Metal 300 King Leonidas Helmet Build

GoldPointProps

hello! I am going to be building a metal replica of king Leonidas's helmet from 300 after I finish up my metal iron man helmet. I will be using 18 gauge sheet steel. I looked into making it out of bronze but a sheet the size needed to make the helmet was $1500 so ill just stick with steel. this is just a test I used a pick hammer to add all the hammer marks and hammered the face of the helmet on the concrete to add all the little pits/texture. For just a quick test it turned out pretty good. Also I will be making a video of the build and posting it here too.

helmet test  (1).JPG

helmet test  (2).JPG

helmet test  (3).JPG

helmet test  (4).JPG

Very cool! I have practised functional and historical armouring and am excited to see your progress! I'm not sure of your experience or intention with forming the shape, but the texturing looks good so far :) It is not easy to weather steel to make it seem random and natural. One other thing you may be interested in trying is using a welder to get splatter all over the face of an old hammer, grind it a little, and use that to texture. Concrete with coarse sand sprinkled here and there does a good job too. Cheers!

Very cool! I have practised functional and historical armouring and am excited to see your progress! I'm not sure of your experience or intention with forming the shape, but the texturing looks good so far :) It is not easy to weather steel to make it seem random and natural. One other thing you may be interested in trying is using a welder to get splatter all over the face of an old hammer, grind it a little, and use that to texture. Concrete with coarse sand sprinkled here and there does a good job too. Cheers!
thank you!! I'm good with forming the shape if you check out some of my previous builds you'll see =)
http://www.therpf.com/f78/metal-mk-42-iron-man-helmet-build-234209/
http://www.therpf.com/f79/metal-starwars-episode-7-stormtrooper-helmet-224852/
that hammer trick is a good idea I'll give it a go and see what the results are. Thanks for tip

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back