Quint's hat from Jaws

CrowTeeRobot

I'm trying to find a source where I can get an original or replica style of Quint's hat from Jaws.

jaws-robert-shaw11.jpg

jaws1.jpg

At first I thought it was just a basic military baseball style cap, but that seam down the middle and the pockets are too unique, and I couldn't find any that style. Then, thanks to some lucky google image searching, I managed to find these pictures on militaryheadgear.com

U.S. Navy Sailor's Baseball Cap, WWII

U.S._Navy_Sailor's_Baseball_Cap,_WWII.jpg

The page says it's a "U.S. NAVY SAILOR'S BASEBALL CAP, WWII", but I can't seem to track down any replicas or similar hats, not even using image search.

I'm wondering if any of you wise folk might know where or how I might find one of these? It's just such a neat and distinctive hat, I'd love to be able to own one, as I'm sure some other folks might like to as well.

Alright, through some more searching, I had no luck on any military surplus sites, but did find an ebay seller who makes replicas called "WW2 US NAVY B.A-2 Flying Ball Cap 57-61 ( Plain Green HBT )"

GSPT04001.jpg

GSPT04006.jpg

The hat looks amost exactly the same, except it has no pockets across the front above the brim and the bill looks a bit too long.

Now, what I think I'll do is buy one of these hats and then take it apart, using it as a pattern, and then I'll sew a brand new one using some OD canvas or cotton. That way I'll have complete control over how accurate I can get it.

In the long run, if I'm successful, I think I may try making up a bunch of these if anyone is interested, but that's a ways down the road.

Luke, the same ebay seller has a Short brim version.
its pretty much spot on aside from too many stiches on the brim.
I don't believe Quint's hat actually has any pockets across the front, I think its just wear and discoloration from the underneath structure of the hat itself.
I have one of the above Ebay Reproductions, and an original WWI navy cap that doesn't have quite the same stitching, and after wearing the real Navy cap day after day doing automotive work and sweating in it and what not, it is actually starting to wear very similarly to Quint's Screen Used

-corey

Hi. Any updates on this? I would happily purchase one of these for a costume I'm putting together. I found the seller on ebay but couldn't find the short brim version.

I got that Heddels hat...cost me a pretty penny ($150 canadian)...kind of wish it was movie accurate at that price (no strap in the back). I figured I would never find a better one with the 2 front pockets.

Joel, did you get yours already? I ordered one Monday but it's not due for delivery until Thursday.

Mine showed up today! Actually, it probably showed up on Friday, but due to Veteran's Day, the Post Office was closed...

Anyway, it's a very fine hat, if a bit snug. I take a 7 1/2 (just like Bullwinkle) and even with the back strap opened up, it's pretty tight. Mine is numbered 48 but I don't know if that means I was really order number 48, or they just grabbed a random certificate and it's what I ended up with.

Mine was $89 shipped. It's pricey, but considering there's only a run of 100 of these and tracking down a real, vintage one would be a pain in the butt, I'm fine with it.

Now I just have to find the correct jacket... Actually, there are a few Army surplus stores in town I can try before doing an internet search. I'm curious to see how long it takes for the hats to sell out.

Quint%20cap_zpstlikbdin.jpg

Quint%20cap%20me_zpsceyk4wtv.jpg

Yeah, there is no way a guy who wears a size 8 1/4 hat is getting this on their head without it looking like a yarmulke. Mine is wearable, but very tight.

Because I only intend this as a costume, it's fine. However, if someone with a big head wanted to wear it for extended periods as an everyday hat, they might have issues.

In the mid '70s, I had a bunch of the exact caps worn by Shaw. I wore them for years. My local army/navy store carried them, although they were NOT military surplus caps; they were manufactured by Otto International, which still exists. That exact model with the little pocket in front, alas has been unavailable for years. It's a 4- or 5-panel camper style cap.

Thanks for the info, Probe -- I never heard of a camper style cap before. Based on my Google search, I totally see the Quint in there. All this time, I assumed it was an Army or Navy-issue cap.

Someone had the style jacket for sale in the junkyard a few months ago.

Thanks for the tip! I want to try one on in person so will try a surplus store first...

Mtpalin, how does yours fit -- is it big enough? And can you post photos? Mine does look green-ish in person. I'll pop in the Blu-ray at some point and do a comparison.

I'm not home to take a pic now, but I can say that the sizing seems to run small. It fits my head but is really snug (I'm a 7 1/2 too).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back