New discoveries: pix of Blade Runner Blaster PRE-production condition

Maybe... but it the real world the extra clips would not really fitted inside...

And if they showed a round on top how would you use it.

And if all that happened we should have see Deckard cocking the gun and then we would see it only open 1/2 inch...not any where the travel to load and chamber a round, even a 22...

All it might have done would be give some kind of reason FOR the ammo housing and clip...

Perhaps the cocking lever is like a M16 and only a charging handle.

Rich

I always thought the lever should have been able to pull back further!?! It bugged me as a kid and still does! If it doesn't chamber a round then what purpose does it serve? I guess the M-16 reference makes sense...I wish there was more information as to why it was built like it is and how everything was supposed work with how it is designed would be fantastic!!! Has anyone ever spoken to Syd or the gunsmith who made it find out about the design of the gun??? Probably a silly question but....

"Give it to Holden, he's good!?!"

I know it does not figure...

We never could get the full name of whom ever did the real work on the gun.

I was very surprised by the short travel as well, but it did it did explain the funny extra screw behind the safety...

Rich

Its sad that piece of the puzzle could not be found?! What about whomever came up with the concept of the final weapon?! I know Syd drew some early sketches but they were no where close to the final product?! So, someone else finalized the idea?! Anyone know who?! Obviously Ridley had to have some say in it as well? Anyone ever try to talk to him about it???

I don't think the gun was deliberately designed around a concept of how it would work in the real world. It seems to have been built that way just to "look cool."

As far as I know we don't even know who built it. Did Ridley have a bunch of gun parts on the table and told the prop guy, "stick this on that"? Or did somebody come to Ridley with it already built? Who knows.

I hope someday someone finds out who built it!! They deserve some serious credit for helping to create one of the coolest looking blasters ever!? Well in the cool world...this gun takes the cake for me!!!

Those are very good questions...

Karl kind of nailed it..

The story was they were looking for a weapon in a gun shop and spotted a Steyr Receiver and ammo housing etc with out a stock and barrel and Ridley said that is it build our gun around that.

And they also came up with using a Charter Arms Bulldog as the core working gun to have it fire on set.

So I guess they then handed the two guns to the gun smith to put together...

How he came up with a 4.5 barrel side covers, and larger grip is what we may never know.

Rich

- - - Updated - - -

One sad note is Phil thinks he may have passed...

Rich

I hope someday someone finds out who built it!! They deserve some serious credit for helping to create one of the coolest looking blasters ever!? Well in the cool world...this gun takes the cake for me!!!

Well...by now there is that chance!??! It crazy to me that this persons identity is so mysterious!? Didn't the company have to cut this guy a check at some point!?! Didn't someone, someplace write down his name to be credited in the film?! How is it that this person has just slipped by under the radar all these years!?! Ugh!? So frustrating!!!

Perhaps the person who owns the prop now might be motivated to pursue that information. AFAIK we don't even know who THAT is.

No one knows who bought it!?! Well *!#%$...that's very disappointing!?! At least you and Rich got to see and HOLD it!!!!! How freaking cool is that!?! I would've needed a change of pants after that if it were me!!! Hee!Hee!... that would be a dream come true for me!!!
Anyone ever ask Harry Ford what he knew about or is he so over it he doesn't even want to talk about BR anymore!?

IN the movie world and prop making many times the real work is done by NON UNION works off the rolls as it were.

Read how Star Trek got Projects Unlimited and Wah Chang to work for them.

I worked at Hand Prop Room and we would lie...if the prop master wanted a certain prop we would say "Oh it is out on a rental at this time BUT we will have it back next week and we will refinish to your liking..." And we then had a week to BUILD it.

They could rent or even BUY a prop that was on hand BUT they could NOT order it made for them by nonunion workers ..so we lied...

Rich

Yeah, we are indeed lucky that Jeff Walker (the previous owner) showed it at Worldcon 2006 in LA, the one and only time it was shown to the public since the movie wrapped.

It got restored by HMS, some things were changed. Then it was shown by appointment by Profiles in History, and then it disappeared into somebody's collection.

People were hoping that Paul Allen bought it for the Sci Fi museum in Seattle, but he apparently didn't get it.

A new science fiction museum is being built in Washington, D.C., so I suppose there is SOME hope it might get another showing.... if the stars are right someday.

K

I've been to the Seattle Museum... I almost fell over when I saw the Spinner hanging from the ceiling!!! I had no idea that there were items from Blade Runner there when I went!
I guess all I can do is hope to see it myself in person someday!! In the meantime, I love all the new tidbits of information that keep popping up about it!

Cool!!! I actually didn't say that I think Karl did but that is good to know!! That means its in good hands!!! Have you ever gotten to see it or hold it!? Thanks for the information Mark

PS...off topic, someone was asking about your ammo box... is the download available still?

Have you ever gotten to see it or hold it!?

I haven't as yet because he's a very long way away but it IS a plan to go and see him as soon as I get a chance...

Regarding the box, I'm not sure if its still there, as I haven't updated that portal for a few years now. I will take a look.

Best
MARK

Thanks Mark! I hope you get to see it some day! The ammo box is such z fantastic item it would be great to have back again...cheers!
Sorry to drift off topics again y'all...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back