What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Oh god i dont have the time to take pics at the moment but here we go, (top priority) esb boba fett life size display, r2d2,r2q5 ,bb8 ,just ordered the dome for a first order styled bb8, Han in carbonite, jango fett display, yoda and a jawa, haha... im new to the rpf but definetly plan on posting some of these when i get a chance

A heap of fun, but crappy weather right now, so not even worth breaking the seals on any of this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Barnes Products.jpg
    Barnes Products.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,159

I am working on a "light box" for a light house to give the impression that there is a revolving light, using LED strips for an eight sided Light House.
This is a small mock up showing proof of concept:
Only 3 sides are shown.

There is estimated to be 30 white LED strips per side on the "real deal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuq_rgWd6E

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the basic circuit for each of the 8 panels for the Light House Light Box (2 are shown here).
It is designed to fold in half to fit in a small, water tight box. Old school tech.
One of these circuits will drive 10 - 7' LED strips:

light house circuit small.jpg

Last edited:

You could use Neopixels and an Arduino as well. Not sure of the cost difference although less circuitry involved! :)

Thanks for the advice ^ .
I've used both Arduino and the Parallax BS2 and preferred to use the BS2's.
I bought several of the BS2 awhile back to keep the price down and I like the ease of programming of the microcontoller.
I don't know much about the coding for Arduino and I needed the 16 outputs of the BS2 and most of the memory.
The caps are for a slow fade off while driving MOSFETs. The LED strips will be 7' long and 24volts.
There is estimated to be 240 strips in the project. Doing this with one main controller would of course
work, but having all my eggs in one basket would shut the entire thing down instead of just a small portion.
In case of repair, it would be limited to one panel instead of all 8.
A bit of the old school technology where circuit design and layout is key and half the enjoyment.
Anyway, I like doing things the hard way (time consuming and laborious), it's in my nature :).
It keeps me busy in my old age.

Last edited:

Witnessed!! do have a build thread??

No I don't, I've been taking a few pictures here and there but have been to lazy to do much of anything when I get home from my studio... brutally hot here! At some point I want to make one once I get caught up on a few commissions.

100_1066.JPG

This is the finished back of a DS9 PADD with an insert for a isolinear chip. The material is grey PVC hardfoam and the size 9" x 6". The decals are cut and attached by hand. The front and middle part are in progress.

Dietrich

image.jpeg

Here's what I have, putting the finishing touches on my Valkyrie Prop's Particle Rifle II as well as touching up my Stapleton Boomerang phaser before installing the electronics.

Failed the paint job on my Tintin "Destination Moon" rocket ship. So restarting it.

Step 1. Scrub hard with sandpaper, try not to destroy model.

01.jpg

Step 2. Surface needs rebuilding. So, slather with wood filler.

02.jpg

Step 3. Sand. Sand. Sand. Then repeat.

03.jpg

Step 4. First coat of spray primer.

04.jpg

Next: more filling, surfacing, then another round of primer. Then red paint, then hours of masking the roll pattern, then white paint, then gloss.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back