don Post studios is no more.

I remember drooling over their full page ads in Fantastic Films etc......gazing in wonder at the wolves, aliens and the facehugger......

Wow, sad indeed....

Rich

Indeed, I would go to our local craft store and stare at the epic coolness of the face hugger, stormtroopers and vader masks on the 'top shelf' behind the counter in the back of the store. It really was my first encounter with a replica prop and ignited and fueled an obsession that still consumes me to this day. r.i.p. Don post studios.

OK I guess I'm an idiot (or just out of touch)... I didn't know D.P. had STILL been in business over the years! I remember seeing his masks in Fangoria magazine when I was in high school (no, I won't say which decade lol)

I think a lot of us wouldn't have the passion for props, costuming, etc. if it weren't for companies like Don Post. While they may have missed the mark with some stuff (seriously - their Pinhead mask is a joke), the fact that they gave us a chance to be a character we'd seen on the big screen makes them an important contribution. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate to fill the void.

I also find it humorous that in 2012, they still sent out paper catalogs rather than having a website.

I used to stand in front of the counter and gaze up at all the alien, creature, and monster masks every halloween. And then at the Star Wars masks and helmets on the top shelf and how badly I wanted one.

When I was a teenager, my Mom & Dad bought me my 1st Don Post Mask for my birthday -a Boba Fett helmet! I was ecstatic! I still have it in the original Don Post box too. One of my favorite memories!

That's really the legacy of Don Post -cool masks and great memories.

For mask collectors the stuff was top notch AND it was made here instead of being shopped out to different companies. They were the only place to get good thick latex masks. I have a feeling that the people saying they are horrible are way younger than us that like them. lol

I'm almost 35. I remember pouring for hours over that section of my Morris Costumes catalog when I was in my early teens.

Don Posts stuff from the 21st century may be crap, but you younger people fail to see their glory days from the 60's 70's and 80's. They made quality masks that would rival collectors masks today, meaning the quality of regular Halloween masks has declined.

But back in that time they produced amazing quality masks and they were accurate, such as their calendar masks of the Universal monsters. They were spot on for the actor's, in make up, likeness. They also produced a lot of original designs in the 70's and 80's. They were all hand made in the U.S. Thick good casting done in black and stipple painted.

Don Post was the first to produce Latex Halloween masks back in 1939, Post died in 1979 and Don Post Jr. took over. The quality of Posts masks declined in the 1990's when production shifted to China. But the masks made earlier in the U.S. were THE go to masks at the time. Don Post created the latex mask and look at how far that expanded and how many companies and independent artists have come about since then. Don Post is the biggest name in the Halloween mask hobby. Im a huge collector of Halloween masks and I own 9 of their masks. All of them are the vintage 70's originals/1998 calendar Reissues. I will say their more recent stuff is junk due to the fact they were bought out by Paper Magic Group back in 2000. That's when the quality went to junk

Edit: With out Don Post there would be no Michael Myers as we see today. Actually with out Don Post, masks would totally be non existent.

In 1939 a guy named Don Post opened up the first company to produce latex masks. Their first line of masks were based on dictators from that time, such as Hitler. They moved on to monster masks. Their masks started out as 3/4 masks then later moved to full head. It wasn't till the 60's when Post Studios success took off. Post Teamed up with Vern Langdon to produce new monster masks with the likness from the Universal films. They were sculpted by Pat Newman. The line was released as the Hollywood Horrors in 1963. A year later the line was retooled and released as the Universal Horrors. In 1966 Vern Langdon had full color professional photographs of the masks. A publisher saw them and he wanted to do something with them. Vern joked about a calendar but the publisher like the idea. A monster representing each month out of the year. That is where the nickname "Calendar masks" cam from. These masks were extremely popular and sold well. Post also released a cheaper line of the same masks. They had sculpted hair and were casted in vinyl. They were the 800 line of masks.

In the 1970's Post's contract with Universal expired. Instead of renewing it, they released their original takes on the monsters. They also released a ton of original designs along with acquiring new licenses such as Star Wars and Star Trek. The 1975 Captain Kirk mask was used in the movie Halloween. It had its facial hair removed and the face spray painted white by the make up effects artist for the film, Tommy Lee Wallace. Don Post died in 1979 and Don Post Jr. took over.

The 80's mostly brought about original designs. 1983 brought a bout a new movie that featured 3 Post masks, a witch, skull and pumpkin. The skull was an existing mask that was released in 1967. The witch was released in 1981 as Hagetha and the pumpkin was specially sculpted just for the film.

1998 saw the return of the Calendar masks, they were casted SUPER thick and were made for the collector. They were the last set of masks to be made here in the U.S.

Last edited:
As a kid, whenever I got my latest issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland, I turn to the back pages to look for the Don Post ad. Sorry to see them go.

I had one of their Darth Vader plastic helmets back in the late 80's and their Stormtroopers helmet and I thought I had the best props out at the time. Although the helmets today are to notch the old Don Post ones still bring hold fond memories. I remember a good mate and I both wore the Vader and Stormtrooper helmets to a rave party and everybody thought we were so cool LOL. Long live Don Post Studios and thanks for all your cool stuff.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back