eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

Related to the price: you have to take investments into the equation: development time and money, prototyping, moulds, etc. What to think of the license fee? And of course their profit! Only if they would produce hundreds of thousands AND if they could sell them, the investment would be a smaller margin of the price.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Related to the price: you have to take investments into the equation: development time and money, prototyping, moulds, etc. What to think of the license fee? And of course their profit! Only if they would produce hundreds of thousands AND if they could sell them, the investment would be a smaller margin of the price.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Licensing is already factored into the company as a whole. Creating the molds from a pre-existing one that was used for the films should have cut and "development" time than the replicas they have to produce completely from scratch.

This is really just priced soley on the fact that it originates from a partial screen used movie mold, and that no one else has that kind of access, so they're going to profit. Just like every licensed vader helmet is sold at the *low* price of $1000+

Why? Cause of it's name, nothing else.

People forget that these replicas are produced in mass outside of the US to save them money. So what we're paying for these, i.e., $699 not even including taxes and shipping, is more than likely 3-4 times as much as it actually cost that efx is paying per unit to be made.

We've got many fans producing high quality casts from movie-molds for Jango Fett, and helmets that originate from the original Boba helmets, and those on average are $250-$300 for a kit.

It's just about taking advantage of the name for profit.

Of course. They need to eat something too, you know. I think it is great to do what you like and get paid for that, is it not?
But is it a high profit? I don't think so. Otherwise Master Replicas would still be a very successful company and woudn't cease to exist.
And at the end, it is your choice. You can either buy what they offer or just walk away.

Licensing is already factored into the company as a whole. Creating the molds from a pre-existing one that was used for the films should have cut and "development" time than the replicas they have to produce completely from scratch.

This is really just priced soley on the fact that it originates from a partial screen used movie mold, and that no one else has that kind of access, so they're going to profit. Just like every licensed vader helmet is sold at the *low* price of $1000+

People forget that these replicas are produced in mass outside of the US to save them money. So what we're paying for these, i.e., $699 not even including taxes and shipping, is more than likely 3-4 times as much as it actually cost that efx is paying per unit to be made.

We've got many fans producing high quality casts from movie-molds for Jango Fett, and helmets that originate from the original Boba helmets, and those on average are $250-$300 for a kit.

:lol

Do you realize how absurd that argument sounds?

You are basically arguing "how dare eFX charge for a world-recognized brand that is a household name and the most well know characters in history!"

That is like saying "How dare Tom Cruise charge X million dollars for a movie. He is only doing it because he is Tom Cruise!"

OF COURSE they are charging more because it is from original molds. OF COURSE they are charging more because they have access and you don't. That is the whole point and it isn't a bad or evil thing. It is the basis of the value of EVERYTHING; scarcity.

You are arguing against a business being... well, a business! The basis of business is creating a product or service and selling it for more than you paid for it. As a business, if you don't that, then you are a charity or a failure.

I mean, seriously... what do you expect? Do you think because eFX pays a fraction of the retail price to have these produced that they should charge you that price? Come on now...

Nothing wrong with a profit my friend. The more profit, the more stuff we get from EFX. Simple. I like to get paid for my time and I'm sure EFX does too.

Just move on if the value isn't there for you.

Don't have a cow.

:lol

Do you realize how absurd that argument sounds?

You are basically arguing "how dare eFX charge for a world-recognized brand that is a household name and the most well know characters in history!"

That is like saying "How dare Tom Cruise charge X million dollars for a movie. He is only doing it because he is Tom Cruise!"

OF COURSE they are charging more because it is from original molds. OF COURSE they are charging more because they have access and you don't. That is the whole point and it isn't a bad or evil thing. It is the basis of the value of EVERYTHING; scarcity.

You are arguing against a business being... well, a business! The basis of business is creating a product or service and selling it for more than you paid for it. As a business, if you don't that, then you are a charity or a failure.

I mean, seriously... what do you expect? Do you think because eFX pays a fraction of the retail price to have these produced that they should charge you that price? Come on now...

And spending $700 on a scoutrooper helmet doesn't sound absurd? :p

Creating the molds from a pre-existing one that was used for the films should have cut and "development" time than the replicas they have to produce completely from scratch.

The original helmets were vacuformed. EFX was provided with access to a screen used helmet, as well as the wood forms used to make the filming helmets. As eFX has decided to render their replicas in FG, there is significant work involved to make molds (plural) for that purpose. Also, if eFX didn't have that access, this helmet would be little better than any fan-based helmet available. For a collector, that pedigree is easily worth this markup.

This is really just priced soley on the fact that it originates from a partial screen used movie mold, and that no one else has that kind of access, so they're going to profit.

I'd guess eFX considered many other factors in developing their pricing model for the Scout Trooper replica.

