The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Does anyone know of someone making the Blaster "Holster Clips" WITH the Leather backing??
Morbidcharlie and I are working on the leather portion. There is a file for the clips floating around and when I get my 3d printer I could probably print them for you. Message me if you have any questions.

btw great job. What was the base glove you use? You almost got me on the sticking. Looks convincing. Glad you added the top parts

Funny you posted those pics. These are actually the gloves I used as a base!

glove.jpg

Many hours of work went into modding them.

20141231_005359.jpg

I implemented just about every trick in the book. Here is a list of mods that I made to get them to look like this:

- cut slits along the knuckles
- cut off the material around the wrist
- painted the pointer finger black
- cut and sewed additional black leather pieces
- applied goat skin leather for the rest of the glove back and dyed to match
- molded and cast oval shapes for the fingers
- added the dimensional lines at the tips of the fingers
- cut and re-sewed the velcro flap to match the correct shape
- added 3 eyelets at the base of the glove
- cut, embossed and dyed another piece of goat skin dark brown for the back of the glove
- added faux stitch lines with a pen
- covered the whole thing with a brown wash to age them

Here is what the palm looks like (not sure if it's supposed to be all black. I haven't really researched this yet, but I kind of like the way this turned out):

glovepalm.jpg

I also created the texture pattern for the pointer finger out of rubber:

20141231_004506.jpg

I still plan to do some more work like adding a satin pro top coat to give it some shine and weather them even further. I also want to add the grid-like texture pattern for the velcro flap. Maybe on the next pair.

20141231_004643.jpg

So this is a fun fact:
Today there was a woman in my store who apparently made the Star Lord costume for Disneyland. I didn't talk to her but one of my co-workers did and mentioned about the extent I had to go to get the correct zipper(contact the Chinese manufacturer, etc.), and apparently they had to go to the same extent that we did for the Disneyland costume.

Now that I type this out I realize it might not actually be that interesting... Whatever.

Am building the young Peter Quill ensemble for my 9 year old son. Need some HELP to ID the plaid red wool maybe shirt, the 2 remaining patches on the Jansport Backpack. NOTE: 2 versions exist: 1. when we are first introduced to Peter Quill on Earth and the other time hanging on board the MILANO ship. I already found the vintage backpack and the correct NASA patch. My attempt to build the later unless i can get definite IDs on the patched used on the first. Not sure if the plaid shirt is production made or retail. We have google image the results and yield close but not 100% screen accurate results. Feel free to time in on his esoteric build :) Link to the gray RIVER RAFTER t shirt we found HERE

View attachment 419295View attachment 419296View attachment 419297View attachment 419294View attachment 419298View attachment 419299

I too am trying to figure out what the other two patches are. I found the NASA patch with out any real issues but the other two I can not figure out, one looks like a tree and the other is light blue.... lol Maybe one day someone with get a good snap shot of it at a showing

So this is a fun fact:
Today there was a woman in my store who apparently made the Star Lord costume for Disneyland. I didn't talk to her but one of my co-workers did and mentioned about the extent I had to go to get the correct zipper(contact the Chinese manufacturer, etc.), and apparently they had to go to the same extent that we did for the Disneyland costume.

Now that I type this out I realize it might not actually be that interesting... Whatever.

On the contrary; that's pretty cool. But you DO lose RPF Nerd Insanity Points for not speaking to her in person and shaking her down for info.Shape up, soldier!

Did she mention if they at least got the pattern or other things from production? It's interesting that many parts of the Disneyland jacket are inaccurate.

Has anyone been able to find a reference of the "thing" he has behind his ear to turn on his helmet? Don't see it often but would be a nice touch for a costume if you aren't making a helmet.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier but I couldn't find anything by searching.

Has anyone been able to find a reference of the "thing" he has behind his ear to turn on his helmet? Don't see it often but would be a nice touch for a costume if you aren't making a helmet.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier but I couldn't find anything by searching.

There is a guy selling a kit for it in the Junkyard, and there is a file on Shapeways you can print yourself.

I bought skechers - then realized the movie only used the soles......so went with a boot with a similar sole - but which will accomodate spat attachment.
View attachment 421099

What boots are those?

Good looking out. I was on my phone and couldn't find the link when I was replying :D

Also, while trying to decide if I want the long coat or the short jacket, I found this really nice Nova Corp variant from America Suit (http://www.americasuits.com/Men-Jackets/galaxy-leather-jacket-for-men) . Don't know anything about them, but they're the only ones I've seen do this one. They also have the normal short jacket in BLue and Black leather (real or fake). americasuits-galaxy-jacket-500x500.jpg

May spring for that myself. I bought the other available short style jacket on fjackets, and I find myself just wearing it out on warmer days. The fake/pleather ones are built light so can't expect much protection from the elements, but they look damn good I think.

I deliberately waited until the hype on the movie died down, and the blu-ray to be released before starting my WIP. Without fail, you guys never seem to deliver! I wanted to create a few things when the movie was out to have fun but after seeing it I am definitely hooked! And now, there are jacket runs, spat runs, people making the Infinity stones, etc. Not to mention a whole mess of high resolution screen caps!

I am shooting for a pretty accurate build, but it won't be nearly as good as the folks sculpting the pieces, sewing the leather, and making kits for dudes like me to put together! I got a mask from a Crank here on this board through a trade since he isn't allowed to make them. I am getting Danny's trench coat, and spats. Whomever made the bag kits you're a rock star! Seeing the boots were custom, are the sketchers the most on point shoe that has been sourced? I will be making the pants myself though. I will also be doing the ear piece for the helmet (since I haven't seen anyone try that one yet.) It will most likely be EVA foam, sculpting one and casting it seems silly for such a small piece. As for attaching it I was thinking of spirit gum. Haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Starlord WIP by TK9336, on Flickr

Keep innovating guys, y'all rock stars!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back