Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

House full of sick kids..... staying home today to help out the mrs.

What to do while stuck in the house? Learn how to become a tailor of course! Found some shiny metallic red stretch cloth to simulate the gauntlet under-armour. Instructables, youtube, you rock.

I cant take all the credit. I did all the trace and pin, wifey operated the sewing machine. Team effort!

Amazing what you can do in less than an hour.

The cut is comfortable and stretchy. Much like a second skin. It's very thin and strong and doesn't take up too much room under the armour. I was worried about using material that added too much bulk and restricting movement. Not a problem with this stuff. Only cost me $12 for the linear metre off the roll.

You and your Mrs make a great team as that glove looks awesome!

Roughneckone:cool

If you can make it in cardboard, you can make it in steel.

BdRAKsO.jpg

FdHFt78.jpg

L3wINWb.jpg

Mla7ISF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I cut out plates for the rest of the hand. Modified them slightly. I can't do any beating though as it's late at night and the neighbours might get a little upset.

Wu3rhNj.jpg

Instead, I trimmed finger pieces and conducted range of motion test. I can touch all fingertips to the opposing thumb. So far so good.

I'll see if I can get the rest of the hand beaten into shape and welded tomorrow.

mBm4fkw.jpg

jdfPP64.jpg

rDiHPCi.jpg

Those gloves look very promising. I hope to be able to do something like that too.

Awesome scratch work btw. I bet this thing will be extremely heavy.

Those gloves look very promising. I hope to be able to do something like that too.

Awesome scratch work btw. I bet this thing will be extremely heavy.

I don't know why people keep saying this. Perhaps I need to make my signature BOLD

Thanks for the encouragement though. :D

I just discovered this thread. I am disappointed by your strenght of will, your project is absolute madness but it worth! I see true passion, I will follow!

My bad :/. I don't tend to read signatures. Does not always contain interesting things to read ;)

Yep, I know what you mean. Still, some can be entertaining.

I just discovered this thread. I am disappointed by your strenght of will, your project is absolute madness but it worth! I see true passion, I will follow!

Hail to Italy from Australia. My wife's family is from Calabria and Campania.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked through lunch and stayed back in the workshop after work for a bit of un-interrupted tinkering today.

Lots of fiddly panel-beating. I got a rough and functional form in place, now for trimming and clean-up, before brazing in the steel cables to join the fingers.

yXFUM31.jpg

KppWzER.jpg

bv0WOiG.jpg

oGFfBtx.jpg

fQWVEMF.jpg

LpotyXd.jpg

7FlFATC.jpg

3XJIP7Z.jpg

I may have asked this already but have you ever made any historical armor? If not do you have any plans to? You have the engineering and craftsmanship down for that kind of work.

Tweaking, trimming, bending, sanding and smoothing edges, every tiny adjustment yielding improved movement.

You might notice the knuckles on the fist are a little out of alignment and open a bit. I will be brazing in a thin steel cable either side of each finger that will keep the pieces together and aligned.

At least I can grab and hold a can now... need to find something that tastes nicer than etch primer though....

IzYEU2S.jpg

b4g7tLz.jpg

Hyuo5ec.jpg

nBHLB3V.jpg

Thanks to the donated cash kept aside, I can grab bits and pieces for iron man as soon as I need them. Bike cable to braze into the fingers and self adhesive Velcro to mount the padding so it is removable for washing.

BKCG7Rp.jpg

Zg3Pwsi.jpg

Starting on the next gauntlet with lessons learned from the first one, saving time and metal. See the difference? New template cutout top, old one on the bottom.

1jeGf4H.jpg

BdRAKsO.jpg

So, is the helmet that GoldPointProps building for you? He does such good work, but you seem to have this under control--quite the undertaking in perseverance!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back