Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    19 Hours Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 11:05 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2376

Fly4v said: View Post
    This sucks, I think we should do the..... Scooby Doo.... ending.

Even as a kid, I never bought the happy ending.
    There would be such a vacuum after the fall of the Empire. The Galaxy wouldn't be a happy place.
    Some Imperial governors would retain power. Some system may even want to retain Imperial systems just for stability.
    The Hutts would maintain and expand. New criminal elements would rise.
    Trade and shipping routes threatened without the protection of the Imperial Navy or policing from the old Republic's Jedi.
    There would be disease, famine and suffering until a new central government was reestablished.
    The rebel alliance would splinter as factions jockey for power.

Just look at our history here on Earth, the wake of a revolution is never pleasant now consider that on a galactic scale.
    Or we defeated NAZI Germany and Imperial Japan and that was the end of those evil entities forever.
    Star Wars is a mashup of many things, one of which is fairy tale. The OT characters were put through the wringer,
    they can have happily ever after and in my mind they surely did. Maybe if they had left the OT characters out of JJ Wars but honestly
    Not-Vader and Not-Emperor and Not-Empire and Not-Death Star and Not-Rebellion, etc etc etc was a remake retread and horribly unoriginal for me.
    I look forward eagerly to the fresh start trilogy.
    Last edited by CessnaDriver; 7 Hours Ago at 10:42 AM.
    From
    Michigan
    8 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:58 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2377

CessnaDriver said: View Post
    ...Maybe if they had left the OT characters out of JJ Wars but honestly
    Not-Vader and Not-Emperor and Not-Empire and Not-Death Star and Not-Rebellion, etc etc etc was a remake retread and horribly unoriginal for me.
    Agreed. Before the details of TFA started leaking, I hoped against hope that we were going to get that clean sheet of paper; a new tale from the other side of the galaxy. To its credit, TFA made me laugh - and cry - and Star Wars felt like Star Wars (for the most part), and I was a happy man(-child).

If TLJ is any better at all (read: darker, and a bit more original and down-to-business), oh boy. And to see how Mark Hamill has embraced this revival has been wonderful to watch. What a great guy and wonderful spokesperson for the franchise.

But yeah, tough as it will be now when it does finally happen, totally ready for something new.
    From
    Chicago
    4 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 2:27 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2378

Or we defeated NAZI Germany and Imperial Japan and that was the end of those evil entities forever.
    Star Wars is a mashup of many things, one of which is fairy tale. The OT characters were put through the wringer,
    they can have happily ever after and in my mind they surely did. Maybe if they had left the OT characters out of JJ Wars but honestly
    Except it wasn't the end. We then had allies turn enemies as the Soviet Union spread across Asia and Europe, plunging the world into a Cold War that peaked numerous times into real full fledged wars. Then, the Nazis returned, and the United States Constitution tied the hands of its own country as Nazis marched and murdered down the street with no legal repercussions available to solve the problem as a whole.
  4. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    3 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 3:19 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2379

CT1138 said: View Post
    Except it wasn't the end. We then had allies turn enemies as the Soviet Union spread across Asia and Europe, plunging the world into a Cold War that peaked numerous times into real full fledged wars. Then, the Nazis returned, and the United States Constitution tied the hands of its own country as Nazis marched and murdered down the street with no legal repercussions available to solve the problem as a whole.
    Eh, I would not give them that much credit. Tiki torch carrying kooks that crawl out from under a rock once in a blue moon does not make for the rise of the fourth riech.
    Also no wars after WWII were an existential question for the western world like WWII was. The cold war never went full tilt boogie nuclear exchange, when there was fighting it was small proxy wars, and the Soviets fell.

I'm not looking for deep comparisons to real life in SW fantasy films anyways that was meant to be mythical mashups and create some joy
    in the old serial style Lucas was shooting for.

TFA rips down the fairy tale ending of ROTJ because they wanted to do a remake with the OT characters to make it more a safe box office bet.
    Nostalgia!
    They couldn't leave them be,
    and they had to resurrect the defeated Empire to be the bad guys again because they were creatively bankrupt to come up with
    anything that would be as much a threat. Visually of course it made for a safe bet to keep the name brand familiar to consumers.
    It's just so painfully weak sauce to me.

TFA if we must compare, would be like if the WWII German forces literally went into hiding and attacked from the moon like that movie.

The first film ended super happy, Lucas had no idea anything would come next at all. So he ended SW77 with that fairy tale ending.
    Once it was a huge hit, he repeated this at the end of the trilogy to button things up in the spirt of what the OT was channeling in all
    those serials, myths and fairy tales.
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    2 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2380

There are a number of times when the Cold War came within minutes of going full-on hot. The fact that WW3 didn't happen in this universe does not exactly make it an implausible premise.

As for the First Order, I don't know that it needed to look so different from the Empire. Compare the Nazis to the post-WWII Soviets. Take some documentary footage from daily life in those two militaries. Would they seem very different to an observer from 500 or 1000 years ago? The First Order is another military doing the same job as the Empire, at the same time & place, using the same tech.
    Last edited by batguy; 2 Hours Ago at 4:20 PM.
    2 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 4:21 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2381

Yes, the Allied forces defeated fascism and while the horrid idea remains as a fringe today. The remnants of that evil are not relevant for discussion.

But, the Axis never controlled the world as the Empire controlled the galaxy. The old Republic was wiped out and replaced by the Empire.
    To find a similar example, please consider a micro example from the aftermath from WW2.

The Wiemar Republic was replaced by Nazi German. Nazi German was then defeated by the Allies.
    Life in West Germany immediately after the war was not good. Things for West Berlin were bad and even worse for Eastern Germany.
    Western Germany didn't recover until the 1960 and Eastern Germany never really did until after reunification.

I agree that the characters from Star Wars and veterans in general deserve a peaceful and happy life after surviving a conflict. When Star Wars is viewed with a basis of reality and not fantasy, reality doesn't like to conform to modern mythology of happy endings.

For those that are more literally inclined, please assist, but I don't think there ever was a happy ending in any Shakespearean or Grecian story.
    Let us even consider the likes of King Arthur, magical sword, adulterous queen, bastard son with your half sister. That is just grim.

Plus happy and bright worlds in Star Wars only exist in the prequels.
    Alderaan may have been as nice as Naboo but we will never know if restricted to the OT. From the OT, we see that nice things don't last long in the Star Wars universe.

Bespin didn't last long either and that is assuming it is pleasant for all.... Which requires ignoring the Marvel comic when ugnaughts felt subjugated, sabotaged Lobot and Cloud City was abandoned.

I wish I could reset my Star Wars clock to 1977. The same way I ignore Crystal Skull but I can't.

I do know, that I too want a story far away from the Brady Bunch in Space that is the Skywalkers.
  7. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    1 Hour Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 5:21 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #2382

Fly4v said: View Post

I do know, that I too want a story far away from the Brady Bunch in Space that is the Skywalkers.

Agreed there.