The Probe Droid Resin Kit Instructions Tread

Oooooh no. I'm not dipping into my Matildas and Karls for this one, as I will do that for the scratch build! This thread is for solving the parts puzzle and making instructions, so I'm thinking these pieces should be included off the bat....

I can send them to Mike for casting of course, but I want to hear from David and Mike first. Maybe they already have them?

Also - am I making something up for the under-the-gun-turret area? As it stands, there's nothing to put under there, and something needs to fit in that space.

Still looking for that Jason, well, havent for a while, but i have a few hunches i need to follow up on, just need the energy to drag the kits down from thew shelves TBH.

lee

I don't mean to speak for Dave, but I think the plan was to use a little of the extra brass that comes with the kit (J yours didn't have that because it came straight from me) as a stand in. I was not even aware that there was something under that part until about 1/2 way thru the molding and casting.

I think the plan is to use some of that brass as a stand in and if we can find the part i will mold it and cast up some to send out to everyone.

mike

Mike - I'll do that in the instructions then, thanks!

Dave - There's one leg that I think needs one more part - am confirming this evening!

And those dimensions from corner to corner will still fit inside the neck area between body and head? If I'm calculating right, we need a clearance of just around 4.25" for it to fit inside the neck area.

Last edited:
The 3" square was the one I was eyeballing. It's all going to hide inside the 4-ish" neck any way, so it won't matter, I think? I'll be hogging out the resin and replacing with acrylic anyway. Pre cut to house the servo and bearing assembly... that's the loose plan.

I just meant if you measure the lazy susan diagonally from corner to corner, it measures out to about 4.25" Rather than 3" Just a heads up. I don't have the model here at home so I can't measure to see if it's got that much clearance. Worst case we can cut the corners off the lazy susan. :)

Aslo, I plan to draft a lasercut neck assembly to work with the head servo Jim Shima recommended. I am also thinking this would be a good bearing ring to use?

Low Profile Lazy Susans - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Jason et al,

I do not know this specific product, but my experience with other - albeit way larger - turntable bearings is they ask for a good amount of energy to rotate (and the 200 lbs. (weight) rating indicates this one is equally constructed)... Possibly too much for a standard servo?

Cheers,
Falk

Aslo, I plan to draft a lasercut neck assembly to work with the head servo Jim Shima recommended. I am also thinking this would be a good bearing ring to use?

Low Profile Lazy Susans - Rockler Woodworking Tools

What do you guys think? I will offer the laser cut parts to jive with the servo and the bearing assembly - which ever we all decide on.

Jason, did you pick up any/either of the turntables I reco'd from wonderfest? I'm not doing the resin, but rather the scratch -- same size either way. Wondering if one I picked up will work.

Jason et al,

I do not know this specific product, but my experience with other - albeit way larger - turntable bearings is they ask for a good amount of energy to rotate (and the 200 lbs. (weight) rating indicates this one is equally constructed)... Possibly too much for a standard servo?

Cheers,
Falk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying -- but the "rating" is the MAXIMUM load that the table/bearings will operate properly. Not the load it takes to rotate. I have similar turntables as these and they rotate with the same easy that a lazy susan turns in your kitchen cabinets -- very little effort. Rotating effort only increases with the increase of the seated load increasing.

Quincy - I missed that, rats!

So any one recommend a turntable? I'd like to order something so I can get cracking!

Are you familiar with Berkey System stuff like this?

750 Rotational Bearing Insert | | Berkey System

I use there stuff on camera rigs and i've seen a lot of effects guys build mechanical rigs with them. They have pretty tight tolerances generally, so you might get away from some of the "wobble" that could be inherent in a consumer lazy susan.

I was just browsing bearings this afternoon and saw that same thing and thought it would be great for this project. Nice and compact. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back