Show your custom Lightsabers!

Like before, I saved the best for last. Not only the final write-up in this post, and possibly my final contribution to this thread before I move onto doing blasters, but my official entry in the unofficial Graflite challenge. For those unaware, I believe it was a challenge set forth by our @SethS , where the only rule is take the Graflite flash and do something interesting with it and, hopefully, I managed that.

I present to you, the Graflite Staff-Saber/Twin-bladed saber/Double-bladed saber...whatever it's called these days.

IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5372.JPG IMG_5338.JPG IMG_5351.JPG

Continuing and finishing with the idea of doubling my saber-smithing fun, I thought that one of the acolytes following one of my baddies around should have a double-bladed saber. Why not? I've doubled everything else (and also I got these two for a steal). Obviously inspired by Darth Maul's weapon of choice but after seeing @manooga post his "May the 4th" photo and having a visual reference of its size (the size of two Luke V2's end to end), I wanted to make mine just a bit longer so it was easier to not just wield and play with, but was more satisfying overall...

...It sits at about 22 inches long...

Unfortunately, I wish I could say I mocked this up in no time but I really struggled with figuring out the final look of this thing and really took my time going through, piecing this thing together, bit by bit. Before Manooga's photo, this thing sat on my workbench for a good while as I went back and forth on how big the saber ought to be. After the photo, I just breezed through it once I set my mind on how big it was gonna be. So, many thanks, Manooga!

IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5336.JPG IMG_5335.JPG IMG_5345.JPG

Oddly enough, this thing, in one way or another, managed to incorporate all the techniques that I applied to the other hilts I made early on in this thread. There's a little bit of all my lighsabers in this on top of the other influences going on here: Boba Fett, Obi-wan, Darth Maul, and @Panaflex and SethS for their Graflite Challenge entries.

IMG_5332.JPG IMG_5328.JPG IMG_5329.JPG IMG_5331.JPG

Here's the break-down: Graflites and pvc pipes cut to bits, pvc bits bound in wads of gaffer tape before sliding Graflite chunks over it with epoxy; T-tracks cut and laid inside of Graflite to make "heatsinks"; fill with resin; larger pvc pipe attached to that with T-track stuck on top of that with CA glue, leaving a small section of pipe exposed; more gaffer applied to exposed pipe to lay threaded ends of Graflites on top of, with added epoxy, remembering to alternate the Graflite sections, because they're two different finishes, to create an interesting contrast; assembled emitters out of washers and some thread cap carried over from the first group of sabers built, all held together with CA glue, wrapping around a threaded rod which is then fixed to some aluminium curtain hangers with holes drilled at the bottom; fill the insides of pvc piping with resin before adding the emitters on the end to create a completely solid lock. Add greeblies (dials are from the Canon flash units' reflector attachment) and various screws to keep it all sturdy; no measuring to keep that OT-sloppy-workshop finish, before finishing with some black acrylic paint in the threads.

Then step back and admire.

All that work and you'll be stupefied as I to know that not only will you get a kick-ass looking lightsaber, that's fun and easy to swing around and play with, but it is extremely well balanced.

IMG_5368.JPG

Hot damn, am I proud of this ugly *******.

And here it is with the others in this set.

IMG_5366.JPG

Now, I must sleep; I've spent way too much time editing this ******** post.

Last edited:
I've got a few. :)

Clockwise from the top: Random Sabers (the Killswitch, 3W LED and can take a blade), resin Mace Windu I bought from someone here about forever ago, Random Sabers (Augus Mac, made for my son, can take a blade), Ancient Parksabers Obi-Wan from the early 1990's, RLSA Saber, Russ Luke V2, ESB Luke made from parts of a real Graphlex (bought from Parksabers in the early 1990's), Random Sabers (Altheir, made with a knuckle guard because my son is a sneaky duelist, can take a blade).
20160517_093326.jpg

Video of most of them found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatwazoo42

Last edited:
@PoopaPapaPalps Those are kickass! I love the Canon sabers-- would love to know how you "made" the lower halves work! My hat is off to you on the Graflite(s)-- would have never have thought to work them up into a double saber. Supercool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Graflite double blade is great!

