Hawkeye Civil War Costume Build

Fog n Stitches

Hello all! First post and jumping into the deep end early. I am working to get Hawkeye's costume from Captain America: Civil War completed for this summer. I have already started to work on patterning for the vest and sourcing materials. It had seemed so simple! (this is always my rally cry once I actually start a project). I do hope with the movie being released domestically this weekend I'll get more resources. I will post up progress as I get along as well as any questions I have for those maybe more in the know then myself.

Lets start with questions:

1) Jeremy Renner is left handed so of course the costume and fittings are set up for a left handed archer/shooter. I am right handed and all of my current archery and hawkeye bows are set for a right handed shooter and I already have a drop leg holster for a rightie. Whats the general thought on 'swapping' things around for a right handed person? it would mean having my gun holster on my right leg, swapping the sleeves and goloves to opposite sides and placement of the quiver.

2) Buckles? Does anyone have any idea of the buckles that appear on the quiver strapping/chest brace thing are something pre-existing or custom made? The look like they could be a toggle or some kind of magnetic buckle? There looks to be a 2in one on the front of the quiver chest piece as well a smaller ones on the right arm brace. Any ideas?

Hawk1.jpg Hawk2.jpg

Left Photo: From the Civil War pop-up shop display in Tokyo taken by a friend who was recently there / Right Photo: Promo Interview

The fabric samples have started to come in. his vest has a lot of bits and different textures. So I had been hoping the nylon would have a wider weave to approximate for the black fabric used around the neckline. If I don't find something with a bigger weave that looks good enough I may go with 1050 D. Views?
fabricsamples.jpg

1) If you want an exact replica, don't change the orientation. That being said, my opinion is that anybody that faults you for changing the orientation of the costume to suit your existing equipment and righty preferences is a snob and needs to shut up. Tailor it to your needs and comforts. Most people who recognize that you swapped it will probably be too busy admiring the craftsmanship to care.

2) I have never seen any buckles nor slides that look like that. They may very well be custom made, or just a rarely used variation that you may have to dig around the web for.

As for that fabric, as long as you are shopping at Rocky Woods, I suggest checking out their stretch sandwich mesh. It is breathable, will allow extra stretch in the shoulder area (important for archers), and has a textured look that visually pops.

Thanks so much for the thoughts Vox! I was worrying that those buckles may be a custom thing, though something in my mind wants me to believe i've SEEN something like them somewhere. But so far no luck. I have located suppliers for the regular slides and buckles I see everywhere else.

Super thanks on the Rocky Woods suggestion! I will for sure look into some of the Sandwich Mesh. I am right now waiting on some regular mesh (for the sides of the vest) and some other fabric samples from Rocky Woods. I am pretty set on using Rocky Woods to get my webbing and belting for the Quiver rig.

Another place you can look into for strapping and buckles is strapworks.com. They are super affordable, ship fast, and their stuff is great. I've only had good experiences with them.

I believe that I read somewhere that the costume makers for CW tended to custom make a lot of the buckle work.

But don't quote me on that!

Hi,

i found some buckles which look really like the ones used in the movie.
I don't know, if there's an english Name for them but in germany we call them "Bikini Verschluss".
I found a shop where you can buy them in different sizes. It is the only shop in which i found them for 5cm belts.
I ordered one yesterday.
If you are interested i will let you know how they come out when i got them. :)

Hi,

I'm looking at doing a civil war hawkeye costume myself, was just wandering if you've had any luck identifying the mesh type fabrics in the vest? (highlighted in picture)
The black kind of looks like spacer mesh, but i'm not sure, and I have no idea what to look for for the purple mesh.

hawkeye fabrics.jpg

Thanks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back