HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

Great idea, Gabe. Thanks for making this so collaborative and giving us all a voice (no pun intended :p ) in choosing the HAL phrases.

And thanks again to Montagar not only for making the files available, but for listing them all up. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Now to start on my list... :love

{EDIT} E-mail sent. :D

Since HAL's voice is fairly flat and monotonous, would it be possible to edit out words or string them together, to modify certain phrases? For example to remove names?

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Mar 20 2006, 05:28 AM
Since HAL's voice is fairly flat and monotonous, would it be possible to edit out words or string them together, to modify certain phrases? For example to remove names?

- k
[snapback]1209343[/snapback]​
Short answer is yes... I am working on a couple of examples.

Long answer is maybe...

If you look at the list, you will see that some phrases are split over multiple lines and others are not. When I put the list together I listened for obvious pauses that would make for easy splits, but some could probably be split; it just might not sound as perfect as the others.

For example:

1. good afternoon mister Ramer everything is going extremely well

I didn't split "good afternoon" and "everything is going extremely well" because HAL says this phrase as a complete sentence with no pauses. So although it can be seperated, the word "afternoon" might sound like it ends abruptly instead of trailing off like you would hear if that is all that he actually said.

On the question of combining, that is also possible with one limitation. If you look at the original list you will see not just "background" sound for the phrase, but also the "medium" and "voice". Medium refers to a difference in the sound of his voice that can't really be altered because it was how it was recorded (think of the difference in the sound of your voice in person vs. over a walkie talkie). Voice refers to the pacing of his voice.

So keep in mind that it probably would not sound very good combining any phrases from the different medium or voice categories.

Here is "good afternoon" extracted from the phrase "good afternoon mister Ramer".

HAL good afternoon

As you can hear from this example, because he is speaking relatively quickly it doesn't sound natural because "afternoon" is followed immediately by "mister". So when it is trimmed, "afternoon" doesn't sound good.

I did find a mistake that I made in making the original list. #1 should actually be the following:

1. good afternoon mister Ramer
2. everything is going extremely well

There is a good pause between "Ramer" and "everything". I think that "everything is going extremely well" is a good and useful phrase that should be a separate choice.

This is an exciting thread.

I would love a very well designed kit from metal that would show up in the Junkyard and include all needed pieces.

This is a relatively simplistic project, but I'm bogged down with others, so great to see folks taking the initiative because I'm too lazy.

I don't car about the monolith idea personally, as I will be mounting this in room / rooms into walls.

Off to put together my quote list.

Ok, I fixed the list - thanks for the correction, Monty. :)

I've only received Stormy's list - where is everybody else's???? :p

Please go back to the list and see my added instructions, so all the submissions will be as consistently formated as possible and make my life easier...

Also - don't say "please put me on the interest list," etc. - there will be plenty of time for that, and I'd want that done in a very specific way too. This is strictly an R&D request.

Thanks.

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 21 2006, 04:45 PM
I've only received Stormy's list - where is everybody else's???? :p
Gabe: I sent you mine via e-mail about an hour after you originally posted your list (see the "Edit" at the end of Post #261). You didn't get it? :(

I used the "Send an e-mail" button in the control panel. I'm not sure why it didn't work.

Okay, I'll try again.

{EDIT} Mail sent again. The server said my mail was "successfully sent to Prop Runner." But that's what it said last time, too. :confused

Well, I don't think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error. :p

{EDIT} Sorry, I re-sent my list without having checked your original post for the revised instructions. But my list basically follows your preferred format; the big difference is that I also included the lines themselves after the line numbers. Uh... I also see you made a provision for including a series of consecutive lines as a single entry. That would mean I could have submitted about ten more lines than I actually did. Rather than mucking things up any more than I have, I'll just leave it. :$

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time you tried might not have worked because my PM box may have been full and it could have blocked the e-mail function (I could be wrong). I still haven't received an e-mail from you, so PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you one as a test - could be that AOL is filtering out your e-mail server's IP block as spam. :unsure

- Gabe

Gabe: you can remove "(even slower, helmet)" from 128 and 131, that is just leftover from before I decided to put that info in other columns.
dohh.gif

Last edited:
Originally posted by Montagar@Mar 21 2006, 06:49 AM
Gabe: you can remove "(even slower, helmet)" from 128 and 131, that is just leftover from before I decided to put that info in other columns.
4634-doh.gif

[snapback]1210152[/snapback]​
LOL.. Like your "DOH." smiley. Please e-mail me the link to the series...

By the way, people - I blame myself for this oversight, and I've corrected it in my list request, but if a single piece of dialouge contains several lines, TREAT IT AS ONE PHRASE OUT OF THE 25.