Just like every licensed vader helmet is sold at the *low* price of $1000+ Why? Cause of it's name, nothing else.

It's possible this pre-dates your involvement in the hobby, but in 2002 a quality fan-made Vader helmet - without any verifiable pedigree to speak of - easily went for $1K. And, I would know because I acquired both an ANH - VMO2 ($1000) and an ESB - CKing ($1,300). And they were worth every penny to me back then. The licensed, more or less direct-from-screen-used-molds, Vader that eFX produced IS A BARGAIN. To be blunt, as well as a little fanboy, I couldn't justify NOT buying one.

As long as the product meets quality control, that's up to eFX. The economy is now global and that toothpaste isn't going back in the tube any time soon. Candidly, if eFX chose to have these made domestically, I'd pay the extra - but make no mistake, the cost would go up.

As Art said, that's what marketing and business are all about.

And spending $700 on a scoutrooper helmet doesn't sound absurd? :p

On a screen-accurate (shape) Scout Trooper replica helmet? Not to me. I'd rather it was vacuformed, but that's another post.

There is a hamburger here in Vegas that costs $5,000... so no, $700 for a piece of my childhood, made off the original bucks doesn't seem that insane to me.

$5000 Hamburger at Fleur Las Vegas - Hubert Keller’s $5000 Hamburger - Delish.com

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware we're justifying the cost of replica props to a burger that cost more than an average decent Vader costume would. I'm glad you've got the money to blow on something so expensive. I guess I hold the value of my money at a higher price than those with too much money on their hands know what to do with.

But hey, not all of us are as fortunate

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with a profit my friend. The more profit, the more stuff we get from EFX. Simple. I like to get paid for my time and I'm sure EFX does too.

Just move on if the value isn't there for you.

Don't have a cow.

No, I get needing a "profit." I'm pretty sure they'd make a good profit for a lower price.

You say "the more profit, the more stuff we get from EFX."

Now let me ask you then, how much of EFX's products can you afford? It seems that you and Art are in the same percentage that can simply throw money at it without much issue.

Cleary, in a failed effort to be funny, I have muddied the waters. The point being that there are plenty of things with a markup, many with a much much higher markup than this helmet, but they are still being bought. Why? Because the buyer sees more value in the finished item than simply the value of the resin, fiberglass mesh and paint that went in to creating them. There is an sentimental value in these pieces that has almost nothing to do with what they are as much as what they represent.

Any good business will charge as much as it thinks the buyer will endure... not the minimum margin above cost. As eFX sells out of just about everything (those $1000+ Vader helmets you were complaining about sold out in minutes, LITERALLY) they offer, I'd say are on the nose if not a little under what they should be pricing their product because there are plenty of people lining up to purchase at the price they are setting.

No, I get needing a "profit." I'm pretty sure they'd make a good profit for a lower price.

That is like me saying "I am pretty sure you'd do just fine getting a smaller paycheck." Cost of R&D. Cost of licensing. Cost of marketing. Cost of shipping. Cost. Cost. Cost. Lowering the price only does ONE thing; lowers the money eFX makes from their products. If it were you on the other end, would you be willing to bring home a smaller check to your family just because some random person on the internet was "pretty sure you made a good profit?" You are just blindly making statements that would have very real world consequences.

Now let me ask you then, how much of EFX's products can you afford? It seems that you and Art are in the same percentage that can simply throw money at it without much issue.

How much of eFX's products can I afford? None! I would love to get a biker scout, but I am not because I don't have the money to get it. But just because I don't have the money doesn't mean that eFX is evil or that their pricing scheme is insane or that I think they should lower their price just for me. Is $700 a lot of money? Heck yes! Is it too much money for a biker scout? No. Do I have it? No. Does whether or not I have it change the value of the helmet? No.

The original helmets were vacuformed. EFX was provided with access to a screen used helmet, as well as the wood forms used to make the filming helmets. As eFX has decided to render their replicas in FG, there is significant work involved to make molds (plural) for that purpose. Also, if eFX didn't have that access, this helmet would be little better than any fan-based helmet available. For a collector, that pedigree is easily worth this markup.

Yep, I am aware of how the screen used ones were made. Even got to see one screen used scout helmet in person. The fact that they went about using fiberglass suggests that the wood bucks were 3D scanned, made "whole" and master molds were produced from there.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say there's been a lot more quality and accuracy with fan-made items, some of which with the TKs, originate from movie-used suits. The logic that licensed replicas would be a higher pedigree as you put is a flawed logic. I have this debate with a co-worker often who argues that a Rubies TK should be 501st approved because it's licensed. There's a reason LFL/Disney asks the 501st to march in their parades and why their TK's aren't the Rubies $1000 craptacular spectacle.

