The next release of the Tomenosuke Blaster from Blade Runner

Aaaand it's in!

Only bummer, rip on the box. Great box art torn cuz they taped the packing bubbles to it. :behave - smart.

So the trigger only pulls when I have the cylinder out... tips? it's all in Japanese, heh.

It could be there's pressure on the cylinder preventing it from turning. If it can't turn, the trigger won't be able to pull either, as it not only draws back the hammer, but advances the cylinder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be there's pressure on the cylinder preventing it from turning. If it can't turn, the trigger won't be able to pull either, as it not only draws back the hammer, but advances the cylinder as well.

Got it working!

Man the moving cylinder is why I bought this piece over Coyle's....

Likely nothing can be done about the wrecked box art (which was definitely a selling point) but I decided to throw an email and see.

Seems dumb, but after 1500 canadian all said and done... I mean come on.. don't tape the bubble wrap to the front! heh.

Not sure if you have heard back from customer service or not, but I suspect that happened after shipping here. I watch them pack these and there is never any tape used until it is already wrapped in bubble wrap, and then taped. Nobody here would use tape first. I am thinking that when customs opened this up, that they didn't take care in re-wrapping it and they probably just wrapped it with the tape touching the box. That sucks.

Yep pretty much what customer service was saying. IF they can find another box top, they'll send it through... So if you see one lying around! ;)

Talking to my friend, another collector, he was saying "What? I'd have just thrown it out anyway..." I found that weird... but if anyone else was just planning on tossing theirs, shoot me a PM! (I had a plan for a display using the box and art... now... ehhhhh it looks a bit crappy)

Hey guys. Well, hopefully most of you have received your new Tomeno by now and are happy with it. So this shouldn't dent your opinion of what appears to be a fine offering for most. Unfortunately however, my joy turned to utter disappointment...

The good news, the box is intact and un-damaged, which was pleasantly surprising after seeing the condition of the UPS box it came in. Phew!

E5C3B110-9A2B-4CEB-AA8C-886DD6F299A2.jpg

Appears to be all there. Yus!! [emoji106]

DC06ECC4-0829-4171-98F3-6F096AB5CEC7.jpg

Unwrapped her and this is where things start to go downhill.

Ok, first up, I don't know about you guys, but when I bought the new "blued" version I was expecting just that, a BLUE receiver. However, this appears to be black. Now I know this was more my ignorance as to what a "blued" receiver would actually look like in person, but to me this just looks like a semi-gloss finish, rather than the mat finish of the Retail Pro. Perhaps I set my expectation wrong after seeing this piece of art - the Tomenosuke Toku Edition (Nexus7 pic cred)...

Tomenosuke%20Toku%20Edition.jpg

I know lighting, etc, plays a big part but they certainly don't compare...

114C7B99-D72B-4A29-B868-D472707B82C0.jpg

06648662-A3A8-434D-A189-B232611A1A8F.jpg

Perhaps this new version can be easily made more blue with a bluing kit and some polishing. No doubt some of you will have lots to say on this.

Ok, so the blue thing is subjective and definitely more my unreal expectations than an actual fault with the prop. The following however is where my real disappointment lies.

The mag housing on mine looks worn, with stacks of what appear to be stress fractures or scratches at best. It actually looks like a second hand part...

4A74B8F5-3407-4AAC-9939-511F15343539.jpg

CC7F82CF-FD3C-42B0-AF62-42A3C3AB353A.jpg

11E6247F-26EF-424D-8A84-1BABCCADC258.jpg

As you can see this is not the case on my Retail Pro...

19D4A535-CF4F-4EBC-919A-0972B9320C85.jpg

Next up, big smudge marks on the receiver. Yes, I've given it a good wipe and no they didn't come off. As they appear on both sides of the receiver right around the screw holes I tend to think it might be screw lock glue residue?

F03A1317-C5BC-47ED-B02A-82BA76093A67.jpg

2901A582-0C9E-4D5A-B783-A469B410144D.jpg

016EE15E-E377-4F18-A24F-A8B1DDBA023C.jpg

This may come off with turps or something, but I'm pretty reluctant to take to it with a chemical. Unless it's blueing liquid. Lol

While on the receiver, mine is scratched...

