Denix Mauser / Blaster Assembly Info

Re: Denix / ROTJ Blaster Assembly Info

OK i am having a hell of a time getting the bolt out and as much as the video has helped me with the rest i can't get the damn thing out. Help please : )

Never Mind i got it. Its hard to pull on that little nub and get that pin out when the nub is not there. lol :)

Never Mind i got it. Its hard to pull on that little nub and get that pin out when the nub is not there. lol :)

When the nub has been removed you can get the pin out with needle nose plies. You pull the bolt back and grab it with the plies and then tap the bolt lightly with a hammer till it pops out.

When the nub has been removed you can get the pin out with needle nose plies. You pull the bolt back and grab it with the plies and then tap the bolt lightly with a hammer till it pops out.

Thanks i got it out over lunch and went and got the 400 Grit sponge and alcohol for tonight and hopefully i will paint some this weekend. :)

Hey guys! I got my kit in yesterday and I'm darkening up my grips. Had a question though! My grips are pretty loose, and wiggle a lot even when tight. What's the best way to secure them? Would superglue work? Or should I use something like jb weld/quik?
Appreciate any tips you can give! Same kinda goes for the flash hider, what's the best way to secure that?
So happy to finally be putting the finishing touches on this! Such a great project!

I did a couple wraps of black electrical tape at the end of the barrel. That seems to have done the trick.

I plan to use silicon cement on the grips. It's a good hold and should keep it from wiggling, but also easy to remove should I ever have the need.

Last edited:

If I shortened the screw on the flash hider it should be very tight but you have to crank down on the bolt.

I concur with MJF on the grips, I plan on using a conservative amount of releasable glue on my grips once I am completely done with everything.

I have noticed that even the factory screws allow the wood grip to ship around little bit and the brass hardware can not be tightened down as much as the factory hardware

I finished my build. Not that there was much building as Boba Dept did the heavy lifting.

Here is what I did:
Used paper towel and WD40 to remove paint from scope and scope ring and and weather the body.
Muzzle was wet sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper to dull the finish and help accept the Aluminum Black in the next step.
Used Aluminum Black to add carbon scoring to the muzzle. The entire muzzle was blackened and sanded away AB till I was pleased with the results.
Sanded the grips, added a very dark stain, painted black, and weathered with a paper towel and linseed oil.

IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

Last edited:

Thank you.

The whitish look is the contrast of the remaining flat black paint (BBQ Grill paint) you coated it with against the original Denix finish starting to re-emerge underneath. I simply used a paper towel with a little WD40 to lightly buff the body. The WD40 was a suggestion from Scottjua. He suggested fine steel wool but I substituted a paper towel instead.

The blaster is well built in quality and detail. Kudos David!

Thanks for all the tips guys! :) everyone's blasters are looking so great!

Just thought I'd share my finished Blaster :) I used a light spray of Satin black over the main body, scope and grips and wiped it back with a lint free cloth just as the paint was drying and starting to bite. So it ended up only exposing the edges that would see some ware. The flash hider I sanded with a fine(ish) grit to take the shine off and then aluminium blacked .. and then weathered back to metal with wire wool, leaving black in the grooves and around the base of the cone.

2014-09-28 14.13.38.jpg2014-09-28 14.17.30.jpg

Great kit ! went together so easy. Thanks again for everything Boba :)

3oin

So can someone please explain to me how to get the bolt and that stupid springback ware they belong so I can finish putting this thing together.

20140930_204046.jpg20140930_204131.jpg
So can someone please explain to me how to get the bolt and that stupid springback ware they belong so I can finish putting this thing together.
Never minds after messing with it for a hour I got it. Yay. Also I got the rest of my blaster put together. Just need to weather the muzzle. the pictures didn't turn out great but here it is.

For those of you painting with Rustoleum satin finish, or similar black paint, how much prep do you do on the Denix mauser before painting? Remove most of the finish, just scuff it up or somewhere in between? Also, before painting do you use a primer coat? After painting do you use a clear coat? Brand names would also help for what guys are using.

Thanks.

Mike

To answer your question... I'll ask you one: Do you think the prop builders for the films went so far? From what I see in the photos, they just sprayed with a light coat, and let it be to be banged and weathered.

That's what I did.

If you're doing too many steps, you're over thinking it. If you want accuracy, get into the mind set of the prop department.

thanks for the reply Scott. I asked about the clear coat because I thought I saw a build/thread where it was painted and weathered, then a clear coat to keep it from coming off, but maybe I am over thinking ....

Mike

I agree with Scott mostly. But also remember he's playing with MGCs and real Mausers. He has a big bucket of Denix Mausers in his bathroom that he wipes his butt with and throws them away. Sure he has a great blaster collection but I wouldn't want to do his laundry. :p

Anyhow... When it comes to the paint on a Denix, it is not as nice as the finish on a MGC or real broom handle. It's not bad as is, but if you do want to paint over it I just don't trust it. I remember you could easily scratch off the paint with a fingernail. It's not something I would trust a layer of paint over, but that's just me. I think a little rubbing with some steel wool to get the day loose stuff off would be good enough.

Also,,,, Bobadebt has had good results with simply patching up exposed metal of the Denix with just Aluminum Black. This way you do not have to do a coat of paint or remove the original paint.

Let's go back to what Scott is saying. Don't overthink it but I also think you have to look at each blaster as figure out what the prop make was thinking. When I look at The Empire Strikes Back blasters, it looks like they built it then paint the whole thing because the body, scope, and scope mount all look the same type of black. When I look at the Return of the Jedi blaster. To me it looks like they painted the add on parts that were not black prior to assembly like the side doo-dads and the scope mount. The black finish of the scope, scope rings and gun's body all look like the natural finish of the found items. That's my take away. But I will say that people like Scott have been staring at these props a long time. He and Marcus are my go-to guys when I have detail questions and I put my trust in him to do my GK Blaster build.

Lastly, I would not ever do a clear coat unless I was doing a pristine build and wanted to protect it from wear.

Last edited:

MJF the beginning of your post had me loling like a schoolgirl!!!

Yes some of us don't have buckets of denix fodder for TP...

In fact I've tried to limit myself to sabers, buckets and the occasional armor... All OT other than some covertec clips and anakin ROTS (not proud).

Want all 4 Han blasters... Always read these damn threads! (Scott and Marcus I blame the most!!!)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back