I'm not saying the quality and accuracy is not there with their products, but I remember MR having issues, between the "idealized" stormtrooper and the Boba Fett helmet, in which they not only scanned the wrong helmet for it's intended version, but somehow, someone approved to let that "pinch" in the mandible to fly.

I'd guess eFX considered many other factors in developing their pricing model for the Scout Trooper replica.

Possibly, but when you see the cost of this compared to their past helmet products, I have to question why.

It's possible this pre-dates your involvement in the hobby, but in 2002 a quality fan-made Vader helmet - without any verifiable pedigree to speak of - easily went for $1K. And, I would know because I acquired both an ANH - VMO2 ($1000) and an ESB - CKing ($1,300). And they were worth every penny to me back then. The licensed, more or less direct-from-screen-used-molds, Vader that eFX produced IS A BARGAIN. To be blunt, as well as a little fanboy, I couldn't justify NOT buying one.

You're right, I didn't get into this hobby till about 2004-2005. I started out naive and bought a rubies jango fett helmet when I was about 13. I was extremely dissapointed with the stupid thing which prompted me to find TDH, and research from there on acquiring a more movie-accurate helmet. At the time, a BKBT was the best of the best for Jango helmets. I saved up all $275 I needed to buy that helmet kit. And I did. It was the best thing I had owned a that point in time.

As for Vaders, yes, I have researched into them as I was planning to build a suit for myself. It's ***** expensive. I question the prices on a lot of the parts because I see much more complex sculpting and tooling of various props that sell for significantly less than a Vader would, hence, why I believe that the fact it's "vader" is what makes people mark it up. When CSMclauren and bookface were offering FINISHED vader helmets around the $350 range, that's when I saw for a fact that there's no reason for anyone to spend on a $1000+ helmet. Ok, I got it, some of them are rarer and have a particular history that make them worth more. That's fine. But when I see that I may need to spend upwards of $500 for just the collar armor, I really question the value, where I can purchase a set of armor to make a nearly complete costume for the same cost it would for just one piece of a vader costume.

As long as the product meets quality control, that's up to eFX. The economy is now global and that toothpaste isn't going back in the tube any time soon. Candidly, if eFX chose to have these made domestically, I'd pay the extra - but make no mistake, the cost would go up.

Of course it would go up.

As Art said, that's what marketing and business are all about.

Then I choose to sell a burger for $5,001, to make it more exclusive and there will only be two in existence. *LIMITED EDITION*

On a screen-accurate (shape) Scout Trooper replica helmet? Not to me. I'd rather it was vacuformed, but that's another post.

This. this x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

It can be "accurate" in shape and form, but it's fiberglass. Not how the originals were made. But you know what? Just as EFX did w/ the TK's, I can see them coming out with a vacuum form version for the "econo-friendly" poor folks like me. If that happens, I'll end up purchasing one because
A) It will significantly cheaper
B) It'll be much more movie accurate

Cleary, in a failed effort to be funny, I have muddied the waters. The point being that there are plenty of things with a markup, many with a much much higher markup than this helmet, but they are still being bought. Why? Because the buyer sees more value in the finished item than simply the value of the resin, fiberglass mesh and paint that went in to creating them. There is an sentimental value in these pieces that has almost nothing to do with what they are as much as what they represent.

Any good business will charge as much as it thinks the buyer will endure... not the minimum margin above cost. As eFX sells out of just about everything (those $1000+ Vader helmets you were complaining about sold out in minutes, LITERALLY) they offer, I'd say are on the nose if not a little under what they should be pricing their product because there are plenty of people lining up to purchase at the price they are setting.

I started out this whole debate as my opinion. I can have fun with this all day honestly.

As for the vader helmet's selling out in minutes, how many of those ended up right on ebay following the orders at even higher prices?

It reminds me of the NECA Portal gun prop they came out with. I wanted that damn thing so bad that I stuck out waiting for it to come on pre-order. Wait, what? Limited edition? I missed the first pre-order as people were ordering more then a few. But what did I see? Oh, look at all these NECA portal guns on Ebay, people wanting upwards of $900+. The retail? $150. Then they came out with the other version, one of which I finally got. I saw the exact same thing; people were buy multiples of these replicas just to re-sell at higher prices on ebay.

Another thing to consider, how many of these "collectors" aren't actually collectors, but store/business owners looking to stock their shelves with these products?

As for the vader helmet's selling out in minutes, how many of those ended up right on ebay following the orders at even higher prices?

Another thing to consider, how many of these "collectors" aren't actually collectors, but store/business owners looking to stock their shelves with these products?

In all your angst, I have lost your point, because my answer to both questions is "So what?" Yes, there are people out there who will buy limited edition items and turn around and sell them for a profit. Yes, there are distributors who will buy at wholesale and then sell them retail. What does that have to do at all with the question at hand or the price-point at which eFX is selling the helmets?