F23A5F04-8662-49EF-987E-A5FC6E07D791.jpg

That one isn't as bad as the one beside the screw hole...

2FE70119-9158-4251-8EC3-C40A6758D761.jpg

Yeah, that ain't gonna polish out! [emoji25]

Finally the cylinder cover appears to lost some of it's clear coat...

FB6C2428-D035-40E4-85A7-3DDAB0CBBA5D.jpg

The big white spot is the light reflection of course, but you can easily see where the clear coat has failed.

So, while everything works as it should (trigger, cylinder, I haven't actually tested the lights yet), the finish it incredibly disappointing. To be honest this looks like it's been put together with a bunch of "seconds" parts.

I am a huge Tomeno and HCG fan and those who know me on here know I'm not one to complain for no reason. No doubt this is isolated to the one I have received as others don't seem to have experienced these issues. Also, I am yet to contact HCG about these issues and was at two minds about posting this review until I had spoke with them. But I figure you'd guys would want to know and maybe some have some ideas how to rectify these issues.

Quote away. [emoji4][emoji106]

Mine has the "smudges" as well. They appear to be due to a slightly deteriorating mother mold.

As for the "top-coat", I don't know about yours but mine came covered in a lubricant that I had to wipe off. All of the gloss parts looked kind of like that before I did so.

No screw lock is used in the construction as it is easily disassembled. As far as the ammo box, it actually looks more screen accurate ;). The scratches on the receiver are cause for concern though.

Regarding the finish, it is correct. It should look black, that is what bluing is. The original gun parts used had semi-glossy finishes to begin with, just like this version. The original Pro Retail–as beautiful as it is–does not have an accurate finish.

So if you exchange it for any reason, it should be the gouges on the top receiver screw and the scratched up ammo box. On the other hand, if you were planning on weathering it, all of these faults would actually add to the overall screen-accurate look.

Mine has the "smudges" as well. They appear to be due to a slightly deteriorating mother mold.

As for the "top-coat", I don't know about yours but mine came covered in a lubricant that I had to wipe off. All of the gloss parts looked kind of like that before I did so.

No screw lock is used in the construction as it is easily disassembled. As far as the ammo box, it actually looks more screen accurate ;). The scratches on the receiver are cause for concern though.

Regarding the finish, it is correct. It should look black, that is what bluing is. The original gun parts used had semi-glossy finishes to begin with, just like this version. The original Pro Retail–as beautiful as it is–does not have an accurate finish.

So if you exchange it for any reason, it should be the gouges on the top receiver screw and the scratched up ammo box. On the other hand, if you were planning on weathering it, all of these faults would actually add to the overall screen-accurate look.

Deteriorating mother mold? For a $900 prop?? Hmmm...

And no, the clear coat issue is definitely not the lubricant. Photos were taken after the gun was given a good wipe down. There's no lubricant in any of the pics.

I may HAVE to weather it, but it should not have to be my only option. I already have a weathered Sidkit and a screen accurate Coyle, half the reason for getting the Tomenosuke is for that "freshly issued" UN-weathered look! The irony. :facepalm

Last edited:
Hey guys. Well, hopefully most of you have received your new Tomeno by now...

Definitely looks like yours snuck through quality control. The smudging on the receiver actually looks like what happens when you don't prep the surface quite well enough (or touch it at the wrong time) when using bluing fluids.

I'm sure it was a nightmare coordinating this project, and there's no way they could all be Nobu-quality since that would entail dozens of hours per unit, prepping and finishing parts...

I would ask about a replacement. I can't imagine they wouldn't try to work with you on this. In the event they don't, though, you could try polishing up the receiver with some Mother's Mag Polish. Or sand it and refinish it yourself, although I really doubt that's what you want to hear after $900.

That does look pretty rough.
Please contact customer service at 407-985-4613 and send photos in an email to
cs@hollywood-collectibles.com
I'm sure you will be able to exchange it for a new one. Just speak with customer service and once they see the photos you should be good.

Thank you good sir. No doubt HCG will come to the party for me. [emoji106]

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back