STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Maybe Star Wars was best as a trilogy.

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I would have preferred a reboot of the original trilogy over all this other stuff. If what happened between movies was that important, it would have been in the original movies.

Maybe Star Wars was best as a trilogy.

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I would have preferred a reboot of the original trilogy over all this other stuff. If what happened between movies was that important, it would have been in the original movies.

Eh, I get what you're saying. Rather than splitting the fan base, you just have a single set of films and...that's it. Maybe EU stuff that people can take or leave, but that's it.

Anyway, I've gotten to the point with the franchise that I just figure I'll enjoy what I can and ignore the rest. Movies included. As long as I have the original trilogy, there's enough other stuff outside of that that I enjoy to keep me entertained.

Eh, I get what you're saying. Rather than splitting the fan base, you just have a single set of films and...that's it. Maybe EU stuff that people can take or leave, but that's it.

Anyway, I've gotten to the point with the franchise that I just figure I'll enjoy what I can and ignore the rest. Movies included. As long as I have the original trilogy, there's enough other stuff outside of that that I enjoy to keep me entertained.

I'm not saying there can't or shouldn't be other stuff, but let it actually be other stuff. Stop trying to squeeze stuff into or supplement the original trilogy. There has to be something else going on in that galaxy.

TBH I'm really liking what I see. They've discarded the prequel stuff and headed towards the OT style stuff. Stormtroopers,star destroyers,tie fighters,etc. And I know from the Clone Wars that these guys are capable of making a great show.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

TBH I'm really liking what I see. They've discarded the prequel stuff and headed towards the OT style stuff. Stormtroopers,star destroyers,tie fighters,etc. And I know from the Clone Wars that these guys are capable of making a great show.

Ben

well, these teaser pics are just that. teasers. because we already know what the empire looks like.. and then they've thrown in a bone with The Inquisitor. As for the Rebels.. they are keeping that a secret for now. They've shown The Ghost (the ship they will be using) but otherwise we have no idea who the Rebels (the main characters are) and probably won't until the show debuts. I'm curious but I kind of like that the Rebels are being kept hush hush for now... they are on the down low, the rebels are hiding... they are forming, they are planning.. who are these mysterious Rebels? They will reveal themselves to the empire and strike when the moment is there!

:D

I do dislike that Inquisitor.

The show is called "Rebels". The heroes are supposed to be rebels. Then they don't need to show that much of the Empire. We did not see that many different imperial characters in the original trilogy either. No new imperial characters are needed.

IMHO, to be told most of those works are canon is simply a marketing ploy to entice people to buy these products. How many people would buy and read a novel if it was stated, "Go ahead and pay $25 bucks for this book and spend a week reading it, but just so you know, it probably didn't happen"?

But they did that exact thing with all of the Star Trek novels & comics that came out and still come out, they're all (with the possible exception of the recent movie tie in comics) totally non-canon. Paramount has always maintained that only what you see in the movies and on TV is canon, everything else is as canon as fan fiction.

And that sir is the exact reason why I have not read a Trek novel or comic for over 20 years.

My theory is that LFL just figured they were done with their part in the story telling and figured the movie money isn't going to come in but there is still money in marketing. I think I've read things like that when they were asked about possibility of new movies. They always said, something like No, we are content with letting the books and comics carry on. It was a half-ass blessing.

So here we are years later and there are going to be new movies and I have a strong suspicion that the EU is going to get stepped on hard. So now these pour souls who paid good money reading the books and comics and thought they were filling in the gaps are finding out that it's now bantha poodoo.

I'm interested to see what happens with books in the future and what happens to existing books. Will they just be swept into a alternate reality pile with Splinter's of the Mind's Eye? Will they still try and tell fans that books still lame level canon (or in other words, **** on your leg and tell you its raining).

And that sir is the exact reason why I have not read a Trek novel or comic for over 20 years.

My theory is that LFL just figured they were done with their part in the story telling and figured the movie money isn't going to come in but there is still money in marketing. I think I've read things like that when they were asked about possibility of new movies. They always said, something like No, we are content with letting the books and comics carry on. It was a half-ass blessing.

