Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Do you think we need to bother with the other side of the card? I suppose I could do a "one card fits all" with the luke ESB traces on one side, and the new V2 traces on the other.

It would be cool if one side was the "As Is" version that we see in the prop today and one "idealized" version on the other with all the lead connected. As much as I support those in their endeavors for accuracy, I still feel a good lot of them were rubbed off due to time and use. If that's gonna happen on my card, I'd like it to be done with my own hands.

It would be cool if one side was the "As Is" version that we see in the prop today and one "idealized" version on the other with all the lead connected. As much as I support those in their endeavors for accuracy, I still feel a good lot of them were rubbed off due to time and use. If that's gonna happen on my card, I'd like it to be done with my own hands.

Im not so sure those silver leads were rubbed off. I don't have examples with me, but I've seen boards of that era that were printed or manufactured by one company and finished by the electronics maker. Many times the boards were created for multiple uses and you'll see unused leads or fingers, if I'm making sense.

Im not so sure those silver leads were rubbed off. I don't have examples with me, but I've seen boards of that era that were printed or manufactured by one company and finished by the electronics maker. Many times the boards were created for multiple uses and you'll see unused leads or fingers, if I'm making sense.

I get it but all that negative space bugs me. Personal preference.

Ok what do you guys thing of this as a first pass...

clampcard_v2_02.jpg

As far as the silver leads being rubbed off, a lot of the fingers on these cards (mine included) are gold plated, and silvered where the gold wasn't plated.

Also, the terminators for the thin traces on my layout are round, which I think is what I am seeing from the photos. I can't find any reference of circuitboards from that era (or any other) that have square terminators or vias at the end of those kinds of traces.

Most likely those spots are vias through to the other side of the board.

Is there ANY way we can get a better shot of the card?

Also, I think the topmost things we see, the short rectangle and the long rectangle underneath the clamp lip are actually thicker pieces than the rest of the card. These may be wedged in there to take up space? I don't know.

Also, in regards to the back side... My preference is to pick the new style we're looking at now for one side, and the idealized style, or current style we have for the other. Because that would be a valid card layout for the ESB Luke card. I know for a fact you won't be able to see through one side to the other, unless you're using a flashlight. And it means I can produce one set of cards cheaper for you guys in the long run.

However, I am not opposed to doing just the "new V2" on one side, and nothing on the back, if consensus dictates that's what people want.

Regardless, of whether you go for a 2 sided card or not count me in for at least 1!

Same goes for whoever makes a new lever....

:)

Ok what do you guys thing of this as a first pass...

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/clampcard/clampcard_v2_02.jpg

As far as the silver leads being rubbed off, a lot of the fingers on these cards (mine included) are gold plated, and silvered where the gold wasn't plated.

Also, the terminators for the thin traces on my layout are round, which I think is what I am seeing from the photos. I can't find any reference of circuitboards from that era (or any other) that have square terminators or vias at the end of those kinds of traces.

Most likely those spots are vias through to the other side of the board.

Is there ANY way we can get a better shot of the card?

Also, I think the topmost things we see, the short rectangle and the long rectangle underneath the clamp lip are actually thicker pieces than the rest of the card. These may be wedged in there to take up space? I don't know.

Also, in regards to the back side... My preference is to pick the new style we're looking at now for one side, and the idealized style, or current style we have for the other. Because that would be a valid card layout for the ESB Luke card. I know for a fact you won't be able to see through one side to the other, unless you're using a flashlight. And it means I can produce one set of cards cheaper for you guys in the long run.

However, I am not opposed to doing just the "new V2" on one side, and nothing on the back, if consensus dictates that's what people want.

I like the idea of a two sided version as a choice is always welcome.
Just my two credits.

've seen boards of that era that were printed or manufactured by one company and finished by the electronics maker. Many times the boards were created for multiple uses and you'll see unused leads or fingers, if I'm making sense.

exactly!

So...if someone wanted to do this as a Kenobi ANH stunt, leave off the cone, swap the circuit card for bubbles, don't chip the paint?

Bubbles or empty either is accurate. The ANH version was ever changing, but it had the full paint job. I even saw one with some sort of top hat transistors on the sides lol but basically, yes yore correct.

Has anyone ever done this version? I've never seen one here on the RPF. I'm pondering it. Old OWK is my fave SW character, and the Luke V2 is my fave saber, so...I dunno. Might be fun.

But I do loves me that chipped up paint...decisions decisions.

EDIT: Can we see if it still has the second clamp bar when OWK uses it?

I don't believe it does, based on the celebration photos. I DID try to do this, a friend lathed me a shared stunt and I painted it black and dark brown/maroon lol I thought that's what was under the mr version. I still don't really know the shade of the neck portion here.

Here's the ANH stunt without a G R A F L E X clamp at all :

and in Old OB1's hand without the clamp ... or so it appears (click picture for a larger size) :

I was working on the OB1 stunt for a while but the base saber doesn't have the correct size rings ... it does come with an emitter without a nipple so it could also be altered to the V1 Stunt Luke ROTJ that went into space ... sorry I don't have any picture available ... yet.

Chaim

Last edited:
Does that not make it the cast version? That they added the box to in ROTJ?

Not confused at all....:unsure

Oh wow there's a lot more going on there than just flat black paint too. I see the booster, neck, and emitter as different shades. So the Luke V2 shouldn't be just chipped black either, huh?

Well . . . since I truly believe this is the correct way to make a weapon of a more civilized era . . . :

Even I get confused at times with all these variations ... which is the V1 ... and is the V3 the Yuma? :wacko

Chaim

I think I'm starting to get that there are the two shared stunts... the one there in the pic never became the V2... that is the shared stunt with the bronze paint on the neck and a box attached where the clamp would be...

Correct, Chaim?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back