I have a few ideas, but I REFUSE to pay more than 10 bucks for a graflite, ha.

I paid 10 for my holiday saber, and that seemed JUST about right price for that monstrosity. Ebay can bite me.

@PoopaPapaPalps Those are kickass! I love the Canon sabers-- would love to know how you "made" the lower halves work! My hat is off to you on the Graflite(s)-- would have never have thought to work them up into a double saber. Supercool!

Oh, Seth, the full tale of my trials with the Canons would be best told around a camp fire. The gist of it however is that I cut notches, not too dissimilar to the cuts made in a Graflex lower, and bent the metal inward before hammering it into the Canon body. That accounts for all the out of place screws and rivets on the Canon upper; they're all there to keep the thing together. On the ESB variant, the extra rivets on the bottom actually hold the endcap on the body, but to keep a visual symmetry, I gave the ANH a rivet at the endcap bottom too.

Graflite double blade is great!

I have a few ideas, but I REFUSE to pay more than 10 bucks for a graflite, ha.

I paid 10 for my holiday saber, and that seemed JUST about right price for that monstrosity. Ebay can bite me.

:lol I wasn't so fortunate to get the Graflites for less than 10 bucks. If I recall, it was 40 with shipping included but that was before this whole flash business took off.

That is an impressive response to the Unofficial Graflite Challenge, Palps! I'm not usually a fan of double-bladed sabers, but that rocks and I'm doubting anyone will top it. :thumbsup

It's always good to see more CanonSabers, too. They have the OT style that I like to see.

You might have gotten me inspired to get back into the workshop. There's a Busch and Heiland sitting there waiting on me.

I love Kylo Ren. I wasn't sure if I would-- but I do. Despite it being a bit gimmicky, I also love the idea of a crossguard lightsaber. What I didn't love though, was the hilt design. Everything else was so OT in TFA that I feel like it should have been a flash handle.

In fact-- I saw an auction for the 3 reflector Heiland (you know the one) and I was going to do my version of what I thought Kylo should have. But alas, I lost out on the auction.

But I had this other idea the other day as the kid was watching TFA for the 6543212345th time. What if Kylo Ren had somehow managed to recover Vader's lightsaber? Maybe there was a spare back on Coursecant or something. (Cause I like to think the ROTJ stunt was actually a different saber from the ESB).

So if Kylo Ren had an old saber of Vader's, but took it apart, and rebuilt it to his needs... maybe it would look like this:

NuV1.jpg

NuV2.jpg
NuV3.jpg
NuV4.jpg
NuV5.jpg

No joke, Seth...I'm currently working on a Vader-style Heiland custom and it isn't too far off from what you just built! Now I can't wait to finish it. :thumbsup

I bet YOUR grips will be even and straight! I've been terrified to use the grips you made for me cause I can NEVER get grips of any sort on evenly/straight. :)

Hey NeoRutty! Have you tried the cross guard saber heads flipped 180*?

I think it would protect the person wielding it from the blades a bit more with the "open ends" facing the opponent.

One way or the other the thing looks CRAZY!!!

Nothing is finalized yet... gonna rivet the the tracks on (one in the same place at the bottom as the TFA, and one an inch from the top)

The only reason it's like that with the cross guards in the ears look a little weird pointed back.

But when I finally get around to finishing this, they will always be able to be moved around as there's just a set screw keeping them on.

And thanks! A lot of help from roygilsing for the 3D printed guard holder and longer t-tracks made this weird idea really work.

Neo that thing is awesome! I was wondering what you were using the extensions for. That would have been awesome in the TFA! I am going to update my will and leave this thread my box of flashes and saber parts.

This is one of my favorite threads, the only custom sabers I am working on are two Kalarts and they are for my 4 and 7 year old niece. I will post pics when we finish building.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back