Modified NCR Ranger Armor a.k.a. Black Armor Build (prototype)

HUNTER killu

Maybe this will help get people to comment on this because I could use some help with troubleshooting ideas:

I am an engineering student @ south seattle community college, i know i am late doing this as it was done last year and the year before (in fact i watched them build it but never made an account), but i had not the job to fund this project, so here i am

I am planning a modified build of the NCR Ranger Armor, primarily the helmet and duster. If any of you are planning on sitting back :popcorn and watching me go through the process I hope you have enough popcon to last you...well, a while.

Note: Some of this is also me thinking out loud so that I don't forget

My plan is to
  • modify a respirator with an amp to make it easier to understand what I am saying
  • the microphone that will be merged with the respirator,
    • it will also be connected through to a two way radio (it will still be designed for ptt) in the same location as in the helmet design
  • It will have the flashlight.
  • The hose connected to the side of the mask will be connected with an adapter to the respirator (eventually) to be usable with a re-breather (for now I might use it as a water hose so I can drink, haha).
  • And unfortunately the infrared tech that is required for the night vision has not currently been invented yet (so I'll have to get on that).
  • The mask will be made of some sort of metal, it will be 3 pieces as follows
    • Lower mask (Respirator assembly [voice amp, respirator].)
    • Upper mask (Radio, Audio cable, rebreather hose, filter cartridge, eye slot/lenses/ wholes/whatever you want to call it)
    • Helmet assembly (flashlight, infrared placeholder [maybe red laser?], helmet)
Please note that I will be trying to make this as air tight as possible.

Modifications to the games design:
  • Filter is not the same shape
    • Filters come in all shapes and sizes, but the one that I bought (because it was the only one they sold for the respirator) is not circular and fits flush to the respirator (an adapter will be fabricated to compensate for the need of a gap between the respirator and the outer mask
  • There will be no night vision lenses :(
  • The duster will not be shot up or have a re-breather/battery backpack
  • The right arm will have a small mounted box (similar to the med box on the left) that will have the controls for the two way radio channel and voice amp settings and flashlight controls and batteries for all the above....ya know, if I was rich and I had a spare $300 gps lying around I'd just put that in there and call it a pip-boy
  • The lenses will probably not be red as I would like to see out of them well.
  • The upper mask section may be a little deformed because the top of the respirator mask I got sticks out a little far
Other Ideas:
  • small wide area mics pointed forward on helmet connected to headphones to make it easier to hear what's going on outside
  • Possible uses for the re-breather tube:
    • water for drinking
    • water (or other inexpensive liquid) to keep inside of mask cool, as it will get rather warm and moist inside
current timeframe:

I will have the respirator assembly complete by halloween (to use for my costume) as all it is, is a modified respirator to have a voice amp

I want to have the duster complete by Halloween as well, but that depends on when the materials come in the mail and how long it takes me to stitch it all together. (for anyone that wants to make the duster but doesn't know what to use I will put up links to where I got the material [when I get there]).

Other note:

the voice amp may not work too well because the respirator seems to be at the same harmonic as my voice, so when I speak it vibrates like crazy and my muffled voice sounds like it has a bad cold

Wishful thinking:

I'm looking into ideas of how to construct a HUD that will be integrated with the lenses I put in, maybe I could sell it to the military or something, hahahahaha :unsure

Later I will combine my HUD lenses with my newly developed night vision lenses, Mwahahahahahahahaha! :lol

Last edited:
Re: NCR Ranger Armor a.k.a. Black Armor Build (prototype)

I am going to start work on the respirator modifications after I get home today after college since I don't work today, expect pictures by 10 pm PST (pacific standard time), possibly earlier.

