How big is the Imperial Fleet?

While I have no idea of actual figures I'd hazard a guess that it's probably much, much larger than all of the navies of the world combined. I'd also say that it probably consists of more than just Star Destroyers although that's all we see.

I agree. I think it would be like a real ocean navy with a wide range of ship types not to mention that you'd need it to be massive given how large the Empire is.

Imperial Navy - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

The Imperial Navy, also known as the Imperial Starfleet, Imperial Fleet, Imperial Battlefleet, Imperial Space Navy, or Imperial Space Service, was the naval branch of the Imperial Military of the Galactic Empire. At its peak, it fielded millions of warships, logistics vessels and fighters, maintaining Imperial control throughout the galaxy.

The most recognizable symbol of the Imperial Starfleet was the Imperial-class Star Destroyer, which peaked at over twenty-five thousand vessels, although millions of starships of different designs were fielded for various purposes.

Short answer: A LOT.

Good lord that's a lot of star destroyers alone. i wonder if some of them are refit from the ones you see in clone wars.

That's kind of what I guessed. I'm building a model of the Imperial Fleet with Rhino, and so far I've built a Star Destroyer, Death Star, Lamba-Class Shuttle, TIE Fighter, and TIE interceptor, and I'm wondering how many copies I should make. of course it'll only be a small scale model.

You got a LOOOOOOOONG way to go then. There were other Star Destroyer-type vessels (such as the Super Star Destroyer, the Eclipse-class SSD, the Gladiator-class Star Destroyer, and others), as well as gunboats, space stations, and lots of others...

This should give you a good starting point...
Galactic Empire starship classes - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

I was impressed by the Imperial Navy (I guess I should say "amazed" since I didn't actually suffer impressment) when Han commented about there being "a lot of command ships" referring to the Super. Besides the Alliance, there's not much that wouldn't be intimidated by a single Imperial-class SD. A Super seems excessive.

Huge, even Star Destroyers would probably be numbered in the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands. When you consider you're talking about an entire galaxy any fleet built to rule it would have to be huge.

I was impressed by the Imperial Navy (I guess I should say "amazed" since I didn't actually suffer impressment) when Han commented about there being "a lot of command ships" referring to the Super. Besides the Alliance, there's not much that wouldn't be intimidated by a single Imperial-class SD. A Super seems excessive.

Yeah I assume parking a single Super SD in a planet's orbit would tend to make them turn to your side of the argument. :lol

It's really amazing that the rebels HUNG AROUND after the destruction of of each Deathstar, and didn't get as far away, as quickly as possible. Can you IMAGINE the Imperial ships that would light speed in to both Yavin 4 and the Endor moon after the destruction of the Deathstars? And simply
Lay waste to the planets below?

That's why Lucas stop making the movie past return of the Jedi. The star fleet showed up and blew the moon of endor into pieces. They couldn't escape In time cause everyone was still passed out from the Ewok moonshine & party. GG Jedi

imperialfleetendor.jpg

Whatever happened to the empire fleet hanging around after the Death Star destruction.

And why on earth were there fireworks over empire controlled Coruscant? (A George Lucas edit)

Whatever happened to the empire fleet hanging around after the Death Star destruction.

And why on earth were there fireworks over empire controlled Coruscant? (A George Lucas edit)

If you accept the Expanded Universe then the fleet broke off and retreated. As for Coruscant it was a spontaneous celebration that was stopped shortly after.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm sure the general who ordered retreat was executed for restoring hope to the galaxy. ;)

If u seen Pirates of the Caribbean 3, I often wonder why the East India Company with hundreds of ships retreated in the fight against too few pirates (rebels)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back