Maz Kanata Box Containing the "Skywalker" Lightsaber Build

Collectorchris

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am by no means a journeyman woodworker or carpenter, but I love the Maz box so much I am going to attempt to recreate it for a static display prop in my office, complete with hilt. I have used the pictures available on here and what I can find to come up with some rough estimates of width, height, and depth of the box and metal fittings. If anyone has any way of coming up with more precise dimensions, I am all ears! I intend to use some old distressed 2x6 or some old pallet wood. My concern with the pallet material is the thickness looks off, the 2x6 is about right, if not maybe a little too thick. I will upload the images I have (thanks to a previous post by Serenity and what I have scoured on the web) when I get some time. My rough estimate of the dimensions are:

Length = 20 inches
Width = 8 inches
Height = 10 inches

I think the metal binder strips are 1.5" wide and on the:
Front has 2 strips spaced 3" from top lip, 4" from side (These wrap from the front around bottom up back into hinge and across the top.
Sides centered at 5" with a 3"x2" carry ring and wrap 3" around front and back
Top has 3 (2 of which are wrapped from front all way around and join at hinges) the third strap is also hinged for the latch

I will find the metal material for the straps and drill for lag bolts which I may countersink the nut and fill/stain over.

I will age the metal with lemon juice and probably paint a rusted brown color.

I am going to start scouring for parts based on the above, any input anyone may have would be great.

I too have been looking, I am looking for the metal strapping these used. looks like they bent the strapping into making these own hinges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been scouring the internet for the last week trying to find anything similar, and it's just not out there. Most reclaimed wooden boxes or crates dont have the right kind of locking joints in the corners as this does, or the right metal parts. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Looking forward to seeing your progression with this.
I wanted to have a go but wanted to wait until there are maybe some more resource pics.

To age the wood, a method which im sure many know, is to flame the softwood with a torch until the grain is charred and wire brush it to bring out the grain - a lot of work but once painted/stained it should look just like the wood on the box in TFA.

Here are the pictures borrowed with the approval of Serenity

attachment.php

attachment.php

oh I believe this was a scratch built box. I'm debating on what wood they used... I'm wondering if it's oak...

The colouration and weathering does make it look like Oak, but the grain doesn't look like Oak to me. I'm not 100% on that though, I wouldn't know until I see it up close or have some detailed pics of the surface...

Re: Maz Kanata Box Containing the "Skywalker" Lightsaber Build

I think it is pine judging buy the way the boards are split on the lid, I have seen pallets split like that before, I also like the saw marks, which could be replicated with a colored pencil after it. Was stained. But it is not oak

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see a hyperspace sextant

I use to rebuild and "relic "guitars back in the day (which was a Thursday lol) and I used a mix of tea/steel wool and & vinegar. The chemical reaction gives the wood a good patina. Also, soaking it and then rough sanding it will bring out the grain.
the joints are common dove tail joints that should be a strong hold for that small of a box.

Maz Kanata Box Containing the "Skywalker" Lightsaber Build

don't take this as me being cocky. im just trying to help, but I am willing to bet my life on it that it's oak, rough sawn oak and heavily beat and weathered. oak cracks super easy like that. I build very high end furniture from scratch, oak is something I work with allot

I will try and post a photo of a time capsule I made out of oak, ( not a capsule u burry, they plan on displaying this in town hall for 50 years) which we made out of a 200 year old tree. cut the tree down brought it to the saw mill they rough cut it and we finished it all...

I'm on my phone right now just google image rough sawn oak, you'll see the cracks

then again wouldn't it be funny if the box was made out of resin! lol

I use to rebuild and "relic "guitars back in the day (which was a Thursday lol) and I used a mix of tea/steel wool and & vinegar. The chemical reaction gives the wood a good patina. Also, soaking it and then rough sanding it will bring out the grain.
the joints are common dove tail joints that should be a strong hold for that small of a box.

I have heard of this too!! I haven't tried it but it did sound very interesting, soak that in vinegar and water for acouple days, then paint the water vinegar on the wood, gives it a good grey weathered look

my next biggest question is the metal box strapping, have to find the right sizes, it also looks like the strapping hinges are made from the strapping and not separate

that could be a little tedious... and of course that awesome then key latch! dying to find that, or maybe have some 3D print and cast it in resin

After a trip to my local Lowes for a parts hunt, here is what I came up with using:

Found some 1.5" wide by 1/16" thick aluminum bar. This will be easy to Dremil the ends to the right point, bend for corners, and drill. I got some basic hinges I may attach on the back to the bar. If that does not look good in a dry run, I will split the aluminum bar and use round stock to create the hinges.

I will use some 3/8" x 1" carriage bolts to simulate the heavy rivets, bang the heads up "while listening to Quit Riot" haha. I will probably have to cut these down, and countersink the nut, but I counted 33 total. Could also use epoxy putty and make a rounded rivet head inside over the nut..... One picture of the inside back wood shows a rounded head.

I will use some aluminum plate to create the locking latch cover (riveted on)

For the side handles, I found some towel holders (little u shaped wall mounts) I can bend together, and thing the mounting plate for the side to hold the ring, rivet to bar stock and smooth with metal epoxy if needed. I can also use some of the round aluminum bar bent into shape for the handles (though I doubt it will be strong enough to carry by)

Perform a pre-assembly paint, then touch up and age.

As for the wood, pallet wood looks the part except for being so darn thin. In these pictures, the wood looks at least 1/2 - 3/4" thick. Most pallet wood is 1/4"

I cannot find anything that is close to the lock retainer on the front. I don't think it is a key. I believe it is intended to have a thousand year old padlock applied.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Continuing to study this, I think it is made with 2x6" even more. Looking at the front, it looks like 2 boards, the first has 2 dovetails, the second looks ripped down a few inches with 1 dovetail (The back appears reversed). The bottom may be made from pallet wood, the top as well, and looks filled with the indention's. Top is 2 pieces also, one large, one smaller in width.

I think it is probably a prop from some old pirate movie, arrrrr!

Last edited:
Oak is also a common pallet wood, so don't rule it out. It almost looks like they just 'reclaimed' the wood from a pallet and knocked it together. Then burned the wood to stress/age it before staining and waxing.

The second picture shows one of the hinges. I have looked all over the net for more pics and just cant find anything else.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back