Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber ROTJ Resin Stunt Saber Build.

Darko

Alright so this is my latest project, I am attempting to recreate the Resin stunt saber used by Luke in ROTJ, my goal is simple, To have an accurate replica of the prop used in the movie and seen recently for Auction on profiles in history. I know I could just buy a resin saber made by someone else and paint it or I could just go for one of those MR "precision cast" replicas and call it a day but... thats not what this is about, the resin casts ive seen for sale are rarely accurate and the MR replicas look like toys, not like props cast for use in a movie! I have a major problem with the MR replicas as they are to clean, their proportions are too perfect, they dont look like a prop! anyway enough foreplay lets get to the fun!

What I have here is a 3d model I made of the hero prop, I am trying to go for accuracy with its asymmetrical proportions and any holes I plan to drill after casting (pommel hole and one near the emitter) my idea is to get as close as possible with the model then have it 3d printed, I will then clean up the 3d printed model into a master which I will then use to make a mold, the mold will be made in such a way that I will have the seam in the same place as the original prop (or so I am hoping) I will then cast the prop in white resin, then paint it up as if its ready to be used in the movie I will then age and wear it as closely to the prop as I can then voila!! hopefully I will have an accurate replica of the stunt prop!! :D

Oh yeah here is some photos!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

The last photo is of the prop (obviously) and it can be clearly seen where the seam runs, I hope to get this accurate! and please!! oh god I want feedback and discussion because this will help me further refine my model and get a better result!! I have questions such as, is there a chip out of the pommel? is this seen in the movie and should I model it in? has anyone had 3d printing experience and care to link me to a decent company that will print out my model and hi-res and affordable? any help at all will be appreciated man! also if people really liked the outcome i could cast a few! its all up in the air really lets see what happens. Cheers guys!.

Hi there,

Well if you look closely the angles you have created in 3D on the rings ... should be mirrored ... as can clearly be seen on this high end replica by Anakin Starkiller, who meticulously scrutinized the ROTJ sabers for accuracy :

Do you see what I mean ... the irregular angles should be the other way arround ... as far as I can read your 3D files properly.

-Chaim

Alright I adjusted the angles of the grip and ill attack the pommel next, by round the cubes do you mean inward or outward? like the second image.

7.jpg8.jpg

Ah, I think he means each face. each cube's face should be round from a bottom view. The original was milled on a lathe and then cut in - see pommel saber31sh.jpg

Oh yeah so it would be "outward" on milled top and bottom and the "cuts" in would be "inward". Ill post pics of the adjustment soon.

Hey there,

Here's Anakin Starkiller's lightaber ... again to show you the irregularities of the rings and the correct position of the angles of the cuts on the rings. I don't know the correct degrees of the angles otherwise I would just mention them . . . perhaps Dan can tell you the correct angles?

Click on this photo so you'll get into my free photobucket account then click on the magnifier glass in the corner on your right and click again so you'll see the largest possible view of this lightsaber.

-Chaim

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back