Casting Call: Wonder Woman movie

So NOT TRUE. Haven't you ever seen a good movie that suffered from one bad actor? I still feel the Matrix is squashed in certain spots because of Keanu - Interview with a Vampire - Cruise looks like Brando against Pitt. Bad actors destroy the content of a film.

Pitt's a good actor for other parts, but I think he was woefully miscast as Louis in Interview with the Vampire. Cruise was better than I'd have expected, but I still feel like he's just...not quite right.

I'd actually argue that an "A-list" actor can be a detriment to a film, simply because their known persona and overexposure can result in you only seeing the actor, rather than the character. I think much of this has to do with how American celebrity plays out, such that "OMGBRANGELINA!!!" ends up overtaking the actor's life. It's only when they really venture outside their usual "safe" a-list comfort zone that I find such actors to really blend into the roles they're playing. Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July, Pitt in Twelve Monkeys, Clooney in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Will Smith in Six Degrees of Separation, etc.

I'd actually argue that an "A-list" actor can be a detriment to a film, simply because their known persona and overexposure can result in you only seeing the actor, rather than the character.

It's worse in animated films when they bring in "A-list" celebrities to voice characters when they could have hired actual voice actors who are hard core professionals in the voice acting field who can deliver much more dynamic range than those actors could. Now that's not an absolute rule since some A-list actors can pull off voice work beautifully, but since Brad Pitt was mentioned,

sellpittorfilm_zps41d814a1.jpg

Now THAT is selling the celebrities and not the movie.

And another example, what did everyone think of Kerri Russell as the voice of Wonder Woman in the 2009 direct-to-video movie? Because as of this writing, it's her only voice acting credit for a non-live action production.

And another example, what did everyone think of Kerri Russell as the voice of Wonder Woman in the 2009 direct-to-video movie? Because as of this writing, it's her only voice acting credit for a non-live action production.

Personally, I loved Keri Russell as Wonder Woman. She's no Susan Eisenberg, but she did great. The trick with voice acting is to have the ability to do so in such a way as to make people forget who the person behind the microphone is. Keri Russell did it quite well. Alfred Molina (Ares), Oliver Platt (Hades), and Nathan Fillion (Steve Trevor) were not so great at that particular trick, though Nathan Fillion's inability to do so has more to do with the recent success he's had with Firefly, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and Castle. He has redeemed himself as a voice actor, though, by taking on the role of Hal Jordan in three DCAU movies (Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Justice League: Doom, and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox). I think that has a lot to do with DC realizing that he would have been a better choice for the GL movie than Ryan Reynolds, something most fans agreed on.

I'd actually argue that an "A-list" actor can be a detriment to a film, simply because their known persona and overexposure can result in you only seeing the actor, rather than the character. I think much of this has to do with how American celebrity plays out, such that "OMGBRANGELINA!!!" ends up overtaking the actor's life. It's only when they really venture outside their usual "safe" a-list comfort zone that I find such actors to really blend into the roles they're playing. Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July, Pitt in Twelve Monkeys, Clooney in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Will Smith in Six Degrees of Separation, etc.
My list of A-list actors that can transcend the celebrity recognition factor with the sheer power of their acting presence is pretty short.

DeNiro is the obvious choice. He can be unnervingly amoral (Goodfellas) or he can be heartbreakingly innocent (Awakenings). He's also got great comic timing (Midnight Run and Analyze This).

Streep at her best can do the same.

Folks who can't ... Nicholson will always be the same character. Tommy Lee Jones will always play the same character. Sally Field will always play the same character (Norma Rae as Aunt May? Give me a break.)

My list of A-list actors that can transcend the celebrity recognition factor with the sheer power of their acting presence is pretty short.

DeNiro is the obvious choice. He can be unnervingly amoral (Goodfellas) or he can be heartbreakingly innocent (Awakenings). He's also got great comic timing (Midnight Run and Analyze This).

Streep at her best can do the same.

Folks who can't ... Nicholson will always be the same character. Tommy Lee Jones will always play the same character. Sally Field will always play the same character (Norma Rae as Aunt May? Give me a break.)

Having a large body of work -- particularly with real stand-out performances -- can also be an issue.

Take Pacino, for example. Everyone thinks of him now as "Mr. Hooah." He gets all these shouty-ranty-bug-eyed roles. But compare that to the contained fury and ruthlessness of Michael Corleone. The guy HAS range. It's just that he either doesn't get to use it (because of the roles he gets offered) or he doesn't care to use it (because of the money he's offered).

I think that's true of a lot of the greats, particularly when they've had a long career. Unless you're taking wildly different roles, it becomes tough to differentiate the subtleties in their performances.

This isn't even a challenge...

Lynn Collins: View attachment 234205

Antje Traue: View attachment 234211

Gina Carano

I chose Gina last because she's an athlete not an actress. I haven't seen her in a role that I was terribly impressed with and she doesn't have that exotic appeal about her, very girl next door (not a bad thing just not Wonder Woman).

Lynn Collins, Antje Traue, we're given ****ty scripts, ****ty one dimensional roles and somehow still came out smelling like ass kicking roses and stole the spotlight.

I agree with Pacino, but I don't completely blame the roles. Memorable roles are ones that have enough space for the actor to inhabit with a personal interpretation. Pacino seems to be effective at the limited choices he makes in his performance. He's not without range, as you mention, but doesn't have the versatility that, say, someone like DeNiro has. It doesn't make him a lesser performer ... just different.

This isn't even a challenge...

Lynn Collins: View attachment 234205

Lynn Collins, Antje Traue, we're given ****ty scripts, ****ty one dimensional roles and somehow still came out smelling like ass kicking roses and stole the spotlight.

Good picks. I'm apprently alone on recycling actors that have already been in a comic movie so Antje Traue is DQ'ed for me. Lynn Collins is a keeper though.

Good picks. I'm apprently alone on recycling actors that have already been in a comic movie so Antje Traue is DQ'ed for me. Lynn Collins is a keeper though.

If they can recycle dare devil as Batman and The Human Torch as Captain America, psued-deadpool as Green Lantern... i'm pretty sure we can live with Faora-Ul as Wonder Woman. :p

What does DQ'ed mean by the way? Cause where i'm from it means Dairy Queen... unless you are saying Traue has been Dairy Queened?

it's one thing to recycle actors who played heroes in separate franchises and universe, but Antje Traue played a character in MOS, a movie set in the same universe, by the same studio as would be the WW movie, that doesn't work. In this universe, she's Faora, and she's not even dead ! Same goes for Smulders, she's stunning alright, but she's already Maria Hills in the ongoing Marvel universe, where she's bound to appear again. Worked for Evans because the FF movies were done and buried and not even owned by Marvel.
Lynn Collins looks good though, and she wasn't bad in John Carter.

it's one thing to recycle actors who played heroes in separate franchises and universe, but Antje Traue played a character in MOS, a movie set in the same universe, by the same studio as would be the WW movie, that doesn't work. In this universe, she's Faora, and she's not even dead ! Same goes for Smulders, she's stunning alright, but she's already Maria Hills in the ongoing Marvel universe, where she's bound to appear again. Worked for Evans because the FF movies were done and buried and not even owned by Marvel.
Lynn Collins looks good though, and she wasn't bad in John Carter.

As far as I'm concerned Man of Steel is done and buried... Lynn Collins would be my first choice anyways.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back