Jurassic Park Cryo Can Build

swampbilly

I know there are several threads out there from 3D printed to aluminum bought replicas. I also know its a prop from a 1993 film. But since i was 7 i always thought owning a prop like that would have been so cool. Watching Jurassic World (I wont get into my review on that one) rekindled my desire for one once again. For several months i drew and researched and thought and drew abd brainstormed and watched countless video reviews on Rylo and LionFx props and a few things whispered of Nicksdad. I finally chucked my first piece of metal in the lathe and started cutting. While building and researching how the mechanism would even work i grew more and more excited. It took me a month to get 99% complete. When i took it home i was giddy as hell and my wife was hysterical. So here is my progress via photos.
20160311_103119.jpg
I started with a stainless steel base which was soon thrown out for a lighter version of aluminum.
20160311_103020.jpg
This is the start of the coolant housing in the mill.
20160311_164341.jpg
Coolant housing sitting on unfinished SS base with temp o-ring
20160315_074613.jpg
Coolant housing bored for slide carriage mechanism. Mechanism is a rough cut part here.
20160325_104902.jpg
Embryo cryo rack made. Took me 3 days. Things are starting to get very exciting!
20160325_104858.jpg
Marking holes for drilling the coolant housing!
20160325_115337.jpg
At this point containing my excitment was impossible!
20160328_152751.jpg
New aluminum base design underway changing from the hero prop version to a more realistic can like base.
20160328_152755.jpg
Concave at bottom to allow the use of the original base of a barbasol can epoxied in place.

Last edited:
20160401_155432.jpg
Cryo containment unit in a temporary mock can.
20160401_155452.jpg
Containment unit removed.
20160401_155513.jpg
A view of the bottom with and actual can bottom and lip. Oh and the silicone red o-ring
20160401_155530.jpg
Close unit. Btw the closer i got the more excited i got the more i forgot to take pics! I practiced many times before actually machining the output tube of the shaving cream cylinder to get the half sphere and threads.
20160401_155545.jpg
Open containment unit. With a peek at the mechanism bolts. I based this design off a youtube review prop.
Check out my video at: https://youtu.be/_k-_g5vTpkE

Last edited:
Since you mentioned my name and I'm quoting you, here: "Similar to Rylo if not exactly the same" while tossing out the caveat, you've never actually seen my work in person?? Difficult to make sense out of that...

Might I suggest, when sharing your work on this forum you allow it to stand on it's own merit without comparing it to the work of others. To do otherwise forces a prop maker like myself to chime in (to avoid any possible confusion) and correct you.

That said, no. It's not at all like mine unless you close one eye and squint with the other.

Nice effort, just the same. :thumbsup

-Rylo

NOTE: One of the references you mentioned has already been banned from this forum and would hardly be considered an authority on the topic.

Well....i meant no offense to you. I actually love your prop and in my opinion made not a single negative remark. When i said what i said i was referring to and inly to the mechanism itself. In fact thanks to your awesome prop I was able to make this prop for myself. You see it was a review on your prop that i was able to see the set screws and milled slots in order to even make the mechanism possible. I was also going to post a thank you to all the help i got by you and a certain reviewer from youtube but alas i was leaving work and could not finish up my post. Rylo....i dont know you and again did not mean any offense. Regardless thank you for making such an awesome prop. I would appreciate your feedback. I do have a question though. When someone makes something amazing would it not feel great to have inspired others to make their own? After all it is expected that people may use your inspirational props as a large help to their projects. I feel that my statement was not offensive. I do appreciate you!

Ah, good. I see you've edited.

As I told you by PM, when you make a statement like "Exactly like Rylo's" people can get confused. It suggests you're attempting to calibrate the quality of your work against mine.

That enters into Google searches forever, which can further add to the confusion. I prefer to avoid that. I do this professionally. I field tons of PMs and emails asking me to differentiate between my work and others based on comments just like yours all the time.

Inspiration, etc. is all well and good; always appreciated, but when you draw a direct comparison between yourself and another's work, don't be surprised if they bristle. I've spent 20 years cultivating my reputation and remain vociferously protective of it.

Share your work, but let it stand on it's own and you'll be just fine.

Again, Good luck!

wow..

I didnt see the original post.. but what is that bad? (I hope not!)

Current post (to me) read as a 'compliment' in my mind about your work..

(even though the 'nice effort' reply comment seems a bit back-handed?.. at least -reads- that way.)

*note to self about palmeto efx group

anyways..

@OP..

great work.. thanks for the share!

Last edited:
wow..

(even though the 'nice effort' reply comment seems a bit back-handed?.. at least -reads- that way.)

anyways..

@OP..

thank you so much for your compliment and backing me up. youve made me smile a bit about this thread. i was kinda bummed when i received the first response.

to be fair...

"I" havent read the original post... (so I dont know how things read to him)

still an awesome project..

to be fair...

"I" havent read the original post... (so I dont know how things read to him)

still an awesome project..

i have no problem sharing the original post! besides it is public any way. in my second post near the bottom you will see a link that says last edited by swampbilly. click that and click compare posts. it will show you the changes in red

i have no problem sharing the original post! besides it is public any way. in my second post near the bottom you will see a link that says last edited by swampbilly. click that and click compare posts. it will show you the changes in red

The person that does the editing is the only one that can do that.

I saw Jurassic Park when I was 9 years old, and I thought the cryo can was one of coolest things I'd ever seen. A quarter-century later, it still makes me stupid-excited to see people making them. Great work on this.

Looks excellent. Film from 1993 or not everyone will recognise it. Ive just starting collecting bits to make my own. I found some original barbasol style safe cans so I'll be using those.

wow..

anyways..

@OP..

Rylo is never one to walk on egg shells and will always tell it like it is. Truth be, sometimes people can get their butt hurt by his words, but look at it from his position. He worked almost 20 years to garner his reputation as a seller and master prop builder. His quality is held in the highest position and he worked his butt off to get there. So when he sees someone compare or step on his toes through comparing their item to his, he will step up and protect his brand. And trust me.... Rylo is a brand! People know his name as a mark of a great product. So I can't blame him to protect his name. Like he said, if you have a great quality build, trust that it can stand on its own and it can be the stepping stone to elevate you to the popularity and status that he achieved. You have skills, your build is beautiful and you should be proud! I think you did a great job with it! :thumbsup

Great build so far, not sure why things got so unnecessarily tense its just a prop haha. And you clearly meant no ill will, but some people are edgy by nature. Ironic when speaking about good reputations. Anyways good job!

I appreciate everyone's responses! Im glad people can appreciate it! Yea i get giddy when i see these cans built. I appreciate both sides of the wierdness above but i think its all cleared up. Ill post finished pics soon. Im also attempting the actual cryogenic embryo storage tower very soon.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back