Orange Hoverboard

Yeah I can see your point, Roland. The screen used deck looks pretty yellow to me as well in this screenshot:

Blue.png

The dark tones underneath is what has me thinking the magnet holders are blue. In that shot I also see some fuzzy yellow material, probably for the strap that goes on the footpad.

I'm leaving my colors as is for now. Those who want a lighter colored board have Roland's decals, those who want a darker one have mine.

The biggest problem is that we don't really have "screen images" of the board itself, and that one shot doesn't give me many points of reference to color correct from.

back-future-screen-shot-2012-10-23-11.48.35-pm.png-121509d1351050545

If you look at the overlaid shot above you can see where I got all of my colors from. So while it may not match EVERY orange board that could have existed for the movie, I'm fairly confident that it matches what was on display at Planet Hollywood, which is the board I was trying to replicate.

I'm currently doing my best to try to obtain more pictures to work from, and I would edit the colors at that time, but for now, all the colors match based on the images we have. To change any color would mean I'd have to change them all.

And on the bright side, we have two different options for board colors right now...and a week ago we had zero! It's win-win for all!

-Nick

But really, fair enough. I see Roland's and your modded decals to look pretty spot-on to the Planet Hollywood board which is our only true reference source. There's no real reason there should be a great deal of variation between the PH one and any others that were made.

So if you get some more pics, would you be sharing them with the rest of the builders? :love

So if you get some more pics, would you be sharing them with the rest of the builders? :love

If I can, I will. Most of the people I've reached out to so far don't think they can help out, but we'll see.

...honestly, I'm even trying to talk to people who SAW the orange boards to get the rest of the colors for it. About the only other thing I think I can tell is that it had a yellow foot strap, but that still leaves the foot pad a mystery. Blue maybe?

If I can share though, I will. The originals were all hand made, so finding out what variations, if any, existed would be a huge step forward in our knowledge on these things.

If anyone can put me in contact with someone who would know more, I would really appreciate it as well.

-Nick

I believe the footpad is pink, or flesh coloured. This is a unique footpad, seeing as it has a yellow strap... I don't think it's crazy to assume that it is from the orange board.

bttf2_mattel_USF.jpg

Because of the yellow strap I'm going to be sure to make another component or two in yellow as well. Battery box might have looked weak, but it could look awesome in person. Maybe it should be pink like the footpad.

I couldn't find any green Velcro on my two trips to the craft store where I bought some screen accurate stuff for my pink board. I'll have to be ordering that one methinks.

This stuff looks pretty close. "OD" Green = Olive Drab:

$T2eC16d,!zEE9s3!Y8u0BQNRQo(V)Q~~60_57.JPG

Close but no cigar. Way too wide.

P75-1.jpg

xqHEcl.jpg

I've been looking for Velcro colors, and some are close but not quite there. If you look at the one in the bottom right (juice) it looks close, but not quite orange enough. Perhaps the original was orange and has just seen significantly better days.

You know, I forgot all about that picture...even though I had it as a hidden, reference layer on my file. :facepalm

Here's a quick mockup of that color arrangement:

attachment.php

And then with a darker orange (Which would allow for a better velcro match on the footpad) :

attachment.php

-Nick

I really like it. Nice Photoshopping, Nick. ;)

I know exactly the right material, I can get that fuzzy yellow fabric locally... I saw some yesterday as a matter of fact while I was buying some pink fuzz. They have orange velcro too... total investment should be about $6.50 :love

I better just get my butt back to that Spotlight (craft store) before I move!

How about perforated neoprene for the background? It may cause problems getting the rest of the velcro/decals to stick, but I'm not sure.

I believe the footpad is pink, or flesh coloured. ...

Comparing the two existing pics of orange boards, the colors of the footpad and the orange stripes on the board look very similar. The pictures were made under different lighting conditions and I'm pretty sure, that both materials are exactly the same: 1 inch pale orange velcro strips. Look at the green arrows on my picture below: you can recognize the edges of the velcro. The footpad is 6 inches in diameter and they glued six velcro strips over the whole footpad (or maybe just 2 on the left and 2 on the right side and in the middle is the 2 inches wide foot strap).

So if you want to build the orange Hoverboard, I suggest you to use the same material for the orange stripes and the footpad.

The footpad itself could be a transparent plexiglass. Look at the blue arrow: you can see the decals of the board through the footpad.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've been looking for Velcro colors, and some are close but not quite there. If you look at the one in the bottom right (juice) it looks close, but not quite orange enough. Perhaps the original was orange and has just seen significantly better days.

