Tomenosuke Blade Runner Blaster Build (Video)

Rich Lee

Hi all...first time poster...

Loved the aesthetic of the BR Blaster since i was a kid. Got my hands on a Tomenosuke kit and thought i would have some fun shooting a video of the unboxing/build.

It's a pretty easy kit to put together, but, given that i would stop along the way to shoot some video of a few of the steps, it took a few nights in the garage.

I wish i shot more video of the blueing. Also, this isn't a tutorial or step by step video by any means...more about the aesthetic of the prop and a mood...

Hope you guys dig it!

Shot with a Canon 5DMIII, an Iscorama Anamorphic lens and dolly shots with a Syrp Genie.

[video=vimeo;81917383]https://vimeo.com/81917383[/video]

Direct link to Vimeo as well...
https://vimeo.com/81917383

BRB_01 (00195) copy.jpgBRB_01 (00290) copy.jpgBRB_01 (00394) copy.jpgBRB_01 (00670) copy.jpgBRB_01 (00778) copy.jpgBRB_01 (00937) copy.jpgBRB_01 (01068) copy.jpgBRB_01 (01294) copy.jpgBRB_01 (01466) copy.jpgBRB_01 (01561) copy.jpgBRB_01 (01786) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02041) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02353) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02520) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02584) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02855) copy.jpgBRB_01 (02946) copy.jpgBRB_01 (03226) copy.jpgBRB_01 (03683) copy.jpgBRB_01 (03796) copy.jpgBRB_01 (03905) copy.jpgBRB_01 (04244) copy.jpgBRB_01 (04244).jpgBRB_01 (04281) copy.jpg

Last edited:
Great video, you got the mood spot on for sure. Any chance you might go through your blueing process, I haven't tried blueing mine yet, might tackle it over the holiday break.

Truly inspired!!!

One could call it "Reproduction Noir"..!

Ah, for the time & finances for one of these beauties...

Thanks guys.

budgeysmuggler - the bluing process was a little bit of a pain. I used aluminum black. Getting some evenness and consistency in the finish was challenging...thankfully i was going for a slightly used look anyway. Kudos to the guys who can get an even finish.

I did 320, 400, 600 sanding and then a polish and a wash/degrease...like some have said...seems hard for the bluing to stick to the polished parts...so I ended up using some 000 steel wool to get a little edge.

However, I bought a 32oz bottle of aluminum black and I poured some into a glass jar and dipped all the small parts. They came out really well. Curious to try that with some of the larger pieces.

Also, not sure if people are aware of this product...

Diamond Brite, is probably the greatest polishing compound I have ever used...blows all of the hobby stuff out of the water in terms of speed and shinyness. I have a 1957 Feathercraft Vagabond that i use it on (an all aluminum boat, like an airstream of the water). Airstream guys turned me on to it...

You can only get it at Lowes Home Improvement and it's hidden away in the truck tool box section. Took me 2 visits to find it...but now I know where the stash is.

Anyway, it's a very fast polishing compound and gets and amazing shine...the metal parts were looking so cool that for a few hours I almost just left it shiny. Maybe I'll do that to another one :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Noeland, I inadvertently started a little trend a few years back on a few of the filmmaker forums.

I was desperate to mount a anamorphic lens to the new wave of dslr's that shot video and after trying lens after lens I came across these obscure "Isco" lenses. There is only one focal length and I bought a copy of one on eBay for 500 bucks...now all the kids want it and they have driven the price up to 2500! I should have gobbled them all up and made some extra cash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a builder of BR blasters I am highly impressed! Great work! Yes, Diamond Brite is great...nice find and a secret I had yet to give away!! My Coyle metal kit has been fun and challenging... dig the video...I plan on filming my other builds with my new GoPro from now on...keep up the good work...wish I had a Tomen..missed my chance when they were available!? Had one offered to me but way out of my price range!!! Noticed you have no green LED's installed? Are you planning on wiring them up at all or leaving them "hero" style??? Beautiful build.... cheers!

From the mobile office of Wolf Navarro

Last edited:
Beautifully done video. I expect it to show up on the Tomenosuke website any day now. Really captured the feel of the film. Almost needed to use the "Love theme" though ;)

Andy

What a beautiful video. As much as I enjoy a classic walk-through style build vid, this takes what many pass of as " just putting a kit together" shows the true artistry in it. Well done!

I posted your video over on the Tested.com forums. They all love Blade Runner but let me know if you want me to pull it down.

Glad you guys are diggin it.

Darthwolf7 - I haven't installed the leds yet because i may pull that part off and refinish it. But, i don't think i'm going to wire them up.

Knowone251 - Thanks for posting to Tested.

Now, if only there was a Voight Kampff kit...

An absolutely exquisite video - brilliantly shot, lit and executed.

Congratulations, its a wonderful addition to the BR Genre and is a credit to your skill both as a producer and as a builder..

Highest regards

MARK

I've been on the fence about wiring my green LEDs on my Coyle or not!?!
*not get off topic*
Seriously makes me want to film my next build now!
VERY INSPIRING...Thanks for sharing this with us all...cheers!

From the mobile office of Wolf Navarro

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back