NorCal
    Feb 23, 2016, 12:45 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #2

kalkamel said: View Post
    Hot damn!
    You got that right
    From
    MN, United States
    Feb 23, 2016, 11:44 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #3

Damn that looks good! I'd love to put the money down for that thing, but that's not likely, unfortunately.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 23, 2016, 12:26 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #4

loving the boots!
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 23, 2016, 12:57 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #5

Some of the stuff looks decent but some of it looks like **** too. That neck seal is faux leather and the shape seems quite a bit off. Where are the gloves picture? They are faux leather as well. Also, no boots? And what's with the pants and the suspenders? Also, as far as the pricing goes I'm going to have probably 2000 into mine total with all the pieces which is far far less than what they want that doesn't include boots or lightsaber.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 23, 2016, 1:47 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #6

TheAutoTech said: View Post
    Some of the stuff looks decent but some of it looks like **** too. That neck seal is faux leather and the shape seems quite a bit off. Where are the gloves picture? They are faux leather as well. Also, no boots? And what's with the pants and the suspenders? Also, as far as the pricing goes I'm going to have probably 2000 into mine total with all the pieces which is far far less than what they want that doesn't include boots or lightsaber.
    the price is just crazy for fabric clothing. but then, in no expert.
    Feb 23, 2016, 2:45 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #7

That neck seal...
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Feb 23, 2016, 4:40 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #8

They're crazy for asking that much IMO... 2,635 for Tier 1.... 3,100 'MSRP'... Soft goods costing more than any of their full armors cost? God this is making me dread the F/O Trooper cost already..
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Feb 23, 2016, 5:41 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #9

Uncontested said: View Post
    They're crazy for asking that much IMO... 2,635 for Tier 1.... 3,100 'MSRP'... Soft goods costing more than any of their full armors cost? God this is making me dread the F/O Trooper cost already..
    That price is with the helmet too. Tier 1 for outfit without the helmet is 2k which is still a lot.
  10. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 23, 2016, 7:18 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #10

You're looking at an accurate reproduction of the production made costume. The fabrics are custom made, coated in the same way they were done for the film (which, by the way, no one has figured out yet how to do properly). The pants have suspenders, just like the film costume did. The base layer has a mesh panel to allow for cooling, and to prevent the wearer from suffering heat stroke. Many film production costumes comprised of multiple layers do this (See: Captain America: Civil War).

Also keep in mind, this is a prototype on a mannequin. Some of the pieces won't look right. The neck seal seems to be the piece everyone is pointing out the most, but that is how the neck seal was constructed.

You will not be able to make a more screen accurate costume using materials as accurate as these for less.
    From
    U.K.
    Feb 23, 2016, 7:52 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #11

Kevin Gossett said: View Post
    You're looking at an accurate reproduction of the production made costume. The fabrics are custom made, coated in the same way they were done for the film (which, by the way, no one has figured out yet how to do properly). The pants have suspenders, just like the film costume did. The base layer has a mesh panel to allow for cooling, and to prevent the wearer from suffering heat stroke. Many film production costumes comprised of multiple layers do this (See: Captain America: Civil War).

Also keep in mind, this is a prototype on a mannequin. Some of the pieces won't look right. The neck seal seems to be the piece everyone is pointing out the most, but that is how the neck seal was constructed.

You will not be able to make a more screen accurate costume using materials as accurate as these for less.
    I agree with this, it's incredible, at an incredible price.

I've never shopped with anovos, but I ordered the Kylo helmet and I trust it will be perfect.

it just amazes me that a fabric costume can cost more to make than the helmet alone. amazing!
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    From
    Southern California.
    Feb 23, 2016, 7:57 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #12

The sizing options are interesting, they're keeping the inseam & lengths 1:1 with the movie costume and adjusting the waist.

I'm surprised he's more $350 more than Vader -- Also, worth noting that getting Tier 1 of the Helmet a few months back and getting Tier 1 of the costume ensemble is cheaper than Tier 1 of the helmet + ensemble.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 23, 2016, 8:19 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #13

If this were a villain I actually like, I'd have no problem putting down that kind of cash. This is a VERY reasonable price for an incredible replica costume based on the SU originals.
  14. Cry-Lo Ren is offline Cry-Lo Ren
    Feb 23, 2016, 8:21 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #14

I think they did a great job and it seems that they even sold out on the kylo helmet which says a lot as I think its their first star wars item to actually be sold out. Im glad i was able to snag one
    Feb 23, 2016, 9:38 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #15

