Pirates of the Caribbean Captain Barbossa Costume Question

Foolishmortal42

Barbossa.jpg

I am working on a Captain Barbossa costume from Pirates of the Caribbean. I am working on the coat and am trying to find a similar black piping as the original costume. I have searched the web but have not found something close. I was hoping someone here might recognize the type of black scalloped piping this is and let me know the name and where it might be found. It might improve my ability to find it.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Piping 1.jpg
    Piping 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
  • Piping 3.jpg
    Piping 3.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Piping 2.jpg
    Piping 2.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 328
View attachment 1580021

I am working on a Captain Barbossa costume from Pirates of the Caribbean. I am working on the coat and am trying to find a similar black piping as the original costume. I have searched the web but have not found something close. I was hoping someone here might recognize the type of black scalloped piping this is and let me know the name and where it might be found. It might improve my ability to find it.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry if I lead ypu astray but I believe it might also be found as "edge lace" or "edging lace".

Thanks for the closeup photos, I'm convinced that it's not a single piece of braid/lace/trim but two different trims combined:

1) 1/8 inch "soutache" braid

2) wavy trim/scalloped lace

Looks like the wavy trim is sewn on first, then the soutache is sewn on top, leaving the wavy trim only showing on one side.

Or it could be a single-side scalloped trim.

Something like this

7IBefGK.jpg

By the way Barbossa's crossbelt hardware is Highland Scottish, of a pattern that's been in regular production for at least a century.

Here's a modern chrome-plated set, and a c1930 set of solid cast German Silver/nickle silver/cupro-nickel.

dhGVVWv.jpg

Here in this 1970s catalogue the pattern is called No. 102

lgr6UPq.jpg

Sort of disappointed in the costume designer, as this crossbelt hardware is utterly anachronistic to the film.

Last edited:
Thanks for the closeup photos, I'm convinced that it's not a single piece of braid/lace/trim but two different trims combined:

1) 1/8 inch "soutache" braid

2) wavy trim/scalloped lace

Looks like the wavy trim is sewn on first, then the soutache is sewn on top, leaving the wavy trim only showing on one side.

Or it could be a single-side scalloped trim.

Something like this

View attachment 1582957

By the way Barbossa's crossbelt hardware is Highland Scottish, of a pattern that's been in regular production for at least a century.

Here's a modern chrome-plated set, and a c1930 set of solid cast German Silver/nickle silver/cupro-nickel.

View attachment 1582958

Here in this 1970s catalogue the pattern is called No. 102

View attachment 1582959

Sort of disappointed in the costume designer, as this crossbelt hardware is utterly anachronistic to the film.
I agree on the two part. I found that when looking at the entire line. It pulls away at spots, so definitely two parts. I did not find the source for same. Nor did I find the descriptive name for the double piped side. Dr. Jones Sr, did you find a source for that straight section you showed, the one immediately below the lace piece you are showing? I could not find a vendor that produced linear tubes/folds like the one you are showing, but instead only found edge piping. I looked for lace, edging, piping, trim and ribbon.

After the suggestion above that this was two separate edgings, I found that what I thought was piping or a linear fold/tube looks like just two silver lines stitched onto a double edged, likely double wire, ribbon lace. I have two pics here but please imagine the braided ribbon in black and the double edged ribbon to be slightly fancier and lace. I think combining these two types will create what is on the hat but the search isn't over until you find matches in both types. One is called braided trim, the other I found with "black double edged double wire ribbon lace".

20220603_110706.jpg
Screenshot_20220603-111001_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do you need reference pictures for anything? I have a set of photographs I took at Disney of an original costume. I’d have to find them though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back