Just imagine if Bandai said "we're discontinuing this kit come 2018." Ebay would be a war zone

I like how that blog with the photos is listed in a category that Google's software translates as "Middle-aged Hobby". Yeah, that's about right.

I also love the way the product is arriving to people in these absolutely perfect and pristine Platonic ideals of a cardboard box. Not all smashed up and dented. That's the care that Japanese shipping takes for you.

Anyway. Looks like some of the remaining outstanding questions have been answered.

- The cockpit nose cone is unfortunately in two halves with a horizontal seam. Really would have preferred a cone which comes off in its entirety, so you can clip it in place with magnets and not have an ugly seam halfway along. Ah well.

- Seems like there is just one etched metal piece, so no additional part for cockpit backwalls etc.

- The cockpit backwall is clear plastic with the greeblies molded in place. The idea is you place LEDs behind it and use the supplied decals (with a ton of decal setting solution!) to get the highly detailed lights, pinstripe lines, etc. You'll probably want to paint it carefully first to avoid light leaks.

- The ramp appears to be a two-parter like the one on the 144 Bandai Falcon. So you either put a bottom plate for in-flight mode, or a fixed ramp in the down position. The hydraulic pistons seem to be molded into the ramp's interior walls, so some engineering will be required if you want a movable ramp.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back