Like I posted in another thread, I've been involved with prototyping this, I can tell you the costume is really nicely made, far better than any replica costume I have seen before. The fabric was custom made to match screen used Ren costumes.
    Feb 23, 2016, 10:01 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #16

The big question is if this will actually ship in a reasonable time? Still waiting on my Bespin Luke in ordered in 2014. Price is great for the quality I'm sure.
  17. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Feb 23, 2016, 10:53 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #17

Neck seal still looks like crap to me, plus faux leather. Gloves aren't pictured, plus faux leather. No boots? Lightsaber clip not functional? I'm also wondering what time frame you would even get it as the helmet itself is still a ways out. Also don't get why it's cheaper to buy the helmet and costume separate compared to getting them together. Also, they don't allow custom measurements? I would hope for that kind of money they do.
    From
    Maui
    Feb 24, 2016, 12:16 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #18

Anyone here thinking of just getting the costume parts and using their (modified?) Black Series helmet? I've frankly never comfortable walking around in a fiberglass helmet anyway. A bit pricey for just soft goods but none of the cheaper eBay or Etsy options seem to come close.
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Feb 24, 2016, 10:15 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #19

So I wonder why they aren't including the mid-coat?

Seems like a pretty big costume detail to leave off, especially considering it's what he wears in the final duel.
  20. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 24, 2016, 10:53 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #20

They've stated that he doesn't wear the midcoat and surcoat together in the film, which is why they left it out.
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Feb 24, 2016, 11:07 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #21

Really? Do you have a link for that?

it really seemed like he had both on in the gif from the Vanity Fair shots.

Not that I'm doubting, and I would love for this to be true.

I haven't researched the costume since just after the film premiere, so last I knew it was always there.
    From
    Trondheim, Norway
    Feb 24, 2016, 11:50 AM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #22

They've stated that he doesn't wear the midcoat and surcoat together in the film, which is why they left it out.
    I understood it as they said that he doesn't wear it together at all times during the film, but that he does at some points. I don't have the exact quote here, but it's on their fb page
    Feb 24, 2016, 12:15 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #23

I agree, my materials alone have cost me over 1k at this point and that doesn't include all the time spent assembling.

I DO think the neck seal looks wrong, though as you said is obviously just not sitting right on the mannequin, but here's the problem I'm having with it: a few people I've seen in the community are seeing Anovos as the end-all-be-all of accuracy. So now they want to sew their neck seal to look exactly like that, as in exactly like that when it's worn. Which would actually be inaccurate. And it's frustrating to show them a handful of screenshots where the neck seal is on Adam Driver and the pleats are pretty uniform against his neck and have them go "But this is how Anovos did it!"

But I am so happy about the mesh. I'm actually putting mesh into the bottom layer of my v2 and I've been worried that people will go "OOOH NOT ACCURATE!!" But I knew that mesh was a common thing for cooling, and being in the south with most troops happening in the summer I really needed to be able to put that on my costume. Now I can do it without worry which is nice.

As for the coating, I can tell you two ways to do it and both will look nice and accurate to the screen, but I guarantee it's not how Anovos did it. They probably had it done to entire bolts of fabric at once and that's just not something easily accomplished in a house or apartment.

I'm interested in the missing midcoat, from what I've read Anovos is saying he doesn't wear his midcoat with the top coat ever in the movie. (Which I don't entirely doubt) Yet his midcoat appears under his top coat in Vanity Fair, the Visual Dictionary, and on display. Honestly, I WANT Anovos to be right because as I mentioned earlier about being in the south, I'd rather not have to pile a midcoat on as well. But if they are right then that means the 501st CRLs need to be adjusted.
  24. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Feb 24, 2016, 1:12 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #24

The CRLs need to be completely overhauled anyway. Dawn did a fantastic job during the initial stages with very little resource, and she continues to improve her costume. At this point though, I wouldn't count on seeing a rewrite until well after the blu-ray is released and we get actual in-movie HD footage that can be dissected.

In regards to the Vanity Fair shot, that is likely from the scene that was cut from the film involving the snow speeders. So it very well still could be that the two coats weren't worn together in the final version of the film we saw.
  25. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Feb 24, 2016, 1:30 PM - Re: The Anovos Kylo Ren Costume #25

I have seen multiple home made ones here that look better. Right now I am at around $600 that is fabric, pants, inner tunic, gloves, boots, and helmet. Plus the $199 for the lightsaber. I will be sewing the tunics myself, I am figuring that I will be in under $2000 for once completed. And have it be movie accurate. Think $3000 is a bit excessive for it.