Red Hood Helmet W.I.P.

Sisko4

I started this as a Commission 2 Weeks ago.

Regular Pepakura Work with intense Bondo and Rondo Madness.

Thirst i fiberglased the Pep-Helmet, than added one Layer of Bondo with a Brush.

Sanded that down and made the Edges more smooth and round.
Added 3 other Layers of Bondo, every Step with Sanding Paper Grid 40 to 60.

As it was nearly perfect round, i added 3 Layers of Rondo, the middle Layer with pigmented Bondo.

After that 3 Layers, i added one Bondo Layer with my Hands, to get it smooth and fill all the little Holes that are left.
I made this Step 2 Times.
Than added fine Body Filler, sanded it down with 100, 120, 180 and higher to get it smooth as Glas.

This is the final Product that came out:

red_hood_master_positive_by_sisko4-d5bebu2.jpg

I don´t added much Primer, because it was molded anyway and it was already smooth. There may be some tiny Spots, but they are only visible if you search for them.

I would say it´s one of my best and smoothest Helmets yet, 99% perfect Smoothness.

Right now i am molding it with Rebound 25.

Another one of my red hood peps completed. Nice bondo work. It looks really smooth. Can't wait to see the finished helmet.

I would rather say Thx for being such a awesome Unfolder ;-)

Mothermold can be made on Sunday, need to make more Keys first.

that looks so smooth. Do you plan on putting lens in?

Yes and No, depends on the Client and the Casts for me.
With this Helmet Design, you can do near anything than just Red Hood.
Maybe i cast one with Urethane, that can work with Chroming-Acid.

That looks awesome. Mine doesnt look nearly as good as yours but by adding white mesh you can still see and it keeps the air flowing. I wore mine at comic-con and I couldn't even imagine how hot it would be with the eyes not supplying some air.

I think my and most people think my modeling skills are better then my unfolding skills.

Oh, yeah, right, that Helmets aren´t modeling themselfs^^

Wasn´t the last File i buy from you, worth every Cent.

@justinaalt: Thought of that too, i also maybe trying Kevlar if i can get it somewhere.

And what the Grey Fox Style belongs...(be quiet, that Helmet is not finished yet)^^

A little Update, before i upload the Pictures:

The Mold and Mothermold are done.
But...the first Cast came out a little..."bumpy"...

I have 2 Reasons, why this happened.

1st:

I used SC325 for Slushcasting. Big Fail. Never gonna use it again, i had to reinforce it with Fiberglas. The Resin sucked the Keys and other Places IN the Helmet.
Okay, it was not THAT bad, but i had to spend a whole Day and a Half in Bondo-Work, also i mixed Metalpowder in it for a thicker Resin...Fail Nr. 2...the tiny Holes i got after Sanding are a Horror...

2nd: The Temperature we have here at the Moment.
They are 32°C in the Shadow and near 38°C in direct Sunlight.

I should have stayed at SC320 or my regular Casting Resin, wich works great for plain Surfaces.

A little Work is always needed, but i hope the 2nd Cast let it be a Minimum.
I also may need to Cut the Key-Holes on the Mothermold, tryed new Keys, smaller and a more Egg-Like Form...meh....

When i lay the Mold in the Mothermold, everything is smooth.
The MM creates a Sort of Vakuum, where unkeyed Places are also smooth.
Look for yourself after the Upload.

Here are 2 Pictures before the Helmet has been painted like in the Movie:

As you can see, the SmoothCast 325 doesn´t works good as a Casting Resin for Slushcasting, also i added some Metal-Powder for a thicker Resin.
It sucked the Keys out and added some Bumps on other Places too.

3 Days of Bondo Work after.

Looking good. You got a very smooth surface there. I built one my self as well but made the nose ridge a bit more pronounced. I need to make it again though cuz i feel its too big.

Keep us posted :thumbsup

Looking good. You got a very smooth surface there. I built one my self as well but made the nose ridge a bit more pronounced. I need to make it again though cuz i feel its too big.

Keep us posted :thumbsup

I had the same Feeling too, i thougt i made it bigger as it should be, but it has the correct Size.

Things with dark Colors look smaller and with bright Colors bigger, only an optical Illusion. I can get my Head trough with a few Millimeters of Space to the Helmet Edges.

Gorgeous!! Can't wait to start mine. Waht paint color did you use? I've seen several and they have different finishes and slightly different collors. I'm trying to decide what I like best. The "Under the Red Hood" version is what I'll be doing.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back