DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Re: DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

It seems like there are basically two camps here: Screen Accuracy Production Blaster, and Idealized SW Universe Blaster.

If you do offer Derlin, can you just make that the "no knurled" option and make the metal the knurled option? It seems like that might take care of a lot of needs here.

As far as answering the questions at hand, I will let those with more passion take the lead.

DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

1. No step
2. I'm going to say one band of knurling based on the discussion and pics here.
Although all these years I've seen it as a two band wide/narrow so I would still be in if the run went that way.
2a. I would most definitely want it done in aluminum.

Edit:
Several people are voting Hoth or bespin... I thought we were looking at the "hoth" flash hider.
The hoth and bespin each have different details. I would want a three band bespin flash hider in aluminum as well as the hoth one band I mentioned above.

Last edited:

I want to do both a Han Hoth and a Han bespin.

I am with Boba, I think the Hoth hider was black plastic, and that's what I would vote for. I am divided on the bands though. I do not want screen accurate bands, that looks like crap to me. It looks like a badly done rush job.

But what did they intend? In looking at all the ESB blasters, both the Han and Luke's have 3 small bands. Could this have been what they were after with the Hoth, and it got messed up? Why do 2 different styles?

Or I wonder, were they trying to emulate the stunt, which had one large band?

Last edited:

I think they are supposed to look like the same as Han's flash hider in ANH ... well enough for the few seconds that each prop is seen on the screen, projected from a nth generation 35 mm print. Otherwise it is each individual fan's retconned interpretation.

I like the Bespin but I'd like a Hoth. Just thought I'd put this pic up of the Bespin that I weathered with some al black. Probably needs a bit more steel wooling off. Why do we always want what we don't have? ;-)
image.jpgI

It seems like there are basically two camps here: Screen Accuracy Production Blaster, and Idealized SW Universe Blaster.

If you do offer Derlin, can you just make that the "no knurled" option and make the metal the knurled option? It seems like that might take care of a lot of needs here.

As far as answering the questions at hand, I will let those with more passion take the lead.

I agree with the above if its possible ? .. and ill be going AL :)

I think the original Hoth flash hider was black resin painted silver.

Some are talking about Delrin but anodizing the flash hider black and then painting it silver will produce the same effect.

The point about doing a black resin/derlin/plastic Hoth flash hider is doing it without the knurling which can be painted/drawn/decal'd on later.

I think the original Hoth flash hider was black resin painted silver.

Some are talking about Delrin but anodizing the flash hider black and then painting it silver will produce the same effect.

The point about doing a black resin/derlin/plastic Hoth flash hider is doing it without the knurling which can be painted/drawn/decal'd on later.

Yes, I know.

The base material is irrelevant since you would be painting silver over black and them painting the knurling on.

I can envision offering 3 versions all made from aluminum anodized in black

1. Conventional 2 band version

2. Single Band version

3. No knurling

I like the Bespin but I'd like a Hoth. Just thought I'd put this pic up of the Bespin that I weathered with some al black. Probably needs a bit more steel wooling off. Why do we always want what we don't have? ;-)
View attachment 415244I

Nice job bud weathering. That's the Hoth or Han Solo generic interpretation based on the Hoth. Seems like because of MR everyone thinks his Blaster always had the cone shape, rather than just like Luke's for the Bespin (rest of the film. Don't forget space slug scene) version he actually used.

What I meant was the whole point is making it as accurate as possible ;)

Yes, I know.

The base material is irrelevant since you would be painting silver over black and them painting the knurling on.

2. Single Band version

3. No knurling

What I meant was the whole point is making it as accurate as possible ;)

I can understand that but there is no way to prove that the flash hider was machined from black Delrin,but it's pretty unlikely

It is more likely that is was cast in black resin..

Yes, I know.

2. Single Band version

3. No knurling

Holy crap! Now I need three!!:cry:facepalm:lol

You're Dave-il:devil

Regards,

Alberto

I need some better input on my Hoth Flash Hider concept

In this picture you can see what looks like silver paint over a black base

My theory is that they this was cast in black resin and painted silver.

Does that sound plausible from what we know about these prop makers?

DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

That's possible. However if this is a found item such as a gun part or machinery part, it could be black, or dark gray and metal. I know that a lot of people think this is a made item, and it could be. However I have been here long enough to know that such items in the past believed to be scratch built are discovered to be found items. Therefore I cannot rule it out. But I would say it appears to be silver paint over a dark surface area.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back