Juice actually looks pretty close to me, but if you want something a bit darker or more saturated, this seller has over a hundred colors. There are several shades of orange that are a bit darker:

2" Velcro Tape Sew on Hook Loop Roll Strap 20yd 162 Color Choice Black Heavy - Other

Sorry for bumping this thread.

But I have a theory that you guys may very well be over complicating some of the replication with the orange board.

What I mean is the color matching. On first glance it looked to me like the board was just a hue shifted pink board, as the colors looked very off putting to be a design choice.

It was almost like that vibe you get when you see a picture that has had it's colors inverted. Where you can just tell it wasn't purposeful/natural.

So off I went to photoshop. If you take Rolands brilliant pink board files and hue shift it, when you reach a correct color, the rest of the colors match in relative to the one you shifted to. This happens on pretty much everything apart from the "hoverboard" logo and "Mattel" logos.

Given red is part of Mattel's logo, it looks like they simply corrected that.

As for the "Hover board" text. It looks to me like they just chose the hue adjusted green from the stripes on the bottom.

Here's how it looks in my quick test with nothing done beyond the hue change:

or1n4w.jpg

Given that all the colors pretty much match in relation to one another with a simple hue change, I think it's a safe bet that this is what they started with.

Attachments

• or1n4w.png
    or1n4w.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Going back to my previous post's theory I have attempted this more accurately, and have done the following to Roland's original Pink Hero PDF:

- Chosen a base orange for the edge of the board based on TheNickFox's graphic and a sample from overexposed/flashed prop images of the real board.
- Hue changed Roland's Hero graphics to make the edges match the base orange choice.
- Put the original Mattel logo color back in from Roland's work.
- Changed the "Hover Board" text color to match the darker stripes on the bottom of the board.
- Replicated Nick's dots for use in Photoshop as a pattern.
- Sampled a color from the prop image for use as the dot backing (color chosen between the brightest and darkest area to get a more accurate color choice based on available lighting).

Keep in mind this is pretty rough at the moment and I plan on working on one or two of the colors a little more.
It'd need cleaning up before use too, but this is what I have so far:

ddkun7.jpg

I will wait until I feel I've done all I can before making a modified version with Nick's changes to the design.

Last edited:
Sorry to triple post, but I felt putting all of this in my first reply would start getting cluttered looking.

I've just spent some time figuring out plausible magnet colors.

By placing the magnets with a piece of pink from the strips they sat next to, and doing the hue change trick till the pink matched the pale orange, I arrived at something that seems to fit closely with how the colors are just shades of the main colors (as seen on the pink hoverboard).

k3u78j.png

So thus far my suggestions would be:

i5chgp.png

Take these with pinch of salt however, as I grabbed the magnets from a rough cut out of the MattyCollector hoverboard.
Though the colors would still be roughly similar shades of what I arrived at.

Glad to see this is still going! What I love about this board, is with so few references to go by, we can all have our interpretations to get closer to OUR own ideal Hoverboard.

I have my own theories about some of the colors that due to the overexposed nature of the photos are nearly impossible to verify, that's why it's great to see other people's takes on it as well. Since it was 88 when they made the film, I'm not sure they would have had any hue shifting available to them, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a similar photochemical process that got us to the orange board.

So, it's looking great, Ben. Can't wait to see further progress!

-Nick

So, it's looking great, Ben. Can't wait to see further progress!

-Nick

So I've been working some more at this over the last few days. Based on my previous theory and some compensation here and there for the exposure, I have finally completed my version of the orange hoverboard (some colors have changed slightly!).

I also created a modified version based on your edits to the top of the board. When recreating your changes, I opted to keep the width of each strip the same size, and resized Roland's Mattel logo, rather than modify it beyond that.

As you say, it's cool that everyone can have a go at this sort of thing. Variety gives people more choice, and choice is always a good thing.

Without further adieu:

MooseBoard A:
While this has a ton of edits, the positioning and location of the design's shapes remain the same as Roland's work (the Pink hoverboard).
ndr79j.png

MooseBoard B:
The same as MooseBoard A, except the top of the board has been modified to resemble some changes made by Nick Fox's version.
e13ons.png

I also decided to replicate the surface material slightly (as Roland did with his faux lenticular), by adding a slight bevel to the "holes":
fw0ztf.png

A cool thing I have begun to love about the orange hoverboard, is that (as said by another user in this thread) the surface material is more yellow than one tends to think on first glance. It's the collection of dots/holes that mix with the yellow, making it look more orange.

Full size PDF files coming soon.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back