Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

More little parts for T-51. More to follow......…

More little parts.jpg

Last edited:

Alright, it's time for this project to start moving!

I've completed a rather beefy print that I promised for my buddy Murdoch. With that done, it's now time to get the main shell to the T-51b helmet printed!!!

I know it's not much to look at, but I have actually started. I have the bottom rim done, this part may not look like much but took over 24 hours to print (with support material). It's funny, it kinda looks like a toilet seat. :lol

Bottom Rim.jpg

I was able to use a few near depleted rolls of filament to get this printed out. I have ordered more rolls of filament with some Xmas cash, so I expect to have the rest printed out soon. I'll keep everybody posted on the progress, stay tuned...........

Last edited:

Next part to the T51b helmet printed. Very pleased with the print. :)

t51 pt2.jpg

The third and final print to the main shell looks to be a very, very long print. If all goes the way I've set it up, the main shell will be printed in just three parts. More progress coming, stay tuned..........

Last edited:

Wow! I am an ignoramus when it comes to 3D printing; how do you come up with the models of the helmets? I am guessing you do them on some program similar to Photoshop? I am seriously considering investing in a printer soon, and seeing this post gave me another boot in the arse.

............how do you come up with the models of the helmets?................

With the helmet models that Cassius is modeling, as well as the weapon models that I'm modeling (coming to another thread soon ;)), we're both using the original game meshes as a base. They are quite low poly, much like a pepakura file, but they serve as the best base in my opinion for making these models as accurate as they possibly can be. Of course, there is a ton of engineering, fitting parts and such. I was very impressed with how Cassius worked out the optics bracket on the sides of the helmet.

One of the biggest challenges is the details that need to be added in. A lot of details on these models are in the game model texture, and not actually defined in the mesh. Basically, the details are "painted on" so to speak. Obviously, said details need to be added in.

Oh and both Cassius and I are both using Blender as our 3d software. He was a key component in me learning to use this program, at first explaining to me the very basic functions like how to actually pan around the model and such.

If you were ever to try and venture into the realm of modeling and 3d printing, I'd say you can't go wrong with Blender. And it's free!

Cassius is almost done with this beauty :love.

T-45d render.png

And now he's starting on this one. :devil

enclave01.png

And this week I plan to print the last part to the T-51b main shell. Estimated 58 hour print! Stay tuned...............

Last edited:

Ahhh man I want to see how this progresses

Thanks! :)

I was hoping to have the rest of the first helmet printed up by now, but I've been having difficulty with trying to print it in such a big piece. While my printer volume has plenty of space, the computer or the host software keeps whacking out. I may just have to succumb to cutting it in half............

Anyhow, I got a full roll waiting to print, just gotta get the problem sorted out. More to come soon, though. ;)

Alright, update time. Finally got some problems worked out, and printing resumes!

Quite a filament buster this last cut was, mostly due to so much support material, but it was worth it to keep the visor area so clean in my opinion. So far, the main shell alone almost represents a whole week of printing collectively. :eek

t51 1.jpg

t51 2.jpg

T51 details.jpg

T51 details 2.jpg

Still more to go, but it's coming along. I'm hoping to have it all printed out by the end of the week, and go right on to printing the next one after that.

Last edited:

Dude, that's pretty sweet. Are you planning on doing the whole armor set or just the helmet?

Dude, that's pretty sweet. Are you planning on doing the whole armor set or just the helmet?

Gonna do a full armor suit one day. Not lookin' to do one anytime soon though, and can't really decide which one I would do.

I am, however, doing all the helmets. ;)

These looks great. Can't wait to see the finished pieces!

Last edited:

Main shell to T-51b printed! Just need to weld the bottom rim on.

I'm really happy with the scale, I think the size is perfect. :)

Edit: Photos lost due to image hosting site problems. Sorry!

While I start mastering this one, I'll also be beginning to print up the Hellfire helmet! Stay tuned........

Last edited:

Alrighty guys, I need you all to weigh in on some things............

So..........long story short, the Hellfire lid is pretty much unwearable. The actual design of the helmet is to blame here.

Looking below, you can see the actual game models, side by side. Notice how much skinnier the Hellfire lid is than the T-51b helmet? Yup, me too. And not only is it too skinny, but even if I scale it up some to open it up a little, there is a rib that goes along the inside, where the big outer rim connects to the main "bubble". That rib makes it impossible to wear, you, me or anybody else will not be able to get their head in it at this scale.

helmet size comparison.png

Trouble is, I want it to be at a matching scale, for displaying the helmets. And frankly speaking, I'm not changing the scale of T-51b to try and even them out. It's scale is perfect for my head, and will probably fit bigger heads too after widening the bottom rim. It's too perfect, and I don't want to change it.

So, I don't know. Maybe need to think about Hellfire a little more, as well as the other Enclave lids. I'd really like to be able to wear all of them, if possible...........

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back