Captain Jack Sparrow OST Costume - Opinions Needed!

a few, more recent pics...
0824131744.jpg0824131745.jpg

HIGH5orDIE:
Nice wig! =)
How long did that take ya to put together?

Update re: facial hair
Beard1.jpg
Please ignore how untidied and messy looking it all is - it was a candid shot by a friend, and my camera is busted. (Also, I've since trimmed it a whole bunch. =P)
Any tips on adding extensions into existing facial hair/where to get them, guys?
I figure I'll need roughly double the length I have now for braids that are long enough.

HIGH5orDIE:
Nice wig! =)
How long did that take ya to put together?

Thanx!
All together, around 5 hours to put together including making ALL the beads and the fid but it was over almost a two month period.

Any tips on adding extensions into existing facial hair/where to get them, guys?

I used to use little black rubber bands and have someone (my wife) tie the braids to my twisted up beard(like your pic above)
This year I will be using weave glue to stick the beards in.
like this
Amazon.com: Salon Pro Hair Bonding Glue 4 Oz.: Everything Else

I made some beard braids. One for practice and one to wear (If you like them pm me)
0830132144.jpg0830132145.jpg0830132146.jpg

Update: Due to credit card issues, I still haven't begun purchasing stuff online. I've also decided to go for an AWE-OST hybrid for now. Especially the wig - constructing a high quality OST wig is damned near impossible without a ridiculous amount of planning, I've found.

Thinking for my AWE wig, I may use something like Authentic Pirate Costume Wig - Men's Buccaneer Costume Accessories as a base wig, then add dreadlocks from Jamaican Bob Marley Rasta Dreadlocks Dreads Applejack Tam Hat Wig | eBay

As for the kuchi strand.. Well, I'm not quite sure what to do.. =/
Either I spend a hundred bucks for something accurate, or spend 25+ on a piece of garbage.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: The dreads and ponytail/back-braid are particularly worrisome - any advice?

Last edited:
UPDATE: For any who are still interested, I now have an AWE-style wig. It's not quite screen-accurate, but the wig/dreads look pretty damn realistic.
Got it custom-made by a local artist, the entire thing cost me 60 bucks. =)
Went with Costumebase pants, waistcoat, belts and frock coat for now. A friend gave me a poet shirt, got myself some caboots.
Worked out pretty well, I think. I'll be upgrading/polishing the look over time.

Anybody interested in pictures?

Hey mate yea the brethren court is a great community ! And you can ask my clients about what they think of my items over there I run forgottenseastradingcompany feel free to pm me with any questions

Thanks, Freddie!
I actually had a lot of people coming up to me asking if I was a stunt double.
The fact that I grew out my facial hair (braids included) definitely helped the authenticity, I think. ;)
My only real gripes with it are a more SA kuchi strand and my makeup not looking very tanned in the pic.
That being said, the lighting was really bright on the train and made me look a lot paler.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an ACME hat next - what do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate yea the brethren court is a great community ! And you can ask my clients about what they think of my items over there I run forgottenseastradingcompany feel free to pm me with any questions

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance! Your compasses are envied by many - I may end up getting one in the future.

Pic looks great. For a true leather tri-corn I haven't seen better than ACME but ouch is it pricey! I made my Kuchi strand out of polymer clay and a stamp I made... not exactly screen accurate but also not $125

compare.jpg

Ended up remaking the 'metal" square bead▼

0809132304.jpg

I happen to like Sith-World. They have been nothing but nice their communication and customer service were top notch with quick shipping to boot... only issue is the prices feel like gouging so I cringe to purchase any of the really good items like the Kuchi strand. I did end up doing a great trade with them which included their metal Kuchi beads and it really set my strand off.

If thats you in the picture youre lucky, I have seen some great screen accurate costumes but they guys faces doesnt fit or they are simply fat.
I wish I looked more like Johnny...

Pic looks great. For a true leather tri-corn I haven't seen better than ACME but ouch is it pricey! I made my Kuchi strand out of polymer clay and a stamp I made... not exactly screen accurate but also not $125

View attachment 252022

If you're talking about the picture you re-posted... no, that is not me that's a wax sculpture @ a museum in London I believe. Although I have been told many times that I slightly *resemble* Mr. Depp. It was actually what inspired me to choose this particular character. Fun costume, if you look like him or not, EVERYONE recognizes Cap'n Jack :D

xSpades version is looking great so far! :thumbsup

I think Sith-world is also in Canada, and also in the same city as u. i remember ordering some sparrow stuff from them and looks to be in the same town as u.
might be worth while emailing them for some pieces.
They were pretty good when I dealt with them the last time for an OST waist coat

Hello, my friend! My name is Marcus. Just a fellow cosplayer trying to find his way. I understand how much of a long shot this is, considering the 5 year gap. Haha, but is there any chance you’re still available to help me with my dreads? Yours are exactly the way I want them!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back