Kialna's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Smaug the Magnificent

The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent [Human form]

I read it recently. There are not many details actually. Just glowing eyes, and a belly covered in jewels and gold, with an open spot in the left.

So yeah... Really waiting to see what they came up with.

Re: The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent [Human form]

I was more thinking about his characteristics. Where I have an Idea! How about instead of a helmet, make a crown! As already wrote, Smaug see himself as a god, he is the king of his cave and the lands around it. Also it represents his wealth and attitude to pose with his treasures.
I am loving this project. It has so much room for interpretation.

Well, the helmet was already ditched. The recent sketches show what I have in mind by now. The crown could be fun, but it really depends on how the movie made him look. I'm waiting in anticipation. Because I think, no I am sure, he's going to be bad ass.

Not to mention being mo-capped and voiced by my favourite actor.

I did a test with how the scalemail looks in combination with the (unpainted and unfinished) breastplate.

9vPPk6bl.jpg

N788K86l.jpg

koaQCHcl.jpg

(The angle in this picture is really weird.)

And I pulled my FIRST CAST EVER. As in; this is the first time I made a worthy cast of something. In this case, my own hand/arm. I'm incredibly proud. Can I?

When it's completely dry, I can start sculpting dragon claws.

RbUuJFyl.jpg

hB29cWPl.jpg

ZxXYc9Ll.jpg

Beautiful scales!! That color is so rich. The breastplate shape is looking good too. :)

That dragon armor has some interesting things, but is a bit 'too much' if you get my jest. Thanks for the link though!

Vl1yFHvl.jpg

this is the first reference of the head I've seen so far... Just a few more days, and I will be able to work off something better. Now I'm kind of figuring out how to scale it to my head. I do know how I want to make it now. At least partly. I can go either way with a foam head, or make a mold and cast it in something like urethane rubber. Not sure yet... First scaling and making an actual head...

2QLpNTwl.png

I finally have a job again, so materials should be affordable from January onward! I also asked for materials at christmas, so if I'm lucky...I can go on!

Oh and I nearly forgot, I already started sculpting one hand...a bit.

tnVit10l.png

5WtssQ2l.png

zero detailing done. just the rough shape.

I started to work on the head... yeah lack of consistency.

96FQD1tl.jpg

5Ttorcml.jpg

3UqqPZ9l.jpg

LQvjcXel.jpg

19VLTNDl.jpg

hLjdKusl.jpg

N8G5ZLEl.png

4svc1Iil.png

E9jQH5al.png

I need another can. I know. I didn't realise it wouldn't be enough. And the stores are closed, and they are tomorrow as well. So now I'll be going on sculpting the hands..

Update:
Mind you, I'm not a professional sculptor, but this is how the talons, or rather, one talon, looks like now.

40Qa0ell.png

OSa0lE5l.png

LHuFSd0l.png

Last edited:

Holy cow, this is absolutely fantastic. I love the design so much. I can't wait to see the final product!

awesome idea / concept! I likewise am looking forward to the finished build!

I have entered a cosplay competition with this thing and will have to work hard! This weekend I'll get the first part for the wings in. And some more materials I hope!

Every single weekend will now be dedicated to Smaug!

Here is an image of myself traced, with smaug parts for proportion and scaling purposes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387530085.479109.jpg

Very nice project so far! You could also try and search the web for images of 'Dragonlance Draconian' for some more inspiration.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Guri, that tutorial is awesome! I just posted it to my Fb page to share.

XmgaGtIl.png

05nwi0l.png

f0bzCK2l.png

Dq7Q4qgl.png

Update!

I think it may be a tad big, but I will wait with downscaling, because there will be wings, a tail, 'armour' and pouldrons. It then may look a bit more in proportion.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back