Dragon Age Enchanted Dagger WIP ***UPDATED 1.27.15***

daenarahd

Hi everyone! When Dragon Inquisition came out I was super excited because I am a huge fan of the series, but before I went out and got it I wanted to play through the first games again. I am a huge fan of bioware and currently have a M3 Predator (Mass Effect) that I built out of EVA foam, so I thought that I should have something from the Dragon age franchise. So when playing through origins this dagger caught my eye and I instantly knew that this was the one I wanted! And playing as a dual-wield warrior, I of course want a set!

So I started by taking a lot of screenshots from the game:
DA Sword origins (2).jpg DA Sword origins (5).jpg DA Sword origins (8).jpg DA Sword origins (25).jpg DA Sword origins (28).jpg

Then the lovely novacat17 offered to help me out by making a vector after I asked for some help on getting started on this thread, after that I printed it out and traced it out onto a piece of plexiglass and then cut it out with a saber saw. (sorry for the pictures, all I had is my phone)
034.JPG 035.JPG 038.JPG

Then after they were cut out i began sculpting the blade portion with apoxie sculpt. First by slapping it on the plexiglass and smoothing it out, and then adding details. (Sidenote I have never used apoxie sculpt before, but I am now in love with it and will definitely buy more!)
044.JPG 045.JPG

It has been super fun working on this build so far, and I still have a lot to do before it is even close to being ready to cast and painted. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me get this far. This is far from done but there will be more to come! :)

-Daenarah

DA Sword origins (2).jpg

DA Sword origins (5).jpg

DA Sword origins (8).jpg

DA Sword origins (25).jpg

DA Sword origins (28).jpg

034.JPG

035.JPG

038.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dragon Age Enchanted Dagger WIP

Awesome progress and thanks for the nod. Im glad to see the apoxy sculpt is working out. You were not kidding about sculpting well; it puts my apoxy sculpt stuff to shame :$

How is the apoxy sculpt adhering to the plexi? Did you have to sand it before or does it just stick well? I have used it on styrene, but not plexi.

Also, I was wondering if you were going to sculpt the "gem" on the hilt separately. If you plan on doing a cast, then maybe you could do a separate pour for the gem in a clear (or amber) resin. Throw some aluminum tape on the back to get it reflective and it might give a better gem.

Subbed to keep on eye on the progress. Loving it so far!

Awesome progress and thanks for the nod. Im glad to see the apoxy sculpt is working out. You were not kidding about sculpting well; it puts my apoxy sculpt stuff to shame :$

How is the apoxy sculpt adhering to the plexi? Did you have to sand it before or does it just stick well? I have used it on styrene, but not plexi.

Also, I was wondering if you were going to sculpt the "gem" on the hilt separately. If you plan on doing a cast, then maybe you could do a separate pour for the gem in a clear (or amber) resin. Throw some aluminum tape on the back to get it reflective and it might give a better gem.

Subbed to keep on eye on the progress. Loving it so far!

Thank You! :$

I thought I would need to sand the plexi down so i tested it on a little piece that I had lying around, and it stuck really well! I guess the adhesive in the clay is strong enough to stick to most things.

Yeah, I am planing to sculpt the "gems" separately, but I was thinking of dyeing some transparent polymer clay just because I have some and might as well use it! But if they don't turn out well I will definitely pour them!

-Daenarah

Hello again everybody! School got really busy this semester (though that is what I get for taking 18 credit hours), but I digress.
Here is what I got done since the last update!

The first thing I did was to sculpt on the grip.

010.JPG

Then after that dried for 24 hours I sculpted on the Pommel.

013 (2).JPG 014 (2).JPG

Then there was some unevenness in the blade so I went through with wood fill and evened that up.

015.JPG

Then I went through with sandpaper, patching plaster, and wood fill to fix whatever I didn't like.

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

so hopefully its ready for priming and then casting. I unfortunately wont be purchasing any casting materials in the near future because I don't want it to freeze, and I have a less than reliable mail man who has been known to deliver the mail at 8pm only for us to find it the next morning.

Thanks for looking! Im super excited for when this will be done, and I have learned a lot while doing it!

- Daenarah :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back