Red Dwarf is Back!!!! Discussion thread

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys! HUGE Red Dwarf fan here and yesterday the show came back!

I'm just about to watch the first episode now. How exciting! :D

No fair it isn't on in the US and sadly i wouldn't' get to see it as my tv doesn't' get BBC america if they were showing it. I was also told that unwrapping the 9 seasons i got my dad for xmas is a no no too lol.

No fair it isn't on in the US and sadly i wouldn't' get to see it as my tv doesn't' get BBC america if they were showing it. I was also told that unwrapping the 9 seasons i got my dad for xmas is a no no too lol.

Oh man that sucks. Also, it's not a BBC program anymore, it airs on Dave.

Just finished watching the first episode. Not great, but certainly not bad. I have no doubt they'll get back into the swing of things. :)

The Good:

The ship model looks GREAT. It's the classic "stubby" Red Dwarf we remember from the earlier seasons and it was great seeing it back on the screen. the model builders did a fantastic job.

The characters still work. There were a few oddities that I'll mention later but Cat in particular looks like he hasn't aged a day. There were some genuinely funny interactions between them and it was nice to see them back on TV. :D

They didn't try and explain things. I was worried we'd have a full episode of explaining why Kochanski wasn't there and why Rimmer was a hologram again and why the rest of the crew was gone but instead they got right into things as if the last two seasons didn't exist. THIS IS A GOOD THING. It's Red Dwarf, we don't need explanation. Which leads me to the best thing...

They're back to the original premise! I didn't mind the episodes with Kochanski, I didn't mind when the crew was resurrected. However the show changed and just wasn't as good. I prefer a Lister that never asked Kochanski out and regrets it for life. I prefer these guys being the last folks out there representing our race trying to get home.

For the most part the sets look great. I was worried but they seemed to fit what Red Dwarf is supposed to be quite well.

The Not So Good:

I'm not going to call this "The Bad" because I don't think it is. There is however some things I noticed that made it feel a little off.

Kryten. He looks really off. I heard a lot of people complaining about Kryten looking weird in the trailer but he looks even weirder on the show and as an owner of a production made Latex Kryten head I can tell you it's not the sculpt. Clearly Lywellyn has gained weight in his face & neck and it really shows. I'm not one to throw stones and I'm sure I'll get used to it but at the moment he looks really off.

Someone needs to get Craig Charles a throat lozenge. I know that's how he sounds now and it's not bad he just almost sounds like a Lister impersonator. His comedic timing was bang on, it's the same character, it's just another thing I'll have to get used to.

Rimmer's "H" seemed a little low & small. Nitpicky I know. :lol

Lastly although the sets look great everything is just a little too polished. It seems to be missing a bit of the camp that made it great back in the day. Overall not a big issue but the place I notice it the most is with the computer screens. Lots of polished fany graphics in them that look out of place for these guys.

I thought Dave was part of the BBC. Lywellyn might lose weight too as time goes on. What happened to Craig Charles voice? I hope they put this on DVD as i doubt PBS'll get it.

SO! This episode was fun. Had some good moments and I'm really looking forward to where they take things this season!

I had a good chuckle when they all got into their new uniforms. :lol

I thought Dave was part of the BBC. Lywellyn might lose weight too as time goes on. What happened to Craig Charles voice? I hope they put this on DVD as i doubt PBS'll get it.

If you watch the BTE specials his voice is just a little more gravelly than it was. I think he smokes so that may be the cause.

Also though, REALLY miss Holly. Obviously I'd prefer Norman back but I'd take Hattie. I think the ship is a little more empty without Holly there. :)

If you watch the BTE specials his voice is just a little more gravelly than it was. I think he smokes so that may be the cause.

Also though, REALLY miss Holly. Obviously I'd prefer Norman back but I'd take Hattie. I think the ship is a little more empty without Holly there. :)

I think he does smoke and he isn't as young as he used to be. Yeah you'd thin they'd have her back as Holly. Maybe they're working on it. They'll get the kinks out, the original season had some shows that weren't as good as the rest either.

I think he does smoke and he isn't as young as he used to be. Yeah you'd thin they'd have her back as Holly. Maybe they're working on it. They'll get the kinks out, the original season had some shows that weren't as good as the rest either.

I've said it before I'll say it again: Any Red Dwarf is better than no Red Dwarf!

:D

I saw it and was just THRILLED with it! I couldn't believe how they all slipped back into their characters so well, even after all these years. I was cracking up! I loved the bit about the moose in Sweden, and the hilarious facial contortion for being clogged up with resentment. Brilliant!

I can't tell you how happy it made me to see them back in form. I had no problem with Kryton or their having aged... didn't bother me one bit. It's smegging wonderful!

The facial expression definitely harkened back to the camp we all know & love in the original series. :thumbsup The moose thing was great when Rimmer kept asking the question! :lol

Kryten's neck & head still bug me but it's minor. Watched it again and found it even funnier the second time. :)

Better than anything after S6, though it needed the run-up of the 3-parter, so that's slightly forgiven.

Miss Holly, for sure. Nice for Petersen to get a nod (now he's done with Dr Who, would be great if a way could be found for him to have an appearance), not a fan of the various interior redesigns, and the motion graphics and playback could be toned down but hey, it works 'all right'.

I get that this is an ensemble, but a good bit of it felt too much like they were trying to give everyone their due in scenes. Got to nip that and not wait to go 'round in circles to get on with the scenes.

I get that this is an ensemble, but a good bit of it felt too much like they were trying to give everyone their due in scenes. Got to nip that and not wait to go 'round in circles to get on with the scenes.

I think that will balance out. This episode was a bit of everyone for the fans. :)

Definitely liked the Petersen nod as well. :thumbsup

HANDS DOWN the funniest part of this episode was when Rimmer says "I think we all know the answer to that" and it cuts to the TROJAN being towed and them walking down the hallway. Love it. :D

Just watched it too. I thought it was very good. Much better than the last episodes that I remember. Here's a shot of the close up model we made for the series...

9219565.jpeg

The original RD wasn't quite up to the HD close-ups...not after all these years.

N

Last edited:
Watched it this morning and loved it!

Cat is EXACTLY the way he was, Lister was spot on but has lost a little of his scouse accent but that happens when you have to work in horrid Manchester ;) Rimmer is still spot on with his timings and rants...its Red Dwarf again!

Kryten was spot on too, his neck is a little bigger as Orange said, but he is aging :)

Orange, is it made from the production moulds(the kryten mask)?

Just watched it too. I thought it was very good. Much better than the last episodes that I remember. Here's a shot of the close up model we made for the series...

The original RD wasn't quite up to the HD close-ups...not after all these years.

N

Yikes! YOU did that? FABULOUS job! It really helps to keep the series as relevent as it used to be. Beautiful detail work! A big Thanks from all us Red Dwarf fans!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back