To those who already submitted a list or are still working on theirs, I ask that you modify it accordingly and resumbit if necessary.

Sorry. :$

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 22 2006, 12:28 AM
To those who already submitted a list or are still working on theirs, I ask that you modify it accordingly and resumbit if necessary.
D'OH..
4634-doh.gif

Okay, Gabe. Resubmission to come. :)

{EDIT} Revised list sent. :D

Montagar, great smiley.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I'm considering a temporary leave of absence from the RPF for personal reasons. Rest assured, this project is still very much a GO. If anything, I'll have more time and energy to devote to it as a result. If I do take a break, you'll still find me posting on this and other topics over at Prop Circle.

Thanks, and please no PMs, as my box is nearly full. I can always be reached by e-mail at proprunner@aol.com or on AOL/AIM as Prop Runner for a chat.

Sorry for the needless drama.

- Gabe

*** UPDATE ****

PropRunner has asked me to post the list of the 41 HAL phrases that have been put together.

41 HAL PHRASES

If you would like to have input into the selection of the final 25 HAL phrases that are going to be used, please choose 25 from the 41 HAL phrases and email them to PropRunner@aol.com

OK deep breath. Here we go.

I had been impressed with the progress that was being made on this new HAL replica. But now "Gabe" is out of the picture, and I for one don't want to see this project die.

So... I've updated my own blueprint of HAL (ignoring completely "Gabe's" CAD version). The dimensions are based on the info earlier in the thread supposedly off of Gilliam's screenused panel, but corrected to the proper proportions.

It works out to nearly 14 inches tall overall. I am willing to revise this based on the Kenko diameter, if someone will be kind enough to supply me with the accurate measurements off of the correct lens.

BUT... I am not a machinist, nor do I play one on TV. I don't know what's involved in actually cutting the metal and making this thing functional. (and as far as electronics, forget that, I know even less than nothing. )

So I'm willing to continue to refine the blueprint, and of course make my patented "smartass" observations, to try hone this into what could be the best HAL replica that's been done.

But let's try to focus on a basic, accurate replica. We can worry about a fully-computerized sound system later.

And let's continue the tradition of keeping all our research above-board, and visible to everyone (no "proprietary" information, please, let's do it right but don't let's make it one of those "secret club - members only" type of deals).

Who's with me? :D

kt-HAL_9000_040106.gif

HALs-compared.jpg

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 2 2006, 04:32 PM
Who's with me? :D
I'm with you, Karl.

I'd hate to see this project die. The prop boards are full of talent. By banding together, I'd like to think we can see this through to the end and, as you wrote, come out the other side with the best HAL replica ever made.

I've got a Kenko lens... but have no calipers and my measuring tape is metal :(. I may not be the best person to provide measurements, but will do my best to provide whatever I can. If someone else with a Kenko and the tools to take spot-on measurements can step up, all the better. :)

What measurements would you like?

Thanks. To get started I'd need these measurements (remove lens caps):

1 - overall diameter at widest point

2 - diameter of widest point of the "body" of the lens (which would have to fit thru a hole in the HAL panel) - I'm assuming this is the knurled ring shown)

3 - overall length from back to front surface of glass lens

4 - length from back to wide metal ring (as shown)

kenkodiameters.jpg

- k

Okay. Here's what I came up with:

- overall diameter at widest point: 6.0 cm

- diameter of widest point of the "body" of the lens (which would have to fit thru a hole in the HAL panel): I'm afraid we'll need someone with calipers to get an accurate measurement here. :(

- overall length from back to front surface of glass lens: 8.3 cm (Note: The measurement is from the front surface of the glass lens to the back as visible in your illustration; it does not include the small ring at the back into which the rear cap screws. If we include that ring, the measurement comes to 8.7 cm.)

- length from back to wide metal ring (as shown): 7.2 cm. (If we include the ring for the rear cap, this comes to 7.6 cm.)

Again, I'm working with a metal tape measure. If anyone out there with a Kenko also has the right equipment to get true measurements (c'mon, I know you're out there.), please let us hear from you. :love

P.S. This has convinced me that I need to buy a set of calipers.

{EDIT} Lens isn't actually 6 mm wide. :confused Changed to "cm." :p

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 2 2006, 05:21 PM
Um... I think for "mm" you mean "cm". :lol

it's late, no sweat

- k
[snapback]1218048[/snapback]​
:confused :lol

Oops.

{EDIT} Actually, it's not yet that late in Tokyo. But my wife is sitting nearby and -- heh, heh -- I'm supposed to be working on something else, not taking measurements of my Kenko. :p I was trying to be inconspicuous and still get accurate numbers. cm, mm... what's a letter between friends?

:$

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back