So here we are years later and there are going to be new movies and I have a strong suspicion that the EU is going to get stepped on hard. So now these pour souls who paid good money reading the books and comics and thought they were filling in the gaps are finding out that it's now bantha poodoo.

I'm interested to see what happens with books in the future and what happens to existing books. Will they just be swept into a alternate reality pile with Splinter's of the Mind's Eye? Will they still try and tell fans that books still lame level canon (or in other words, **** on your leg and tell you its raining).

I'd bet alternate reality. The thing about the pre-OT stuff is that, by and large, it's relatively easy to fit it into continuity. There won't be any more films, and the TV shows can maintain internal consistency. Where it gets decidedly dicier is with the post-OT stuff, and that's where I think the largest changes will occur. There's a LOT of material. Like, 20+ years worth of material, in fact. But the thing is, even really simple changes to the characters will effectively undo HUGE swaths of the post-OT EU. Like I said, you take out Mara Jade entirely, and basically the entire post-OT EU falls apart. There MIGHT be ways to fit this or that book in if they don't mention her at all, but she's a central figure for a while there. Same deal with the Solo children. Change that at all, and pretty much the entire post-OT EU falls apart.

So, how do you maintain them without constraining the future films? I don't know that there IS a way, which is why I think we're headed to "alternate reality" territory. Concepts and such may still appear in the new films. Like, spaarti cloning cylinders, or E-wings, or whatever, but even very simple changes have profound impacts. Alternatively, the writers may decide to keep this or that character (e.g., Mara Jade) but have the storyline be drastically different from what's in the books. Like, she's Luke's wife, but has been since, like, two weeks after Yavin or something, and she isn't a Jedi or even force-sensitive. There's a lot of ways they could go, but I just really find it hard to believe that they'll attempt to fit the new films within the context of 20+ years of additional fiction, much of which is garbage.

I'd bet alternate reality...

...There's a lot of ways they could go, but I just really find it hard to believe that they'll attempt to fit the new films within the context of 20+ years of additional fiction, much of which is garbage.

I pretty much agree with that but the pre-OT stories could be in trouble too. Disney is doing stand alone movies, so you never know which time eras they may cover.

Additionally, my person opinion is that once you show that post OT stories are not canon, you realistically can't consider pre-prequel because there is nothing special about them that make them protected.

I guess fans are going to have to look at them in different realities (I don't mean how Trek created an alternate timeline through time travel) in the way that Batman has a comic continuity and different movie franchises have their own continuity. So in Star Wars' case, there is a Movie/TV continuity and a separate Comic/Novel continuity.... and a Lego continuity. :p

Okay, I apologize and I've taken this way off topic so let me try to get it back.

Rebels...

I hope the show clarifies how the rebellion is supported. For instance, how do they get their ships/crafts/fighters? Do they purchase from companies outside the reach of the Empire or do their supports donate them from their own planetary defense forces.

One thing that always bugged me is the way that fans have cookie cutter'ed rebel character types. For instance... They call the uniform of the crew of Tantive IV, Rebel Fleet Troopers. But that makes no sense. Why would a ship in the guise of a diplomatic mission have a crew in know rebel uniform? the crew of Bail Organa's ship would be in some sort of Alderaan uniform such as their Security Force, which I believe it was. So calling them RFTs is inaccurate. I believe you see those uniforms during the Yavin ceremony because they are either survivors of the Alderaan's forces and/or they are spare/donated uniforms that are provided for new affiliating rebellion personnel. I believe they utilized what uniforms they could and why you see several other uniforms at the ceremony.

I have the same issue for the uniforms fans refer to as the pilots of the X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wings.

I pretty much agree with that but the pre-OT stories could be in trouble too. Disney is doing stand alone movies, so you never know which time eras they may cover.

Additionally, my person opinion is that once you show that post OT stories are not canon, you realistically can't consider pre-prequel because there is nothing special about them that make them protected.

