Interstellar TARS build

Not really build related helpful since it is about sound FX but rather funny....

http://www.screendaily.com/home/blogs/the-file-cabinet-at-the-heart-of-interstellar/5080827.article

"Editor Lee Smith said that the heavily processed gyro sound effects originally designed for TARS’ movements just didn’t work. Unable to find a digital solution, Nolan suggested the team try the noise of a file cabinet. The resulting, very mundane crashing noise ends up bringing the future technology down to earth and connects us to the character’s reality."

Started modelling my own 1/6 scale version this evening. Each section will be printed in two parts as I can't fit a full body part in my 3D printer as they'll be 30cm tall.
untitled.69.jpg

Gotta nice update on my TARS Action Figure build. I've glued the 18 neodymium magnets into the joints and it works very well!
TARS in hand.jpg
Prior to adding the magnets I gave TARS a coat of satin black. While not the correct color, the monolith vibe is undeniable. I've got a game plan for finding the right color which will start with Model Master Metalizer Sprays. While I wait for those to come in, I'll work on the display inserts and figure out how I'm going to do the panel lines.

If you want to see TARS in his various modes of travel, check my latest blog post here.

Hey guys . This thread is super awesome and super informative. I am also making a full scale tars model statue for the garden. I will be using projection mapping for the display screens.

Hoping someone has the endurance logo vector as well as the tars font. I am making the endurance logo in illustrator but perfecting the font is a bit tricky. Regardless I am happy to share the vector image I make with any of you.

My project won't start for a month or so.

Last edited:
Finished printing the first of 8 parts of my 1/6 scale TARS. Annoyingly realized after 10 hours of printing that I'd put the hole for the top magnet in the wrong place. I'll use this piece to test paint instead.
10857931_10154909196910693_5331474689789506928_n.jpg

I was thinking copper. Though still debating between a decal or 3D printing the name slightly indented and painting it with model paint.

I'm going with gunmetal. At least to my eye it is the closest match to the movie prop. The picture below doesn't do justice to the actual test finish, but what do you think is the better shade?
TARS color samples.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back