Crackerjazz' Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon

crackerjazz

Sr Member
Hi, guys, I've been following your builds very closely. Wanted to join the group build but then I wanted to document my build a bit easier so I decided to start another thread. Here's my progress from the past 3 weeks so far:

After seeing Jaitea's thinned canopy I just had to thin mine as well:

pYa1PFy.jpg

YhXwoN6.jpg

xIoATKB.jpg

LR17n5u.jpg

But then after I saw his beautiful glassed canopy, I wanted to take a stab at it, too. Maybe I'll try it later on. Sorry, John, but your work is just infectious. What I have qualms about trying, though, is lowering the raised detailing on the cockpit tunnel. I still couldn't figure out how you guys managed to accomplish that. Crazy skills you guys have!

Pre-shaded parts with black:

QHUxheA.jpg

awXt77i.jpg

oCEIU6D.jpg

rqNK9Y8.jpg

dDcZSr7.jpg

4rOQ6wd.jpg

TnLq6ev.jpg

GnRNSF4.jpg

HQ7iYri.jpg

ChZZcBG.jpg

And shot with the Floquil mix:

YW7foPr.jpg

shxJoCF.jpg

0qbzvvf.jpg

MvJM7l5.jpg

ESvVHx6.jpg

D4buBKu.jpg

WAe29fY.jpg

nyMbrLJ.jpg

JMGwBkY.jpg

Pre-shading the hull with black:

JdxNcZV.jpg

yonxbks.jpg

scJ5i6u.jpg

KvnooH9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon - an even slower build

"Even slower build"? You wanna bet? :lol
That's already faster then me pal, looking good and welcome to the club :thumbsup

Digging the way you pre-shaded the hull.
I'm gonna do mine that way now.

That's looking fantastic. The thinned down cockpit is night and day, looks beautiful.

You know I'm gonna have to do that now on my TFA Falcon,.....I did do some twisting on my ANH Falcon,....but while you used your fancy pliers i used my grubby teeth:D

images

IMG_3400_zpsijuw4ne6.jpg

J

Love the way this is coming along.
Especially your painting technique, crackerjazz.
Wish I'd thought of pre-shading the parts before I cut them off the sprue...

That is looking really awesome, love the crumpled edges like on the studio models!! That kit is INSANELY detailed for something so small!!! what is it like 9" long total???

Looks terrific so far! What was your technique to pre-shade the hull and engine detail? It looks like a really sooty wash that you wiped away. Or was that paint?

Hey, sqbiedoo, Jaitea, thanks! Jaitea, I thought you were kidding! :) Axlotl thanks I've never done it this way either --- first time for me and I guess it makes sense because it'll be difficult to keep track of tiny loose parts. Hi Ktaylor -- yeah it's about 9.5 inches, just about an inch longer than the Finemolds but the difference it makes to the overall hull size is quite considerable. Hi, Hunk a Junk -- for the hull and engine deck what happened was that I had pre-shaded it (black Humbrol enamel) and after it dried scrubbed away the excess with mineral spirits on a piece of cloth. I then sprayed on Floquil 50-50 but wasn't too happy with the color because it was too much on the yellow side so I scrubbed all the Floquil off. I've been experimenting on a very thin Floquil 50-50 wash which you can see in some ares -- it looks very subtle in the photos, though. I'm also planning to decant some Tamiya AS-20 and apply it by airbrush -- because it will be difficult to apply straight from the can and make the pre-shaded details show clearly. Another route would be to just fully cover everything with the AS-20 and use a black wash to accentuate the details --- I can see some of you guys are good at this but I've tried it before on my Finemolds and I'm just terrible at it, especially in tighter spots and deeper crevices.

I was going to go with the whole AS-20 thing on my falcon but I didn't realize that it was a rattle can. My plan is to prime in black and then airbrush with the basecoat. I don't think that a rattlecan will provide the control that I need. Maybe I can spray it into a bottle and then use that in the airbrush.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back