I guess fans are going to have to look at them in different realities (I don't mean how Trek created an alternate timeline through time travel) in the way that Batman has a comic continuity and different movie franchises have their own continuity. So in Star Wars' case, there is a Movie/TV continuity and a separate Comic/Novel continuity.... and a Lego continuity. :p

Okay, I apologize and I've taken this way off topic so let me try to get it back.

Rebels...

I hope the show clarifies how the rebellion is supported. For instance, how do they get their ships/crafts/fighters? Do they purchase from companies outside the reach of the Empire or do their supports donate them from their own planetary defense forces.

One thing that always bugged me is the way that fans have cookie cutter'ed rebel character types. For instance... They call the uniform of the crew of Tantive IV, Rebel Fleet Troopers. But that makes no sense. Why would a ship in the guise of a diplomatic mission have a crew in know rebel uniform? the crew of Bail Organa's ship would be in some sort of Alderaan uniform such as their Security Force, which I believe it was. So calling them RFTs is inaccurate. I believe you see those uniforms during the Yavin ceremony because they are either survivors of the Alderaan's forces and/or they are spare/donated uniforms that are provided for new affiliating rebellion personnel. I believe they utilized what uniforms they could and why you see several other uniforms at the ceremony.

I have the same issue for the uniforms fans refer to as the pilots of the X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wings.

I think that as far as EU canon goes all will remain the same except for where it's been directly contradicted by the films and the TV shows. Of course this makes things sort of messy but ultimately it won't really matter except for maybe the 501st and RL, how things are depicted in future films and shows might have some interesting implications on what will and will not be considered acceptable in the future.

In regards to your question/concern about the uniformity of the Rebels, that has always been something that I've found rather interesting about the Rebels, for a bunch of Rebels they're awfully organized, much more organized than you'd typically associate with a rebel alliance made up of who knows how many systems and one operating from secret bases at that. These people seem to have a formal TO&E, uniforms, standardized weapons, personal gear, even starfighters and capital ships. It would be very interesting to see how the Rebels got that organized, who's been supporting, how they get all of that support, and so forth; I'd be very disappointed if the show starts with the rebellion in full swing and they show the Rebels pretty much as we first saw them in ANH. I want to see the Rebels start as a ragtag group of freedom fighters with no standardized uniforms & gear and only a relative (and precious) handful X & Y wings and even fewer capital ships of various kinds with perhaps a few of them being converted cargo ships.

In regards to your question/concern about the uniformity of the Rebels, that has always been something that I've found rather interesting about the Rebels, for a bunch of Rebels they're awfully organized, much more organized than you'd typically associate with a rebel alliance made up of who knows how many systems and one operating from secret bases at that. These people seem to have a formal TO&E, uniforms, standardized weapons, personal gear, even starfighters and capital ships. It would be very interesting to see how the Rebels got that organized, who's been supporting, how they get all of that support, and so forth;

That's sort of my point because I believe there is not a lot of uniformity but fans have this compulsion to devise structure in what they see.

For instance, fans tend to believe that a certain fighter craft pilot is going to wear a particular style flight suit, helmet, and gear. But if you look at ROTJ and really look at the pilots walking around in the background, you will see that there are variations of suits and helmets. Also you have the different suits and helmets of Y-Wing pilots in ANH and ROTJ. I simply believe that these different squadrons have been provided either suit and/or gear and/or craft by different planetary defense forces.

As an example, if Naboo provided forces and equipment to the rebellion (and this just to give you some idea of what I am trying to say so please don't get wound up in why or why not Naboo would do it). You might see N-1 starfighters in the fleet. The would also provide flight gear and other military equipment. So if a new guy joins the rebellion and gets assigned to this squadron, they would had over a uniform from this stash or maybe from the gear locker of a guy who just got killed (ever wonder what happened to the pilot that used to use Luke's flight helmet?). Also, what if Naboo donated a lot more suits and helmets than craft. Well then, those suits and helmets would go to other squadrons who needed gear. Maybe and X, or Y, or A-Wing, etc. So you might see an X-Wing squadron in Naboo flight gear. And they may had way more helmets, so you might go to a B-Wing squadron who wears red suits but they needed some helmets so they used the Naboo flight helmets and maybe they had some spare other helmets so you might have a mix.