That is like me saying "I am pretty sure you'd do just fine getting a smaller paycheck." Cost of R&D. Cost of licensing. Cost of marketing. Cost of shipping. Cost. Cost. Cost. Lowering the price only does ONE thing; lowers the money eFX makes from their products. If it were you on the other end, would you be willing to bring home a smaller check to your family just because some random person on the internet was "pretty sure you made a good profit?" You are just blindly making statements that would have very real world consequences.

We're all random people on the internet as far as I can tell. So no, they're not going to listen to you or me. I seriously doubt they're suffering for money either, especially after all those pre-orders for their Marvel products....

How much of eFX's products can I afford? None! I would love to get a biker scout, but I am not because I don't have the money to get it. But just because I don't have the money doesn't mean that eFX is evil or that their pricing scheme is insane or that I think they should lower their price just for me. Is $700 a lot of money? Heck yes! Is it too much money for a biker scout? No. Do I have it? No. Does whether or not I have it change the value of the helmet? No.

I never said they were evil. Hitler was evil. Too much money for a biker scout? Yea, I still disagree. Perhaps my thought process is skewed by the fact that I see full costumes being produced for the same price as that helmet. Hell, my snowtrooper was $800 at cost. And I've used the hell out of it at over 125 troops in about 5 years. Will I get that kind of return with this helmet? Maybe if I sold it down the road. Maybe if EFX goes the way of MR, yea, especially. I remember when the MR clone helmets came out, all of which were about the $400 range, the base white IIRC being a bit cheaper, but not as "limted" as the other variations. They stuck up in the $500-$600 range for just the basic white versions, leaving the other variations at higher mark ups (see my last post regarding ebay)

Then, I'd say a year prior to MR shutting down, the clone helmets were going for as low as $125 MINT, which is when I scored one. Then BAM, MR goes, the value shoots up, and I see the same clone helmet that I have being offered at retail+ prices

- - - Updated - - -

In all your angst, I have lost your point, because my answer to both questions is "So what?" Yes, there are people out there who will buy limited edition items and turn around and sell them for a profit. Yes, there are distributors who will buy at wholesale and then sell them retail. What does that have to do at all with the question at hand or the price-point at which eFX is selling the helmets?

That was in response to your comment on them selling out in minutes. Yes, they're selling out, but what normal, average joe collectors are spending VS a business, with substantially more income to pull $$ from should be factored into "who's" buying. EFX can care less, as they're selling their stock anyway.

We're all random people on the internet as far as I can tell. So no, they're not going to listen to you or me. I seriously doubt they're suffering for money either, especially after all those pre-orders for their Marvel products....

:lol Please promise me you will never run a business... ;)

Perhaps my thought process is skewed by the fact that I see full costumes being produced for the same price as that helmet. Hell, my snowtrooper was $800 at cost. And I've used the hell out of it at over 125 troops in about 5 years.

And I could buy 100+ used Honda Civics for the price of a Lamborghini and both drive down the road. You are comparing apples and elephants here. Those two things have very little to do with one another and have value for very different reasons. The reason the eFX scout helmet is $700 is not about how many troops you can get out of it. Heck... based on their license, it is not even technically supposed to be a wearable item! The value in the scout helmet is $700 all has to do with 2 things 1) the collector's market and 2) the pedigree of the helmet. If you dont' value either of those, then there are many many cheaper alternatives out there, but if you want something that has this lineage, from a licensed producer, $700 is what you are going to pay.

Are you arguing just to argue, or do you actually have an interest in justifying the statements you are making?

Yea - I have no idea what your beef is. Just don't buy one. If you don't have the means, then do something about it and don't tell EFX they should charge less.

You're so smart. Do you have any idea the amount of red tape there is to run a business? Lawyers, taxes, affordable health care act, import fees, insurance…I'm sure the costs go on and on.

If you buy one on the secondary market for less - then good for you. You won. Now try to sell it and make a profit. Ain't life great!

Not trying to be a jerk to you. You and I don't make the rules, we just have to live with them. Running a small business is very challenging. You take all the risk and liability. It's not a non-profit business. It is very important EFX makes money. They have employees…their employees have kids and mouths to feed. I hate to have to spell this out so much. If they don't make money, kids don't get fed.

The more rules and regs that need to be followed, the more it cost to run the business. This cost must be passed on to the consumer.

If you make these out of your garage off the radar, then there is less cost.

If you are correct and EFX made a bad business decision, the helmets don't sell, then the price will be lowered.

Rant Over!

Last edited:
At the end of the day I still think the helmet is worth it. I've ordered one with a local dealer. Efx doesn't release a massive amount of Star Wars stuff compared to how many years they've had the liscence. They put a tone of R&D into thier products and I know from Gino that this helmet was the more difficult to get right. It's been years of R&D and if you look at that and then the pedigree it's definetly worth the $.

Ben

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back