Justice League

Marvel fans are going to hate it, DC fans are going to love it. Blame will be on Snyder...or Whedon. It'll be a great movie, or it'll suck. No one is going to agree on any of this. Let's just watch and try to enjoy it for what it is. For those who will like it, awesome! For those who won't, oh well! We don't need to split hairs.

Did DC fans like BvS to a large degree? I thought it pretty much fell flat there too.

And, no one said Whedon would care what people think just that he'd get the blame if it isn't any better than BvS or MoS....

Did DC fans like BvS to a large degree? I thought it pretty much fell flat there too.

And, no one said Whedon would care what people think just that he'd get the blame if it isn't any better than BvS or MoS....

There's only so much you can polish a turd and it isn't like he directed it or anything.

So far it looks like no one likes it... which is a good thing for me cause when it comes out on DVD and I watch it, I'll probably think "hey, this isn't so bad after all. Not a great movie but reasonably enjoyable." like I did with bvs. Contrasted with wonder woman, which when I finally saw it I was entirely underwhelmed.

The thing that sucks though is that you should be super psyched for a damn Justice League movie, and youre totally not. The best DC can muster is that "its not as bad as BvS". Which is a total bummer to me. I adored the Justice League cartoon, and I was a marvel fanboy growing up. I wish they would have consulted with the guys that made that show and said "hey, we want to do this as live action, what do we do?" I probably would have lost my mind.

But this crap? Pfffft. There is no way in hell Im paying money to see this in a theater.

The thing that sucks though is that you should be super psyched for a damn Justice League movie, and youre totally not. The best DC can muster is that "its not as bad as BvS". Which is a total bummer to me. I adored the Justice League cartoon, and I was a marvel fanboy growing up. I wish they would have consulted with the guys that made that show and said "hey, we want to do this as live action, what do we do?" I probably would have lost my mind.

But this crap? Pfffft. There is no way in hell Im paying money to see this in a theater.

I wouldn't see any movie in a theater, the last time I was in a movie theater was in the mid-90s and I have no interest in ever going again. But I do buy a lot of Blurays, but for DC movies... no. I'll find some other way to see it and if it's good, I'll buy it, otherwise, they don't get a red cent of my money. They need to earn it and DC has really driven a lot of people away, everyone but the mindless fanboys who will see anything because it has DC characters in it.

Pass.

So far it looks like no one likes it... which is a good thing for me cause when it comes out on DVD and I watch it, I'll probably think "hey, this isn't so bad after all. Not a great movie but reasonably enjoyable." like I did with bvs. Contrasted with wonder woman, which when I finally saw it I was entirely underwhelmed.
I’m not sure what reviews you saw, but from what I gathered, it’s more a consensus of “fun but flawed”. So could have been better but still entertaining is what I get out of that, not plain bad... Anyway I got my tickets for Friday, I’ll judge that myself !

Superman's CG mouth replacement in all but one scene is the most distracting thing I have ever seen in a major motion picture.

I really expected this to be a train wreck. Right now it’s just a mild hobo on the tracks bump...good job Warner, eventually you’ll get me in the theater! :lol

I am on the fence, but I am pretty sure the wife will not want to see this after the BVS debacle. It'll be a future rental, most likely. We did enjoy WW, though.

I’m not sure what reviews you saw, but from what I gathered, it’s more a consensus of “fun but flawed”. So could have been better but still entertaining is what I get out of that, not plain bad... Anyway I got my tickets for Friday, I’ll judge that myself !
Yea, anybody can find the few reviews that straight-up hated it. The consensus from what I've read is as you said, fun but flawed (which from what I heard prolly has a lot to do with the mandated running time.) Far from a home run, but far from a dud too.

My only hang up is I can't see it for another 2 damn weeks. Aarg!

Last edited:
Struth, the reviews must be pretty dire, there is STILL nothing up on Rotten Ts, 'so something or somebody must have requested that the links don't go public yet. I've yet to read anything good in the UK press so far.

I think this one sounds the most balanced and fair so far: Emergency Awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y09Xej7vlk

Last edited:
Struth, the reviews must be pretty dire, there is STILL nothing up on Rotten Ts, 'so something or somebody must have requested that the links don't go public yet. I've yet to read anything good in the UK press so far.

I think this one sounds the most balanced and fair so far: Emergency Awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y09Xej7vlk

FWIW: 134 reviews up: 40%. No consensus? :lol

The thing that bugs me about all of this is that I want DC to be awesome. Not going to draw comparisons to Marvel. I want DC to be awesome in their own way. Because of th enature of how the DC Universe came to be versus Marvel, the same approach wouldn't work. A bunch of heroes in their own isolated universes that never crossed over until the '60s when they saw what Marvel had done, a bunch of overpowered archetypal paragons... Well, that many nigh-invulnerable, super-strong, demigods either drastically overpower any potential criminals or require equally powerful baddies.

When "everyman" heroes like Green Arrow or even Batman get added to the mix, there's a big power disparity. Either the baddie will be so powerful the mere mortals can't touch them and they're relegated to the bench while the Big Boys handle things, or they can handle the villain and something needs to take the powerhouses out of play to keep the story from being over in five minutes.

They needed to have let their cinematic universe evolve organically, introducing and building up the characters and focusing on their Humanity over their powers (that second part they sorta did, albeit a bit heavy-handedly), they needed to have had their television universe exist within the same continuity to avoid confusion... And now they've taken the exact wrong lesson from the criticism they've received. None of the DC movies going forward will take place in the same continuity as these films. The new Batman film will be a standalone, the new Joker, the new Flash... It's just going to confuse audiences more. *sigh*

--Jonah

Well, I told myself if it was under 60% on RT I wouldn't bother going to the theater for it. Right now it's at 40% and only 47% on Metacritic so it's not looking promising. Too bad because I was hoping they would have built on the success of Wonder Woman and taken another step in the right direction, but seems like it's just another mess only not as big of one as BvS and Suicide Squad.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back