It not like they said, "We are going to Hoth, let's get a designer to come up with a uniform." No, they probably were able to get some surplus uniforms from a military organization that supported the rebellion that utilized cold weather gear.

I always tend to think about if the Earth was attacked by an alien species and all the military organizations of the world rebelled against them. they wouldn't stop and come up with a single uniform or new united earth crafts. They would use what they had. And if the US had more a/c than they could fly but Japan had the pilots, they would lend them the craft. But I doubt they would say, whoa, you can't wear your own stuff, you must wear our gear because we need uniformity.

Think about what Han Solo wears. He's not special by wearing his own clothes, he simply is the only one who was able to bring his wardrobe with him (on the Falcon). Even Lando needed to raid Han's wardrobe when he left Cloud City without packing a suitcase. Everyone else wears rebel provided gear (which is most likely donated from the different planetary military organizations) because that's all they got.

All the different uniforms you see in the Yavin ceremony. Those aren't different functions in the rebellion, they are a sample mish-mash of the different groups that have joined the rebellion.

Anyway, that's what I think. It makes sense to me.

I'd be very disappointed if the show starts with the rebellion in full swing and they show the Rebels pretty much as we first saw them in ANH. I want to see the Rebels start as a ragtag group of freedom fighters with no standardized uniforms & gear and only a relative (and precious) handful X & Y wings and even fewer capital ships of various kinds with perhaps a few of them being converted cargo ships.

From the panel at NYCC, it sounds like it's going to be the beginnings of the rebellion. And I am with you in wanting to see that.

Last edited:
Sienar Fleet Systems | TIE fighter and Starship Manufacturer

1396016_10202248693008430_358453251_n.jpg

Such high standards they put themselves in considering that their fighters carry no shields, very little armor, no life support and no hyperdrive.

Code:
prop·a·gan·da

präpəˈgandə/

noun

Information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

I love the imperial propaganda posters. Very WWII-ish.

Last edited:
Such high standards they put themselves in considering that their fighters carry no shields, very little armor, no life support and no hyperdrive.

Obviously a different philosophy in fighter design than what produced X-Wings and it's not without its real world parallels. During WW II the Japanese fighter design philosophy wasn't all that different, the (in)famous Zero had little to no armor, and not self-sealing fuel tanks, but was relatively fast, highly maneuverable, and fairly well armed for when it came out. Early on in the war US pilots would lose, and lose badly to the Zeros until they developed tactics that overcame the Zeros strengths and utilized our planes strengths but even late in the war when we had developed better fighters it was still often considered to be suicide to engage a Zero in a turning dogfight.

Exactly. It fits perfectly with the Empire's military philosophy. The Empire's larger ships and vehicles were typically well armed and armored. But they were also used for large-scale firepower and/or transport. They tended to use larger, slower moving "heavy" vehicles alongside faster, lighter-weight and lightly-armored "scout" vehicles. Consider the difference between the AT-AT and the AT-ST, and the fact that (at least within the films) there's no walker that occupies a mid-range equivalent.

With their fighters, they were designed for inexpensive mass production, to be used in carrier fleets. In the films, we see the TIE fighters used primarily in a defensive application, where they're deployed by the Death Star and Star Destroyers. It's only in the scenes where TIEs chase the Falcon in ANH and ESB that you see them used for other activity, or in ANH when they're used for (apparently) scout duty following the destruction of Alderaan. If you consider that, at least when initially designed, they were meant for clone troopers, it'd make perfect sense to use "disposable" small fighters that emphasized speed and maneuverability.

By contrast, the Rebellion relied on ships that were slower in combat, but were more easily deployed, like the X-wing and Y-wing (and later the A- and B-wings). These were generally more heavily armored, and used shields, ejection equipment, and hyperdrives. But that made sense for the Rebels who likely placed a premium on survivability due to the expense and difficulty of training new pilots or finding experienced ones, and their much smaller force. If we take into account EU discussions, the Rebels also used the "hit and fade" approach offered by their fighters to drop into a system, quickly attack an Imperial target, and jump out before the Empire could effectively respond.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back