How durable are 3D printed props?

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hello fellow RPFers!

Simple question. How durable are 3D printed props? I have extremely limited experience with 3D printed pieces, but everyone I've held has been very light weight and brittle, or very plastic-y and flexible.

I notice quite a few guns and blaster are being produced exclusively as 3D printed pieces, even having the 3D print being the main attraction. I come from a place where anything 3D printed would have been mastered and molded, and then cast in your choice of materials. Are those days gone in favor of pieces directly off the print bed?

Personally, I see quite a few kits I'd like to purchase here, and would even like to pick up my own printer, but am not sure what to expect quality wise due to the nature of the 3D print.

funny you ask this, in curious strength wise between a 3D printed part from abs and a resin cast part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it depends on a number of issues, if the prop is made of pla, abs, or even nylon. Then on top of that how much infill% you are using when you print the prop.

I find with my personal props that as long as I use abs, and use and infill greater than about 20% then things are pretty sturdy but abs can cause warping if you are not real careful with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the material you get it printed in. Printed can be as hard or harder than cast resin, all depending on what quality and how much you pay. Same with resins. Expensive stuff is better than the cheap stuff. If you skimp out on the print, chances are it won't be very strong, similar to a resin cast from cheap resin.

I just got a 3D printer at christmas time and am learning on the fly about printing some props and prop pieces. Ive posted several pics here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=3877498#post3877498 (they are on page 2) of two sets of space 1999 props one 3d printed and the other carved from wood. The stun gun I printed from a downloaded file someone else had created, the comlock I printed from a file I created using OpenScad.

I have also printed a a 4th doctor sonic and and the new 12th doctor sonic. The 4th doctor sonic I designed in OpenScad and printed. It is fairly durable. The 12 doctor I printed from a downloaded file, it was rather delicate, in fact one piece broke away and I had to improvise a solution. One thing that I have learned about 3d printing is that its not as easy as it may seem. The stun gun from space 1999 took three tries before I got a good print. There are options in the printing software that will make the piece more durable. There is a fill option that goes from 0%-hollow up to 90% solid. with increments of 10 percent in between. The interior of the piece is printed with a honeycomb structure, the percentage that you chose makes the honeycombs bigger or smaller.

I think overall 3d printing has a place in prop making. Just like some people like making resin props, some are into fiberglass, others into vacuforming. I worked on the wooden models of the stun gun and comlock first. I've been working on them for several months. When I got the 3d printer and printed the gun it felt almost like I was cheating.

thanks guys for all the replies. i do not have any 3d printing skills, but i am needing half moons for a 1:1 scale R2D2 I'm building. the half moons in aluminum are around 210 bucks, the resin half moons are 50, and the 3d printed ones are 60. below is a photo of the moon shaped part on the side of the foot

IMG_0776.JPG

in the R2 world, the feet take allot of abuse because of excited kids, and parents who accidentally kick or step, rub or scuff the 3 feet. the part is available in all 3 options, aluminum, resin, 3d print. I'm still in the air exactly which way to go... id love the aluminum but i can put all that extra cash saved towards another parts and later on buy the aluminum half moons down the road. i figured 3d print was stronger depending on filler % but wanted to ask you all what your opinions are

thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated

Hey, Halliwax! I'm a fellow member of the Artoo Builders' Club. In fact, we've messaged there before. I'm using lots of 3D parts, so I think I can help. All of my 3D parts came from http://monkey3dparts.com/, and they're great. Perfectly sturdy on their own, for things like the half moons. Also, I use this as a finishing coat, and it makes them even stronger:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS7TYXA/

Also, when comparing resin to 3D printing, I'd say they're about the same. I own several of both types. ABS plastic is stronger than resin, but printed parts aren't as solid. Either way, I think you'll be OK. The biggest concern I had was with children standing on the half moons. But it's still cheaper to replace a plastic piece several times than it is to buy the aluminum version. Also, any chance you have to reduce the weight is a good one.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back