What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Testing paint colours on my Tintin Destination Moon rocket.

Made with Foamed PVC for the skeleton, filled with XPS foam, carved, sanded.

Problem: even after sealing with several layers of Gesso, and several layers of acrylic painting, the underlying XPS foam still reacts (i.e. disintegrates) when spray paint is applied. So I'm having to paint it by hand, using sponged-on acrylics.

Another curiosity: this was made from the plans in the book. But, those plans create a rocket that is thinner than that shown in the classic illustrations. Also, the plans are not symmetrical. (The pods are warped.)

So if I can get a paint job that works, I plan on making a larger model, with a fatter body, to resemble more closely the illustrations, instead of the plans.

IMG_1169.jpg

I want to make the nuka cola keyrings in Fallout 4. So I did a quick test with Smooth-On 325, Ignite blue pigment, and Glow Worm glow in the dark powder to see how it turns out. That is the blue layer. I have both colors of glow in the dark powder, so that is why there is also a green layer. I do not want to use gray paint for the cap because paint will wear off, so part of the test was pouring multiple layers and colors. Somewhere, somehow water got into the mix for the gray and it foamed up. Not too shabby though. And I might finally have justification for a pressure pot.
Test 2.jpgTest 1.jpg

2de145596319ff53637062cfa459c34b.jpg

I've got this and a pulse rifle going right now. Using it as a project to play with my raspberry pi and learn some coding. Got a Jobo Minilux coming this week. Just need that darn shutter release...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countdown timer for Escape Rooms

I've been commissioned to create and build a countdown timer for an Escape Room Scenario where the players
cut wires to disarm the device (or not).

There are 6 active wires . 1 will disarm it, another will cause it to "activate" and the rest will cause it to speed up (giving them less time to disarm it).
They are going to tie it in with the "experience" to set off an explosion (if they are wrong) or sound a fan fair announcement if they are correct.

An Escape Room experience usually takes about 60 minutes.

No telling when they will locate the device or how much time they will have left to deactivate it!

HERO prop.jpg

propmaster2000

Last edited:

I just wrapped a big project (LINK) so now I've been spending the last week digging the fun stuff out of all of the corners of my shop. So far I've unearthed my Flametrooper work-in-progress:

My Phasma armor:

And the slowly-progressing snowtrooper:

And on the "not Star Wars" front, I've gotten a start on this little guy:

Last edited:

I was inspired by torsoboy's Nuka Cola Blaster thread, and decided to make my own copy. I don't have a lathe, or the skill to use one, like he does... but I do have Blender and a 3D printer, so I sat down Friday night and started modeling.

Blender-Screenshot.png

Forgot to print the screw heads, whoops, but the rest of it just finished printing a few minutes ago.

20160529_202357.jpg20160529_202647.jpg

Time to smooth, paint, and cement.

HOLY ******, that´s some seriously detailed machining...wonderful to look at.
What is it for? Looks like some kind of "finger" for a robotic device...

Are you accepting commissions ;)?

Not a prop as such, but I'm almost finished restoring a vintage Atlas metal lathe. First job will be to turn the moire bezel and antenna hinge discs for my scratchbuilt TOS communicator.

101_3130.jpg101_3129.jpg0711151127-00.jpg101_3132.jpg

Just finished up a foam LARP mask puprhino3.jpg and now have Project: Leona 's shield from league of Legends underway Project Leona's shield 5.jpg as well as some other random mask sculpts, and Ashbringer (about 80% done) Ashbringer 21.jpg

Too many things!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back