Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Shuffled things around a bit. Now I can fit a geared motor under the fan. I gutted the video glasses then set them closer to the faceplate so the centre doesn't hit me on the bridge of my nose any more.

s8HqMiA.jpg

mYS3xbL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The glasses came from Alibaba or ali-express and the camera was from DX.com Model number SKU:234280 US$11.47 - AU$25 landed in Australia.

Ive never looked at this build...This is Amazing.....this looks as if it should be in the movies......you should run and Youtube Video unless you aready do and get a following....maybe you'll get some Studio Attention?.......

Ive never looked at this build...This is Amazing.....this looks as if it should be in the movies......you should run and Youtube Video unless you aready do and get a following....maybe you'll get some Studio Attention?.......

Thanks man. I do have a channel. Here's another one.

Video:

To provide limits to the faceplate actuation up and down, micro switches provide feedback to the motor.

Trying to make progress anywhere I can while electronics is at a stand-still.

Two years worth of surface flash-rusting vanished in five minutes with the application of POR-15 metal prep, inside and out. Amazing stuff.

Inside accessory tabs welded in to attach battery packs later, then full coat on the inside with POR-15 rust preventative paint.

6PeXIwG.jpg

AIcjnRE.jpg

1. Benches cleaned off and shed reconfigured for some serious bog work.

MIeQemn.jpg

2. I'm making a heap of knives this weekend, but now I need a specific tool to continue with them so I have to pause. The Iron Man electronics are still on hold, so now to spend some time with prep for finishing. Very thin applications of bog, sanding off all but the low points. A little bit of build shaping in the cracks, welds and hard-to-reach places, trying not to add too much weight.

MaPTb1f.jpg

3. Trial paint. First a coat of gold, then an anodised red to go over the top. Shoulder bell is probably the easiest to fix if I stuff it.

I've decided to paint it myself purely because of cost. To get it done professionally it will cost me around $2K and if I fall over and damage it, that's an expensive hit. If I paint it myself I can certainly fix it in the event I have an accident.

mP02J8P.jpg

Finish colour.

quUqLRt.jpg

Last edited:
And I thought this build looked amazing WITHOUT colour!!!!!!!!!!

It certainly motivates me to see even one piece finished.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had more than a few people suggest that I appeal to the charitable types out there in the name of a good cause and intent.
While I have had a number of amazing people step forward and give, we must realise that there are limits to what we can reasonably ask for and realistically accept.
There are endless worthy causes out there that many give to and mine is just one more. Making sick kids happy for a couple of hours is nice, but perhaps not as important as giving for children with no clean water. So, I must mush on and give from my own pocket to see it through and that's absolutely fine, just a bit slower is all.
I visited a pro shop to get a price on painting the whole suit. Around $1500 to $2000 AUD. I then asked around for LOCAL painters as I want to have hands on the process and am not willing to let the suit out of my sight. No one stepped up. I got an interview on local Canberra radio asking for a painting sponsor with no response.
I can guess that businesses get people at their door all the time with their hat in their hand, begging for something for nothing. As a pro-photographer, I used to get people all the time asking for free photography with the carrot being, "lots of great exposure for free." I tired of it quickly, realising that exposure doesn't pay bills.
So, I can hardly expect it from the majority of businesses as I know EXACTLY how they feel.
With a cost like that I thought if I fall over or get caught in an elevator door or something stupid, that's an expensive little accident. If I paint it myself, I can also fix it myself.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back