Now as for actual build, here is the start. What I did is took the 3M mask that I got and took a drill bit that was one size smaller than the diameter of my mic and spun it through by hand, then I shoved the mic in there. Here are some before and afters:

Well, first, here is the respirator I am using
set

set

It's really a voice changer, but it serves the same purpose (plus I can sound bad *** with it)

Before
set

After
set

Here is the mask after I "drilled" the hole in it
set

set

After
set

set

The mic actually fits really snugly in the mask and doesn't seem to leak air, or if it does it's a really small amount. :thumbsup

I would like to note (just in case). The modifications I am making with the mask void the warrenty that the mask will perform it's duties that it was design for by 3M and that I will not hold them accountable for my misuse of the mask and that I will not be using it for such instances that it's original design was intended for including but not limited to: filtering foreign gasses or objects from entering my body via inhilation. Nor do I advocate my modifications as insignificant to the performance of the mask and its intended functions designed by 3M, and by modifying your mask in any way similar to my design or not you agree to hold yourself accountable for misuse of the mask, not 3M or myself.

In other words, don't sue me if you try to mimic me then use it in hazardous environment, where a respirator mask would be required, and get sick or die. :behave

if you like my idea, go ahead and use it, just don't use it as a respirator

Last edited:
Also, I'm not sure what color I should use for the duster, one is Nutmeg, the other is brown, but the brown looks drained of color any opinion would help, the pattern is on it's way so after that comes in I will know how much too buy. If anyone could help before then or tell me a good place near Seattle, Wa or online to get duck cloth that would be great:

heres what I got

Nutmeg:
Nutmeg - Fabric Depot
Brown:
Brown - Fabric Depot

Sorry theres not much in the form of actual progress pictures. I'm in the process of taking apart my two way radio but I'm running into trouble with that

My T-10 star shaped bit is one step too big for the screws holding my radio together and I dont have the smaller size that can actually reach it, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? It would be really helpful...please, anybody? Please?

So, I started soldering wires and mics and stuff together an i got the mic finished and the speaker started. So, I'm almost done with the inside of the mask.
17258-20121018-232051.jpg

17259-20121018-234718.jpg

When suddenly, this happens :cry

17260-20121019-000203.jpg

But don't worry, I'm working on trying to fix it with more solder

Last edited:
Also, I should be getting my pattern tomorrow and the brown duck cloth the next day or the following monday. Hopefully I have enough time to stitch it by halloween.

The respirator w/o the radio will be 100% done in a few days though.

This is looking great so far - I like some of the changes you're making to the design :)
You have my sympathies with the mic wire breaking off at the base though - the same happened to the fan for my NCR mask and even after re-soldering, it never worked again =/
Anyways, looking forward to seeing how the duster and the rest of it goes ^_^

I'm finding it curious that there are so few replies here! Well done so far from what I can see, but I definitely reccommend finding a good picture site or just using the paperclip option on the post reply function here to add attachments. You'll get a lot more help if people can see what you are doing. To keep the mic on, might I reccommend a small cylinder of the same size as the mic cut in two with two drilled holes on top? It would stabilize the wires and keep them from catching at the soldering point. You'd need to re-solder the wires though. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Not sure if the mic will work anymore, but it's holding really well, solder and plastic seem to bond well.

as an update, I got my pattern and duck cloth within a day of each other and going to start working on it now. I'll try to go more in depth for what I do to make the duster if there is anyone else on here that is wanting to make one too.

by the way, I got my fabric from here: https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php?page=ProductPage&pageid=207114

(it's more vibrant a brown than what shows on the picture there)

and I got the pattern from Simplicity: Mens Costumes Costume Sewing Pattern 5386 Simplicity

For those of you as ignorant as I am, this type of pattern is basically a cut out for the thing you are trying to stitch....I'll show you pictures of it to show you what I mean

More bad news, :( I may have fried my board or accidentally crossed circuts with the solder, so I'm going to try unsoldering and re-soldering the whole thing and hopefully that will work.

Sorry I don't have anything new to update with, I'm waiting for the new pc board to come in, should be here tomorrow, and I won't be able to get the duster started till the sowing area is ready for the sowing machine. we still have to sand the floors and more stuff, but thats just our home project

Just to let yall know, I hit some snags with my voice changer/amp and while the floors are being varnished I will not be able to get to the room with the sewing machine for the duster. :( sorry, but the project will be on hold for at least a couple of weeks. Also because I need to catch up on homework and mid-terms soon

Well, this is and has been officially on hiatus as you can see from my lack of work done on it. Unfortunatly it will need to remain on hiatus until summer rolls around, but if I get lucky there will be a few new posts before then...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back