Captain America Sled Shield Build Tips?

CapFlare

So I've looked through probably 80 pages on building and painting the captain america shield and have some questions.

1. For a sled build, is it better to use a satin or clear clearcoat? I know on the spun aluminum ones people use a satin coat to achieve a more film accurate look but I am not sure how it would look on a sled build.

2. Where can I get the sheet aluminum for the star? Is it more accurate to make an 8 inch or 10inch star for a sled build?

3. When painting I hear one thick coat is best to maintain that anodized look, is this true or should I stick with multiple coats? How many coats?

4. When cleaning before painting, can I use paint thinner to clean it since I already have it on hand. Or do I have to use acetone.

How is my process? Any changes I should make?

1. Cut/strip paint/apply spun look.
2. Tape the entire front with frog tape.
3. Clear Coat the back of the shield.
4. Draw the circles on the front using the center.
5. Use a blade to cut out the center circle and paint it blue with the star shape masked away.
6. Tape over blue center, then cut out the red rings and paint.
7. remove all tape and clear coat entire shield.
8. apply star that has already been clear coated separately.

So I've looked through probably 80 pages on building and painting the captain america shield and have some questions.

1. For a sled build, is it better to use a satin or clear clearcoat? I know on the spun aluminum ones people use a satin coat to achieve a more film accurate look but I am not sure how it would look on a sled build.
I think that's entirely up to you. Some prefer the gloss, some prefer satin.

2. Where can I get the sheet aluminum for the star? Is it more accurate to make an 8 inch or 10inch star for a sled build?
Most hardware stores stock sheet aluminum. For a 25" sled, I would use a 9.5 or 10 " center circle.

3. When painting I hear one thick coat is best to maintain that anodized look, is this true or should I stick with multiple coats? How many coats?
I don't think trying to do one thick coat is a good idea. I would recommend 2 light coats followed by two medium heavy coats.

4. When cleaning before painting, can I use paint thinner to clean it since I already have it on hand. Or do I have to use acetone.
Use acetone.

How is my process? Any changes I should make?

Only things I would mention is to NOT clearcoat or paint a small area under where you are going to attach your star. You want to attach it to raw metal.

1. Cut/strip paint/apply spun look.
2. Tape the entire front with frog tape.
3. Clear Coat the back of the shield.
4. Draw the circles on the front using the center.
5. Use a blade to cut out the center circle and paint it blue with the star shape masked away.
6. Tape over blue center, then cut out the red rings and paint.
7. remove all tape and clear coat entire shield.
8. apply star that has already been clear coated separately.

Answers in the quote above. Good luck with your build!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back